+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving!

Hi!

My partner and i are moving in a month, we have a 6 month DS. I have heard so many horror stories about bubs not settling well into the new house etc..

Has anyone moved and bubs settled in ok? Or are all these horror stories true?

I plan on making the transition to the new house as smooth as possible, making sure that he stays on track with his routine in the moving process but im so worried he is going to be in all sorts once we have moved...

If anyone has any tips for me id be forever grateful.

TIA. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Set his room up first thing, so he has time to play and get used to where things will be.

I have moved many times with all 4 of the kids, I just make sure the youngests room is ready and play some games in there and make it homey. I have had no problem. I just stuck to my routine and put them to bed at the normal time in the normal routine, they always seemed to settle really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt find it to be a problem.. with our first we moved twice once when he was 9 months once at 3yo and he settled quickly both times

.. still in the same house we brough home Ds2 to
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I've moved many times with DS1 and DS2 as we are in the military. Here are a few tips I found ueful:
    1. I agree- set up bub's room first- cot up as soon as you collect the keys to your new place.
    2. Have one parent dedicated to looking after DS during the move period, which may be over several days- if you try and juggle and get involved in the moving process, it will just get frustrating, so I have found it best for 1 parent to stay out of it as much as possible.
    3. Stick to your usual routine- go to the park, for a walk, try and maintain nap time and bedtime routine.
    4. Have a container with all of bub's stuff handy at all times- I use a washing basket!- eg: bottles, sterilised water, jars of food, nappies, wipes, clothes for easy access.
    5. Set up kettle and microwave as soon as you can if you use these things for bub.
    5. Not sure how far you are moving, or if you have friends/ family nearby, but if possible, it might be worthwhile spending moving day there with bub if you can.
    All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We haven't moved house with a bub yet, but we go away with our kiddies quite a lot. I had virtually no issues with my ds when we went away in terms of him settling and not being disrupted by the new place. My dd is different, but the good news is that now at 8.5 months is when she started noticing she was in a new place, previously she was fine. We just went away for 3 nights and she was hard to settle the first night (we arrived at night) as she kept looking around the room, but from the next morning she was happy to be away.

I'd suggest making sure you have easy access to the pram and probably a portacot and changes of clothes/bedding for bubs. Oh and plenty of nappies/wipes/etc to last a couple of days and you'll be fine. Think of it as though you're taking bubs on holidays for at least 2 - 3 days so you don't have the pressure of needing to fully unpack all the baby stuff asap (I know when my dd is changing sizes of clothes I have trouble restocking her drawers/etc with the new size as I find the time I have free is when she's asleep!).

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If its a nearby move use the same sheets you took off the bed (unwashed) so they smell like bed/home. Obviously this won't work for interstate moves where things will be in transit for long periods.
    We move heaps (DH in the navy) and never had any probs with either kiddies. We do as the others have suggested pack the kids stuff last and unpack it first. Take the kids away during the packing or get them involved (older ones) with dd she was 11 months for her first move we put everything we didn't want packed into the master bedroom wardrobe (was a walk in) including some toys we were taking and set up the portacot in there too kept the routine as much as we could and she napped in the portacot in the wardrobe for ages. And the removalists didn't disturb her as she was tucked out of the way but was still close so DH and I could tend to her as needed.