+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't have one with DD and probably won't next time either. DH and I discussed the various pain relief options and possible complications that might arise and agreed on a general approach. He was then able to confidently assist me and make decisions at the time. We also had a great OB so in the case of something going wrong our plan was "whatever Dr B says goes!".

I have no regrets about my birth experience and I think that's because I was willing to be flexible and go with what works at the time - which turned out to be quite different to what I expected I'd want to do!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one. A template with boxes to tick. I ended up developing PE and the plan went out the window, I didn't even deliver in the hospital I had planned to!!

The next pregnancy will only have one plan - the baby will come out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never had one... I just rolled with the punches

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I wrote one and discussed a few points in it with my Ob but we didn't use it during the birth. However I found it really useful in preparing me mentally for the birth, and it gave me a chance to really think about what I wanted and didn't want. I'm not sure if I'll write one next time, maybe just a few points to prepare me again.

Guest Guest
    I had a very detailed outline of my preferences. My doula made everyone who entered my room read it, so it didn't get lost in my bag, it had things in it like I don't want xyz unless xyz happens, how I want my room and people who enter my room etc etc. I also had a section incase of another emergency c/s and after birth with breastfeeding.
    I didn't do this the first time, having this the 2nd time made a huge difference, it made me think about all the things I want, how I wanted my birth space, how I wanted midwives and dr's to treat my birth space and having a doula made all the difference. Everything on that piece of paper was respected as a result and everyone followed it, in the end I got what I wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had preferences which the midwife referred to & kept me on track with - I'll be forever grateful she did, I completely forgot all about everything I'd deemed important & just wanted DD out ASAP! I got exactly the birth I'd hoped for, but it was because I had a positively fantastic midwife who made sure I did

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just made sure I looked into all the resources, scenarios pain relief etc so as things happened I could try what I wanted as I went and was able to be flexible.
    I had friends who had strict plans but then they found their situations didn't allow them to follow the plan and went into panic.
    I was more set on what would happen after DD was born like skin on skin time with myself and my partner was a must .One thing I will ALWAYS tell people is just listen to your body, you know what is going on even if its your first time. The hosp would keep trying to send me home and I knew it wasnt a good idea . . . turns out active labour for me was 2hrs, a couple pushes and she was out ! my partner almost missed it just getting my bag from the car

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose not to have one. I felt that given that I had no idea what was going to happen or how I was going to feel about it, going with the flow was more likely to work in my favour. I did tell DH that if things went pear-shaped, he was to stay with the baby regardless of what was going on with me, but that was as far as the plan went. I don't regret not doing one at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For my third baby I wrote a short one like a PP did, and it DID get used, I remember the new midwife that came in stopped and read it (it was out on a bench or something) before she came over to me. But I believe she only did that because it was short, some of these big long detailed ones aren't going to make a middie stop and read for 5 minutes, they just don't have time.

Mine was basically-

* NO drugs to be offered (I will ask if I need them)
    * NO injection for third stage (unless showing signs of hemorrhage)
    * NO internal examinations unless absolutely necessary
    * Baby will stay with mum directly after birth, weighing will wait until after first breastfeed.

I think that was about it! And I got all what I wanted too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Midwife looked at me funny when I asked if I could write a birth plan, I wrote one anyway. First line was no drugs (epidural, morphine, etc....) and first thing I did when the pain kicked in was begging for epidural I didn't have epidural in the end because I was too terrified of the needle. I won't write a plan next time.