+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaze View Post
    I'm public, but the hospital I'm delivering at states it is open to electives! For all I know the ob could be fine with it, I'm just worried that If he says no, that I'll want as much back up info as possible.

I'm willing to go as far as knowing what my rights are legally, because I genuinely feel passionately about getting this c-section!!!
    I think u need to write down all your reasons in a well written letter. If you have your reasons written and inform them you have read up about csection risks then I presume they will honor your wishes.

I have never heard of public hospitals openly doing csections but anxiety and fear can lead to ante natal depression and I know the ob will want to avoid that.

Just explain what is a very real and deep concern.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's sad that public hospitals have that policy, informed birth choices should always be an option where it's deemed 'safe'.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

cam11  (23-06-2012),Liddybugs  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assure you, every woman has had a horrible birthing experience I my family. In fact I forgot to mention several prolapses and a stillbirth!!

I go by my gut feeling on most things in life and in this case it would be completely naive of me to think that my birth will be better or different considering over 25 births were experienced this way in my family and thats only from my grandmas experiences to now.

So please don't find it hard to believe, because this is the reason I am so adamant about pulling through on my choice!!

I will definitely be showing the doc the anxiety this issue causes me and quite frankly will fight until I have my csection! I don't care how many obs I need to go through until I do.

I have researched csections till the ends of the earth and am fully aware of the risks etc but feel that this is the best option or me every time. Plus every woman who has then opted for a csection after an initial vaginal birth in my family has had no complications and is 100% grateful they were an option for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And no I'm not having twins! just one

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It sounds like you've done your research, which is the main thing I was going to suggest. The ob is probably going to be more sympathetic if you can show them that you're well-aware of the risks, yet still see these risks as preferable to or lesser than the emotional damage that worrying about a vaginal birth will bring you.

It upsets and angers me that any woman needs to "fight" for her preferred birth, I wish you every luck in achieving yours.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think go in, explain your thoughts, your feelings and let them know that this is what you want to happen. Express your severe anxiety. It is unfair that you have to argue and fight and back up your own choice for birth. Stick to your guns. In my experience, the public doctors do listen but love to triple check your sure you know what you want and the only way it to continually repeat yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthedummy View Post
    My advice?
    Every single mother and baby is different. Every singgle labor is different.
    I'd try naturally first, you may be perfectly fine and have a problem free birth.
    Just my opinion though

Sent from my Racer using BubHub
    I totally agree!
    And just because other members of your family have had issues doesn't necessarily mean you will op. My mother had major issues with 3 out of 5 of her pregnancies as did my sister. I had a tough time when delivering ds1 but that didn't put me off wanting a future natural birth and had a quick easy delivery with ds2.
    I would discuss your family history and your concerns with your ob and perhaps request very close monitoring during labour and early intervention should things not be progressing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just explain why you feel so strongly about it and you should be listened too.

For the record though- not a single woman in my family has had a positive birthing experience. Since as long as I know back! My mum and ALL her sister (4) had ALL of their babies via c-section after many lists long of dramas. Two cousins have also had c-sections. One elective for reasons similar to yours and one emergency. I was pretty petrified going into labour with DS.

I was fine. Yep, it was long but not an issue. In fact I had him in a birth centre without any help at all! He is the first natural delivery in the family for literally years. So, it *can* happen!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand where your fear is stemming from and am not undermining your concerns. But, you can't possibly predict the outcome of an individual pregnancy and certainly cannot compare one with another. Unless you're a doctor, ofcourse.

My mum had five pregnancies and had C-sections with all of us. Her first son was born 8 weeks early due to placenta previa and he died aged 6 months as a result. She never got to take him home as in those days medicine and technologly wasn't as advanced as it it today and his lungs weren't developed and failed to develop properly. With me she had Pre eclampsia and another emergency C-section.
    My point is, based on your reckoning, I should have had troubles and issues with my pregnancy and birth as well; my fiest was absolutely uneventful and he was born via spontaneous vaginal birth. This pregnancy has been perfect as well. So try not to compare your own child's birth with the experiences of you family as it doesn't guaruntee at all that you will have an issue.
    My son was also born "blue" and it took 2 minutes for them to resus him. But I've heard that this is quite common and they have to use a suction and oxygen to rouse lots of babies at birth. Today he's a completely healthy and happy 12 year old.
    If, however, you simply do not want to risk going through with a spontaneous labour, by all means discuss it with your doctor. You are absolutely entitled to choose to have a C-section if that is what you want, it's your body and no body can tell you how to deliver your baby. At the end of the day, as long as bub is born healthy, the way it enters the world shouldn't matter.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say I understand you. I'm new to the forum but 22 weeks pregnant and from the beginning of pregnancy had these concerns due to my family history as well. It's manifested in my dreams which I've had nightmares since day 9 about problems with the birth etc to the point where I would just cry to my hubby and at one point I even questioned whether I wanted the pregnancy which made me feel even more down because I really do.

I spoke openly to my doctor about an elective c section (GP that is) not to the hospital first who seemed unwilling to talk to me much about my fears. Even asked for counselling or someone to talk to which was met with a "we can't do anything for you at this time just relax until then". My GP said the hospital which is public probably wont want me to know I have a choice in whether or not I have one or not but she said she would like to see me up until the birth and if I am still feeling like I want the c section then I can absolutely have one as they will take into consideration my mental and emotional state which if still like this may inevitabley lead to a c section if my body doesnt cooperate during labour.

I've copped a lot of flack for wanting an elective c section even though im a nurse and fully understand the risks that go with them as well as going into theatre for any procedure really. So they may not take into consideration your family as everyone is different but they will most certainly have to look at how stable you are emotionally and mentally as this plays a role in how labour will progress (or not).

Sorry for the essay