+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Induction due to SPD

Has anyone ever been successful in getting an induction date due soley to SPD?

I have an appointment tomorrow at the hospital so plan to ask, but over the last two days things have become a lot worse for me and I'm wondering if anyone has ever been induced due to their SPD being completely unmanageable. I am terrified that going to 40 weeks will ultimately cause lasting damage (I plan on saying this tomorrow) as I always carried around extra aches and joint pain after my second birth.

So if anyone has any stories, even if you were told no what were the reasons? I'm 36 weeks tomorrow so I'm hoping they can do something for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

Sorry to hear your spd had really flared up. I had really bad spd during pregnancy. The thing with spd is you just need to be mindful of the position you give birth in, there is no need to opt for a csection purely to prevent further damage. If you can avoid an epi(so you can listen to your body) that is prob your best option. A csection is major abdominal surgery and you will benefit from a vaginal birth if you can manage(I ended up with a csection due to failure to progress) but talk to the doctor about your best option.
    Are you receiving physio for your spd? If you can afford it see a physio and attend a clinical pilates class run by physiotherapists. This will give you the best chance.
    If you sleep on your side with a pillow between ur knees that cam help with some of the pain.
    Hope your appt goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went thru a public hospital and I had SPD so severely that just moving a leg could cause my pelvic bone to slide against each other and then a VERY audible "crunch" as it went back in...and I was still told that they RARELY induce just coz I SPD. However as I had it so severely (the pillow btwn my knees was a necessity and I was still in agony...some days I couldn't walk at all) my physio told me that I ABSOLUTELY could not give birth on my back as it would do severe permanent damage...after speaking to the OB I was given an elective csection...purely coz I knew I'd want to go onto my back at some point and I was terrified of getting perm damage.
    Having said that my csection went perfectly...and I haven't looked back. The best part is (and feel free to research this) that like MOST ppl with SPD my SPD disappeared immediately rather than taking up to 6wks to subside...
    Good luck! I hope u get what u want but def discuss perm damage with them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really doubt they'd support it, you need to be quite mobile when labouring with SPD so being induced would restrict you and put your pelvis at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I guess it's the mental help an induction date would provide if that makes sense. Knowing when the pain would finally be over, or at least a few hours to go. I know if it keeps going I will somehow cope, seems incredibly daunting at the moment of course. I'll definitely be talking to them tomorrow and see if there's anything else I can, I'll try it all. And will look into birth positions. Last time I was on the bed crouching kind of and gave birth that way. The SPD did go away, or I at least didn't notice it, but like I said I still get the aches and joint discomfort a year or so after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubs'n'Roses View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess it's the mental help an induction date would provide if that makes sense. Knowing when the pain would finally be over, or at least a few hours to go. I know if it keeps going I will somehow cope, seems incredibly daunting at the moment of course. I'll definitely be talking to them tomorrow and see if there's anything else I can, I'll try it all. And will look into birth positions. Last time I was on the bed crouching kind of and gave birth that way. The SPD did go away, or I at least didn't notice it, but like I said I still get the aches and joint discomfort a year or so after.
    I definitely understand, I almost begged to have my c-section 2 weeks earlier as the pain became unbearable. I think I cried non-stop for the last 2 months of my pregnancy. I only didn't because I had to wait for my mum to arrive in the country so my DH could be there with me instead of watching DS at home.

I joked about wanting to be put into a coma for the last few months and I was a bit serious there.

Fingers crossed baby decides to make an early appearance.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Bubs'n'Roses  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just one of those days where you go as if pregnancy isn't itself isn't a pain in the a$$ at this point, you got all these added joys.

DH wants to take me out to get my hair cut and to lunch so I'll feel better. I have a feeling lunch will be drive thru though lol! :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dear Bubs n' Roses, I feel your pain...I hope you can get the resolution you want.
    I have had SPD with DS1 and DS2, both of which were very fast and easy deliveries. This time around (I almost 32 weeks now), it is very severe. Standing up at all is agony, even with pain killers, and I use a wheelchair to get to Drs appointments, but even sitting up in that is so painful after the event. I have decided to have a c section this time for a variety of reasons, including the SPD- I can't even open my legs an inch. They are going to monitor me from 36 weeks and look at a c section at around 37 weeks. Baby is big and looking good. My only concern with an induction is that it could end in a c section anyway and I assume they might use an epidural so you wont be able to labour on your own, which could slow things down?? I totally understand how you feel, it is so terrible to be in pain and having a date to aim for gives alot of piece of mind. All the best, and let us know how you go. You are on the home straight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Littleriv - Wow! You poor thing! I didn't have SPD at all with my first, so was totally caught of guard second time round. I didn't think it was as bad this time around but I think I've been kidding myself. There's a lot pain to walk and just getting on the couch now I've had to have DH totally move me. When I do exercises I can get my legs to open a bit but I don't think its enough. All of this I will bring up tomorrow. My GP hasn't been too much help, just suggested more pain relief and do keep doing exercises. I'm so sorry you go through it too, and I hope that you don't have it get too much worse. Each passing week it seems that much worse and you can't imagine it being any harder to move and then another week.

I've been laying on the couch for a while as I was having strong Braxton Hicks before. Maybe this baby can feel my pain and wants to help?