• rear

4 57.14%
  • either

1 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Of course beggars can't be choosers so if my dad decides to help me pay for a fwd car I'm not going to say no!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Rear wheel drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    Rear wheel drive.
    Easier to do donuts

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrabbyCrabby View Post
    Is DaddyLarge still around? One that he'd be able to share his wisdom on
    Happy to.

Without boring everyone with four pages on the basics of vehicular dynamics, the short answer is that for the vast majority of people it doesn't make the slightest difference.

Modern FWD chassis are designed by clever folk that have it all pretty well nutted out. Unless your idea of a good night out is to do burnouts in the local carpark or you're planning on hitting a few track days, unless you were told you'd likely never know the difference by sitting behind the wheel.

Like-for-like, front wheel drive cars are lighter, safer, more fuel efficient and more roomy inside. Rear wheel drive cars offer better performance and control - but ONLY if you really know what you're doing, which most don't and never need to - and that's about it.

The only reason why Ford and Holden still make large rear wheel drive cars here is marketing. They appeal to yobbos with Brocky fantasies who think that owning a HRT barmat and having a loud exhaust somehow imparts upon them superior driving skills. Even this lot are running out of time - give it five years and Ford won't be selling RWD Falcons, and give it ten years and Holden won't be selling RWD Commodores. There's a reason for this.

If you do a lot of miles on gravel roads (maybe 20% of your total kilometres) an AWD is a good option. Otherwise, the drivetrain layout is probably the stupidest possible criteria for buying a car. It just doesn't make a difference.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Nagari  (19-06-2012),Sairz  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Theres a massive difference imo. Rear wheel cars are safer i think. Id prefer them, one example is driving on wet roads, the front wheel drive is scary, it aquaplanes a lot more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Sairz  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found that too indigo. All my front wheel drive cars aquaplaned in the wet and driving on gravel roads was horrendous and especially dangerous around corners. They were small cars though so perhaps it was something to do with them being so light? We live rurally and drive on gravel a lot so that's why we changed to awd. Goodluck with the car search TN

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Urban Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (19-06-2012),Sairz  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will most likely be doing a lot of highway driving. I have driven a fwd once before in wet weather and I took off too fast (not like foot to floor though) and the steering wheel went weird, locked up. That was a bit scary. But it was a little hatch back, I'm looking at sedans, hopefully that makes a difference

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, once you're used to driving any car, it is as safe or dangerous as you make it. However, having said that, a few fun facts:

RWD cars are more evenly weighted. Having the diff sending the drive to the rear wheels allows for better weight distribution, whereas a FWD vehicle has all the weight in the front, hence the understeer that FWD cars suffer from.

RWD however are more prone to oversteer - leading to skidding especially in wet road conditions.

Because of the weight situation, you will want to ensure you rotate your tyres particularly regularly in a FWD vehicle as the rear wheels literally do nothing whilst the fronts do ALL the work. You should do so for a RWD but you can kind of get away with it a little more with them.

Really, it boils down to preference. I have a 15 year old BMW 540i - V8 RWD - and hands down it is the safest feeling car I have owned. My work car - V6 RWD new Falcon ute - is one of the most dangerous feeling! A mate has a FWD Mazda 6 and it's a lovely car to drive and feels very safe.

I think either RWD or FWD can be safe, depending on make and model and, of course, the driver!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

Sairz  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Theres a massive difference imo. Rear wheel cars are safer i think. Id prefer them, one example is driving on wet roads, the front wheel drive is scary, it aquaplanes a lot more.
    if you're aquaplaning then you're driving too fast.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagari View Post
    if you're aquaplaning then you're driving too fast.
    Uhhhh soo not true! It can be done at 90km/hour!?