+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off of a spin off, what discipline methods do you use?

Just curious to know what methods large families use?

We only have 3 children, I use 123 magic but I'm finding it hard to enforce the staying in time out thing they both muck around or get up and I spend a lot of time going backhand forth. I've thought about locks on the doors but we rent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For the 3yo he gets put in his room for destructive behaviour but mostly i can distract him with other things and that works.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 07-08-2012 at 08:49.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    123 Magic here

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a little embarassed to say that DS doesn't generally need a lot of discipline. He's a pretty reasonable and chilled out dude. I don't use time out but what I call 'chill out', so he's removed from a situation and I sit with him if he wants me to, then when he's calm we go back to whatever it was. When he's a lot older if needed i'll use time out. I use natural consequences for some things, but I don't think it works for everything. As he gets older I'll remove privileges and favourite toys. It's pretty much how we were parented and I think it worked really well. Things like if we didn't do our chores we didn't get all our pocket money, if we were silly at dinner we got no dessert, if we fought with each other we had a favourite toy confiscated, or weren't allowed tv.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is the parents of large families section

I know when my children are flying solo I don't need to discipline them either.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    This is the parents of large families section

I know when my children are flying solo I don't need to discipline them either.
    Sorry I realised that after I posted I came from a large family though (5 of us)
    and it worked well

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use a consequence base system. Older 2 go to time out- opposite sides of the kitchen facing the wall for time out or they pull faces, Maddy is the most challenging..... At 2 time out is near impossible she just won't stay. Of course we also use other consequences eg fight on the trampolin then no trampoline for an hour, fight over a toy- the toy goes away, tv/iPad goes for miss 7, and of course if you finish your dinner you get dessert- just yoghurt/fruit but it seems to work- stressing though as miss 2 is getting naughtier and Hannah is copying and number 5 is on the way. Eeeeeek possibly slightly chaotic mess here. I do find clear warnings and boundaries work with the older 2 but Maddy is like Russian roulette. Your boys are young still I'd just be fair and consistent and hope it works (that's my plan anyway) and I believe a string drink never went astray (of course I can't do that at the moment)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We have six kids and we tailor our discipline to each child and their personal currency, Eg dd2 hates washing up, so that a job I can get her to do, ds1 loves his computer so a ban on that really gets him.

I use a huge range of things.

I won't use 123 anymore as found it taught them they didn't need to stop or do something straight away. I do use warnings.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Homemaker  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive used the 'traffic light system' in the past.
    Basically its a picture of a traffic light with 3 colored circles, red, orange, green.
    Normally the traffic light will stay on green but if child starts to play up it goes to orange and then if they keep up the bad behaviour the light goes red and you dish out your consequence.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 05-11-2012 at 09:06.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

Homemaker  (02-11-2012)