+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Holiday Prices.. rip off.

WOW, just had a look at staying down at the Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast for holidays new years eve time for 7 days... (I live in Brisbane).. it's actually cheaper for us to fly to Cairns at the same time, so even with flights included i've managed to find somewhere decent for cheaper. go figure. lol. !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is why we have now started to holiday in Bali and south east Asia, it is cheaper to go overseas than to holiday in our own state which is crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, why the prices are so high here is beyond me, i mean, do they want the business or not? It's a shame it's so high, because people with young families who can't afford those prices, miss out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    This is why we have now started to holiday in Bali and south east Asia, it is cheaper to go overseas than to holiday in our own state which is crazy.
    I agree, it's so much cheaper to go overseas. I would love to see more of Australia & support our tourism but it comes down to cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We wanted to go to Hamilton Island for our HM next year and almost died when we looked at the price, going to Phuket instead.

I don't think the Gold Coast is that expensive TBH... Have you looked on the wotif site?

ETA can you go off peak?
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 18-06-2012 at 08:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe if it wasn't around new years it wouldn't be so dear? We have been to gold coast a few times and found it quite cheap as there is so many hotels competing with each other. But around new years everything seems to be more expensive.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    New Years is the most expensive time to holiday here on the Sunshine Coast, but other times are definiately less expensive.
    Qld tourism has taken a real hit the last year or so - the floods, cyclones we've had have really influenced the way holiday makers perceive Qld as a holiday destination. Friends of ours have managing rights to a Noosa resort and the last couple of years have been the worst ever for trade.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Around new years, its like that everywhere! (every state i mean)

2 weeks after new years the prices drop i found.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Minchi;6638249] do they want the business or not? [QUOTE]

At New Years they do get the business, there are people who will pay it so they charge it. My family has a holiday house in a popular coastal suburb - renting it out for just the 2 weeks over christmas and NYE pays for the maintenance and bills for the rest of the year. Any other time of the year we don't rent it out as it's "normal" prices and we just use it ourselves.
    Last edited by shelle65; 18-06-2012 at 09:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a resort on the Gold Coast and even I was shocked at how high the prices were six months out! New years eve night is way overpriced it is the price of two and a half nights during peek season already, would have expected to see this price a month or two before new years but not six months out! Hate telling future guests rates over the christmas period it's so disgustingly high! My advice though if you wanted a cheaper rate, join the resorts loyalty program, most big resort brands have them and it is usually free to sign up. I am signed up to ours as sometimes it is a lot cheaper to book there instead of using my friends and family discount at work for my relatives.
    Last edited by maplefern; 18-06-2012 at 09:30.