+ Reply to Thread
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is Bio Oil safe to use in Pregnancy??

Hi Ladies,

I have been using Bio Oil since i was around 7 weeks pregnant (currently 23 weeks) and have just read on the back of the bottle that it contains high levels of Vitamin A. I thought this was a Big NO NO in pregnancy? I always assumed that Bio Oil was specifically designed to prevent stretch marks in pregnancy? So now i am a little worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know many women who have used bio oil during pregnancy.

The amount that would be absorbed into your blood ****** would be quite small.

If you don't want to use it, you could always do what I did and use coconut oil instead. I didn't get a single stretch mark on my belly. I did get some on my hips, but I had forgotten to put the oil there!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveyDovey For This Useful Post:

EternalOptimist  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It says on the website that it's safe to use during pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I assume you can as the leaflet inside specifies how to apply it during pregnancy. If you are worried i would just use a different oil, i recommend avocado oil as it penetrates deeper than other oils (apparently) or vitamin E oil (but any will do - almond oil, rosehip, jojoba etc).
    None of this will stop stretchmarks, you either get them or you don't (and whether it happens has nothing to do with if you used a certain product or not) but it feels nice and helps with the itch of stretching skin.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

EternalOptimist  (21-06-2012),Guest1234  (19-06-2012)

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the replies ladies, I figured I was just worrying for no reason LOL.

I did send Bio Oil an email though and for anyone reading this thread, this was the response i got:

Thank you for your email and I would be very happy to advise you that yes, Bio-Oil is safe to use throughout your pregnancy and in fact one of its primary uses is to help prevent the development of stretch marks in pregnancy. By way of interest, Bio-Oil has been assessed on a per ingredient basis by experts to determine its safety profile. Bio-Oil has been used by pregnant women for 20 years and is recommended worldwide by gynecologists and midwives.

With regards to the level of Vitamin A in Bio-Oil, it is low enough to render harmless to the unborn child. Most healthcare professionals agree that for safety, the daily intake of Vitamin A by an expectant mother should not exceed 5,000 I.U per gram. Taking absorption factors into account, an expectant mother would have to use more than 110ml of Bio-Oil per day, or almost two 60ml bottles, before exceeding the recommended daily maximum intake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used it from 8 weeks to 37 weeks and it was fine : )