+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Graduate entry nursing or bachelor degree…?

Hello

After finally finishing my B. Com (after toying with Law and Arts as well) I have realised I really should have done nursing from the start and now want to start asap! I have seen that there are various options available including;
    • Masters of Nursing Practise/ Masters of Nursing Science at Monash/Melbourne Uni or Bachelor of Nursing (graduate entry) at Latrobe – which would take 2 years (or more part time if able)
    • Bachelor of Nursing (at any of these uni’s or ACU) – which would take 3 years (or more part time)
    I guess I am wondering whether anyone would recommend to undertake the 3 year bachelor’s degree over the 2 year courses and why or vice versa. I don’t have a science background but hopefully my interest in the subject matter should mean with lots of hard work (and undertaking the anatomy bridging course on offer) this isn’t too tricky….?

Also, any suggestions re: uni’s in Melbourne for nursing?

Cheers and thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not heard about the 2 yr degree at latrobe, the only 2 yr nursing courses i have been aware of are those that are for EEN (Diploma in nursing). I am doing B.Nursing at VU and i love it. VU seems to have a bad rep but it is really a great uni. I think the most important thing when your studying and have children is that you pick a uni that is close to home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I did cert IV Nursing and then went on to do the 2 year Bachelor at VU. The bridging course for 3 weeks in summer was full on and that was with my prior knowledge.
    I think if you are really passionate about it and will put in the hard yards you can make the 2 year course work. There were quite a few people in the course without any previous nursing experience/study.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also have a commerce degree and did the 2 year grad entry B Nursing (at QUT so not one of the uni's you're looking at, but probably a similar course)

Found it pretty full on first semester as we were basically catching up on a full years work. So large workload but it was very doable- just don't expect to get much of anything else outside uni done! Wasn't too difficult a course from second semester onwards though.

Was also good as there were lots of people who had also done previous study and were a bit older like me so we all hung out together and that made it easier as well.

At the end of the day you come out with the same qualification and get the same registration as all the other grads from the other courses. If I was doing it again I'd still do the 2 year B nursing over the standard entry 3 year B nursing. Felt during my first year out I was just as much up to speed as the ones who did any other course.

Don't know much about the masters as I don't think any of those courses were available in my area when I was looking into courses.

Good luck with it all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you done previous anatomy and physiology study? If not you probably don't qualify for the 2 year graduate entry one at latrobe- from my understanding of the course.
    TBH I haven't done either, so it is just off what i have heard, but the 18 month Masters is REALLY full on. Only option is to do it full time I believe, and it is a tough 18 months. BUT, you are done faster, and out there working faster too. So that is a real bonus. If you are wanting or thinking you will need to go part time, do an undergrad bachelor degree.