+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please to figure something out

So I changed my ftb part b to being paid at the end Of the year in feb. when we did our estimate for this year we estimated a low amount so we were getting ftb a and ftb b. he then got a new job in september which paid enough that we can't get ftb a now. Obviously we need to pay back what we already had gotten in ftb a as his new yearly income means we shouldn't get anything. We are quite happy to pay it back but is it fair that obviously when we first did our estimate we had no idea he would get this great paying job and then not be entitled to it and have to pay back what we had been paid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah it's fair. The same has happened with us. DF started a new job last year, and we didn't think we would hit the estimate we had given to centrelink (57k) coz of the training he did, but he fast worked out that our estimate should really be 70k coz he was going to definitely make more than 57k with the overtime he has done etc. So they have cut the payment back to $20 a fortnight which I have elected to get as one lump sum. We may have to owe them but that's fair enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are totally happy to pay it though just a bit gutted we won't be getting a lump sum of our ftb b that we were sort of counting on to pay a few overdue things. What we would of got will be offseted against the ftb a we need to pay back. On that note I am do THANKFUL we did stop the payments of ftb b as otherwise we would be paying back more as it would not have offseted the ftb a!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are quite happy to pay it as we were overpaid. I am thankful that we did stop the ftb b and opted to have it paid at the end of the year as that will offset how much ftb a we were overpaid. That Is a bonus although we won't be getting a lump sum to put on some very overdue things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is the question whether it is fair?

Yes, it is. In order to ensure equality, they said an annual threshold. If they allowed people to earn more or less in certain parts of the year, people could have a high paying job for the part of the year and get a benefit and be better off overall by having both the higher income and the government money.

I avoid this problem by getting ftb annually.

Although you can play the system more with income support payments than ftb, in that you can do high paying contract work for 6 months, earn what the average person earns in a year (or more), and then claim the dole for the other six months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are quite happy to pay it as we were overpaid. I am thankful that we did stop the ftb b and opted to have it paid at the end of the year as that will offset how much ftb a we were overpaid. That Is a bonus although we won't be getting a lump sum to put on some very overdue things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lettabean View Post
    I've never had an overpayment, but is it possible to negotiate a payment plan with centrelink now so you still get the supplement as a lump sum? I saw reference to this type of arrangement in the other ftb thread.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I've never had an overpayment, but is it possible to negotiate a payment plan with centrelink now so you still get the supplement as a lump sum? I saw reference to this type of arrangement in the other ftb thread.
    Yeah if you get onto it before the end of June you may still get the lump sum?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes of course it's fair. This years income should be a combination of his old pay anad new pay. How long has he had the higher paying job for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Yes of course it's fair. This years income should be a combination of his old pay anad new pay. How long has he had the higher paying job for?
    I was going to say the same.

I would wait and see how it pans out at tax time. If he hasn't worked at that higher paying job a full year you may not have as much as you think to repay.