+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How is it financially possible?

I posted this in single parents but thought i should post it here.

My DD and i live alone. I recieve centrelink carers payment benifits as DD is special needs.

My boyfriend and i are considering living together, but even though he earns a very modest wage, my centrelink benifits will be dropped to just $320 a fortnight.

How is it financially possible to live with a partner??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well Your BF needs to provide for you if you are in a relationship and living together. Many families are in this position, have you looked at getting employment? And $320 a fortnight is a huge amount for a dependent partner to receive from centrelink. If his pay is that low, you should also be entitled to rent assistance and help with child care fees.
    Do you get child support? if you dont mind let us know the exact amount you can get and your bills etc and I am happy to help you work it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    (I mean this with all due respect as I know nothing of your circumstances ... I assume that you bf is not the dad?)

You will need to get a job to earn more $$, as you are receiving a carets payment I realise this could be an issue?. It will become your bf resp to support you and dd financially ... Sucks hey? Does the $300 incl fb?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember being in your shoes. It was bl00dy hard. Basically centrelink then considers you a "family" and your partner's income is considered family income. This is not so for child support which is interesting. For me, becoming partnered meant my childcare fees skyrocketed (I was already working 5 days a week) and the tiny f/n payment I was getting ceased. I changed jobs and industries to earn more, it was all I could do. Sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry guys, i should have given more information. Because my daughter is special needs its not practicle for me to work outside school hours and she still needs me as her carer before and after school. I've applied for a teacher aide position and am currently studying to be a qualified teacher aide so as soon as i get employment we'll be ok, but in the mean time, theres not much other work i can look at that will accomidate my daughters needs.

I do get child support, although not reguarly. When it does come in its a substancial amount.

The $320 includes family tax, carers payment and carers allowance. I will keep a health care card thank fully.

My boyfriend is not the BF. (He's much better haha).
    He earns approx $600/week.

DD and i are currently in a community housing unit, paying $140/wk rent, and with my partner moving in it will go up to approx $240/wk (market value).

I do desperatly want to work, ive been volunteering at my daughters school to get a foot in the door so to speak. So hopefully it wont be long until im in paid employment. In the mean time, my partner will either move in here, or have to find a place on his own to rent as the home he's currently in is being sold (was paying cheap rent to family).

Its so confusing, there's pro's and con's.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What about rent assistance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    centrelink said we wouldnt get rent assistance. i was on the phone to them this morning (felt like ALL morning!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Looking at those figures i guess we'd survive, but we wouldnt be able to put anything away for rainy days, it'd be tight (boyfriend has a car loan to pay too).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinOnAPrayer View Post
    Sorry guys, i should have given more information. Because my daughter is special needs its not practicle for me to work outside school hours and she still needs me as her carer before and after school. I've applied for a teacher aide position and am currently studying to be a qualified teacher aide so as soon as i get employment we'll be ok, but in the mean time, theres not much other work i can look at that will accomidate my daughters needs.

I do get child support, although not reguarly. When it does come in its a substancial amount.

The $320 includes family tax, carers payment and carers allowance. I will keep a health care card thank fully.

My boyfriend is not the BF. (He's much better haha).
    He earns approx $600/week.

DD and i are currently in a community housing unit, paying $140/wk rent, and with my partner moving in it will go up to approx $240/wk (market value).

I do desperatly want to work, ive been volunteering at my daughters school to get a foot in the door so to speak. So hopefully it wont be long until im in paid employment. In the mean time, my partner will either move in here, or have to find a place on his own to rent as the home he's currently in is being sold (was paying cheap rent to family).

Its so confusing, there's pro's and con's.
    How long until you are qualified?? May be better to wait for him to move in until then?
    My gf is going thru a similar thing ATM .. She has met the man of her dreams and she is moving in ...her dd is 4 so no school but her daughter is in cc as she works .. She has had to increase her hours to supplement her lost pps payment but her cc cost has now gone thru the roof. She is very lucky that her bf now considers her and her dd his family so the $$$ aren't too much of an issue.
    Pls don't continue to receive pps after he moves in you will get caught and the consequence are massive

Thanks
    Reviews
    And don't forget the pros would be pretty awesome too