+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Want elective c-section, any idea how to make it happen???

I am pregnant with my first and according to my family's birthing history, they have been 30hrs +, babies were born blue due to lack of oxygen, horrific tears, allergic reactions to pain meds, most of these ending in emergency c-sections, cords around babies necks and worst of all, a cousin born with severe brain damage due to lack of oxygen because the docs sent the mother home 3 times before taking her labour seriously.

Based on these experiences of over 10 women in my family, each with multiple births, each experiencing most, if not all of these things during birth, I want to cut out the pain and suffering that both my baby and I are potentially in for and have an elective c-section.

Now my only worry is that the doctor won't allow it as I am seemingly healthy.

I want some back up information to help in convincing him this is the best option for me and the baby to ensure the baby is born as quickly and problem free as possible!

Any advice???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you public or private? Private you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice?
    Every single mother and baby is different. Every singgle labor is different.
    I'd try naturally first, you may be perfectly fine and have a problem free birth.
    Just my opinion though

Sent from my Racer using BubHub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spitthedummy For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (18-06-2012),AngeMariie  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are going private you just have to ask, there is usually no need to have to persuade a private OB.

If you are going public my understanding is that you will need to have medical reasons for an elective c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm public, but the hospital I'm delivering at states it is open to electives! For all I know the ob could be fine with it, I'm just worried that If he says no, that I'll want as much back up info as possible.

I'm willing to go as far as knowing what my rights are legally, because I genuinely feel passionately about getting this c-section!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just tell your ob. Good on you for sticking to what you want

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just tell your ob your what you just told us. And I'm sure they would be understanding. Goodluck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    They can't make you have a vaginal birth. Show them you understand the risks and recovery times I had a private ob who prefers not to do csections, I brought it up twice, the second time we discussed it at lenght, he said I clearly had done my reading and was confident I had made the right choice for myself Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are you saying you are having twins? If so then they will most likely let you have a c/section if you want it. You might have to push for it, but at the end of the day 70% of twins are born by c/section here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you provide proof of these experiences in your family? Even so I'm sorry but I think it will be disregarded.
    Each baby and each birth is different and I find it a bit hard to believe that so many women in your family have had the exact same birthing experiences as they aren't hereditary (sorry).

One thing an OB will take into account though is your emotional/mental state and if you express to him that you are very concerned for the welfare of yourself and baby and that it is taking a toll on your emotional health then he would most likely take your request very seriously.

Good luck.