+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are the pros and cons of a National Curriculum in your opinion?

why are we going federally for education and health matters?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    So everyone in Australia receives the same education, no matter which state you are in and moving between states will be easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see a positive in the education, in that children can freely move around the country (due to parents work, etc) and still be taught the same content for the same year level, if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    pro that all kids across Australia are now being taught the same stuff so equal opportunity

con- guess just hard for some states who are a bit behind the national curriculum to catch up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I don't know why it isn't implemented already...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Con: It allows for far less differentiation of the curriculum. I'm sure this may be less noticeable once it 'comes through' the cycle, but in the school I teach in, they used to strand the Year 9 and 10 Maths and Science classes (to some degree) and now they are unable to...all students are now taught the same content, no matter if they are ready for it or not (unless they have an IEP).

While they are trying to counteract this through class sizes (i.e. lower ability kids are in a smaller class so aim to have more teacher contact time) and obviously actually teaching methods, they are finding a whole heap of the kids are totally turning off, considering themselves failures (rather than finding success in what they 'can' do..I mean Year 11 and 12 Maths has at least 5 different strands, so why should all of the juniors be expected to be exactly the same!), and then turning into behaviour problems because they are disengaged...which of course means that they fall further behind!

I also hate that it means that our kids only get to select two electives...definitely cuts their choices of exploring where their talents and abilities lie...as well as the fact that once the kids hit Senior (in the 'non-compulsary at the stage subjects'), we have the potential to have less skilled students as they've been less likely to have experienced the subject as a deep level early on.

I'm sure there's also a lot of good things (i.e. I had six different primary schools with a father in the army, so some continuity probably would have been a good thing, but don't feel it impacted in me too negatively) and I do believe that it will help to build the basics better, but it's certainly creating lots of issues at a high school level at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Massive Con: The kids already in the system have been overloaded "catching up" here in QLD. My son's report card (sent home today) explains it all, his literacy skills are up the "****" so to speak. He's struggling

The kids already halfway through the old system are finding it overwhelming and are just expected to deal with it! It sucks! Homework times have doubled and the amount of work sent home to try and catch up quickly is increasing (well at our school it is!) My son is burning out and digging his heels in at the Age of nearly 8 and in Grade TWO

Pro: New students entering the system will have the same curriculum no matter what school and what state they attend.