+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lolz83 View Post
    I'm having my first in August and do not want to birth on my back just from knowledge of others experiences. Who knows, it might work for me?!!

Silly question though - if you birth in a position where it is not easy for the midwife/obs to get access like on a chair in the shower etc, do they care? Or do they just maneuver themselves into a position where they have access?
    Not silly! I wondered this too. Had DD kneeling over a fit ball in the shower, with 2 shower heads pointing at me so water everywhere and they just worked around me. I felt bad for them (but no way was I moving!) cos everyone got absolutely saturated but they didn't seem to mind!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reading about birthing on your back, it is NOT a natural position and you actually have gravity working against you. Gravity is working against you as its pushing against your pelvis and stopping the baby coming out easily....on OBEM most of the woman are actually in a sitting position so they have the gravity helping them give birth.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear and Mum For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With DS, I fully intended to have an active birth. However, once I was in labour (was induced at 42 weeks with ARM, but was already 4cm dilated), I felt nauseous every time I got upright, so I laboured in a reclined position (not fully flat) as I sucked on the gas. DS needed vacuum assistance to come out and at that point I was put flat on my back with stirrups. DS was born 7.5 hours after ARM. Wasn't a wonderful birth, but wasn't too bad and I don't regret any of it.

With DD, totally different story! Suddenly went into labour at home at 12noon, contractions were 2 minutes apart from the get-go. Mum rushed over to get me, I laboured sitting upright in the front passenger seat of the car, then sitting upright in the wheelchair that the midwives brought to the car (was in no way able to walk up to the labour ward!).

DD was born just 16 minutes after I got into the delivery suite, only 6 minutes of stage 2, didn't even push her out, she just practically fell out with me standing up! That labour was just 3 hours all up at 41 weeks.

I did have one contraction laying down during her labour (somewhere in the 16 minutes of being in the delivery suite) when they got me on the bed to check how dilated I was. That contraction was AWFUL.

Now that I've tried labour both lying down and standing (drug free), I can say for sure that standing up hurts tonnes less than lying down. The difference was incredible. But like I said, I just did what felt best at the time with my first, no point beating myself up about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emerg caesarean so I only laboured up to 6ish cm. I fully intended on standing, walking around etc during labour, however I found standing incredibly painful. Plus i had monitoring, although the midwife wasn't insisting on me lying down.
    Turns out DS was posterior which I think was causing the extra pain while standing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After my pethidine shot all I wanted to do was lie down! I wasnt flat on my back, i was reclined and I delivered DS with the end of the bed lowered from about my bum down. So kind of like I was sitting on the bed rather than lying (tricky hospital bed!).

I have nothing to compare it too, but I after my delivery I said to DH " I'd do that again" (and am in November lol!) so it couldnt of been that bad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went into labour without any particular wishes on positions, just to go with whatever was comfortable and stay active. I ended up on my back half reclined. It was fine.

This time I'll just be doing whatever the heck feels right at the time too. Although I might request a birthing stool this time to give it a try. I really felt like it might have been comfortable last time, but this is a whole new labour so who knows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced so I had to be monitored, I spent the first couple of hours just sitting in a really comfy chair sucking on gas, then spent a little bit of time in the shower bouncing on a fit ball, followed by kneeling on the bed with the mattress right up leaning over the top. Started pushing in this position but DD got stuck and heart rate started dropping so got rushed through to another room where I ended up flat on my back, legs in stirrups whilst they used the vacuum to pull DD out. I much preferred kneeling to lying on my back!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I just watched ep2 of One Born Every Minute (US version) and in both episodes so far, all the women are birthing on their backs and rarely seem to move around. So different to the UK version!

So I'm curious - what position did you intend on labouring/delivering in and what actually happened on the day?

I intended to labour in the shower & bath and/or walk, bounce etc. I tried the bath and it made the pain worse! I actually spent most of my time lying on the bed on my side, and after a stupidly long labour and about 12hrs of contractions 2-3mins apart I had an epidural and eventually a forceps delivery on the bed and lying back - so not exactly what I expected but going into my third day of labour I wanted that baby out!!
    Where do you get us one born every minute? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Throughout my labour I was in and out the shower, pacing, on the exercise ball and standing holding onto dp. All I really wanted to do was lie down as I'd been up since 1 am with contractions and gave birth at 6 pm, but the pain was worse lying down. When it came time to push my midwife suggested on all fours so I gave that a try and it was 100 times more painful. I ended up birthing dd on my back with dp holding one leg back and sil holding the other!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    So I'm curious - what position did you intend on labouring/delivering in and what actually happened on the day?
    I intended on being upright, walking and in the shower for the first stage of labour and on my knees for the second stg.

I ended up being on my side in the foetal position for the first stage unable to move or really speak due to the pain and then after trying various positions during the second stage, lying on my back holding onto my knees was how I ended up and found it to be easier to push that way. Strange because I always thought gravity would help if you were on your knees but it didn't for me - both labours.