+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Going to the UK & Europe - what age for the kids?

Okay, so what age would it be easier to travel with three kids (currently 27m, 15m & 5w).

Hubby wants to go when the eldest is 5, but I'm thinking it would be better if the youngest was at least 5...

For those who have gone to Europe & the Uk, how old were your kids & did they enjoy it.

(the flight part is a whole different story )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was 7, and the youngest on my first OS trip. Had a ball and remember lots. I would wait till youngest is of a similar age as they will want to remember lots of it too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to marie45 For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    I was 7, and the youngest on my first OS trip. Had a ball and remember lots. I would wait till youngest is of a similar age as they will want to remember lots of it too.
    Awesome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have to tell your hubby you are right. I went last year with 6 and 9 year olds and it was fantastic. They were old enough to be responsible and also appreciate what they are seeing and doing much more than if they were younger. Each of them had a back-pack they were responsible for. We travelled in UK& Europe for 6 1/2 weeks using mainly trains (except for UK & one week in Tuscany). It was fantastic and I would go again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would say the youngest needs to be at least 5 or 6 - no naps, no special food, no nappies, no prams, cots, highchairs.

Ideally you want them remember, enjoy and maybe learn something too.

Carrying their own stuff would be great too.

In terms of the flight - you want them to be able to sit for AGES!!! They need to be able to watch films or play games, read books etc. so again at least 5 or 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took my son at 5 weeks. I think ita better to take when older as he won't know anything about it and we went Legoland etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    We travelled to UK/Europe when ds was 18 months & it was a big challenge & would not recommend traveling that far with young children. Don't get me wrong I have some wonderful memories from the trip but ds was sick on & off through half the trip & we even spent a night in hospital in Ireland from a gastro bug that he picked up & this was the day before one of dh's good friends wedding! I agree with the pp and wait until the youngest is at least 5. This way they are old enough to be able to help with their bags etc and enjoy the experience as well as yourselves as you won't be stressing about nap times etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to the uk with my mum and dad to visit family at about 3 and I wish they had waited because I really remember nothing of it and it was the only time I met my grandmother. In saying that I'm still glad I went because I did hey to meet her and I have been told so many stories that I feel like I remember some of it.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We just came back from Europe. DS1 is almost 3, DS2 is 14 months. Very young, but we had a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat. We didn't have a ridiculous amount of bags, we made sure we packed smartly. We packed some nappies, but mostly bought nappies and wipes over there.

We are going again when they are older as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum took me to the UK when I was 4 and while I remember little snippets I don't think I was old enough to remember it properly