+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had dd on my back and I had ds2 kneeling on the end of the bed. The midwife tried to get me to laydown but I refused to move.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Before I gave birth I had discussed with my ob and my DH about different positions. I was induced in a hurry due to pre-eclempsia at 38+5 And was on a drip with a CTG monitor as well. I am not sure why but I didn't even think at the time about moving off my back apart from turning onto my side. I laboured a lot on my side. I ended up having a forceps delivery so was on my back for the actual birth. Next time hopefully I might get to avoid an induction and I will once again plan to vary my position but who knows what will happen on the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my first I was on a chair in the shower with the warm water, then moved to the bed and gave birth on my back, legs being held by midwife and DH. Looking back, that was not a good position.

Second time, I spent almost the entire time walking around, bouncing on the end of the bed, on a fit ball in the shower and once on the bed, they checked, it came to pushing, and I got up and was sort of crouching/kneeling and still somehow leaning back a little, and DD was born that way.

I got three third degree tears with DD1 and apparently only a graze/tiny tear with DD2 so I think the position made a difference. I was also much more relaxed but that's only because I wasn't surprised as much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    delivered both my bubs kneeling up over the bedhead. it was the perfect position for me as i have a bad back (previous injury) so it took the pressure off.
    the bed was soft, i could lean forward against the pillows, i had the bed head to grab onto and support me and the wall had marks that i could focus on intently.
    also spreading my knees/legs wide meant when i was pushing i was pushing with gravity, not against it and my pelvis was open.
    i could also rock back and forth to help relieve pain.
    definately recommend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my DS I had no idea about birth positions or anything, I was 19 and young, plus I was induced and hooked up to drips, monitors etc so not much option, HOWEVER the most comfortable position I found and stayed there the whole time was on my side. I even delivered my DS while on my side. They tried to get me to lay on my back but it hurt and I said no and rolled back onto my side.....this time I will try to do it the same way but hopefully I will be able to move around abit more during labor...we will see what happens...

I figure your body will want you in a natural position so do what you find comfortable..

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was on my back and it was AWFUL. When the anesthetist finally asked me to sit up because she was having trouble getting the epi in, it was so much easier! I actually felt I could continue on with a drug free birth... But at that moment she got the needle in .

I think sitting up helped me best because gravity helped out. But even laying on my side was just as bad as my back.
    I wish my midwives had been more helpful and given me suggestions. I was basically left alone to labor without having any support from them (and DH was useless lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having my first in August and do not want to birth on my back just from knowledge of others experiences. Who knows, it might work for me?!!

Silly question though - if you birth in a position where it is not easy for the midwife/obs to get access like on a chair in the shower etc, do they care? Or do they just maneuver themselves into a position where they have access?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lolz83 View Post
    I'm having my first in August and do not want to birth on my back just from knowledge of others experiences. Who knows, it might work for me?!!

Silly question though - if you birth in a position where it is not easy for the midwife/obs to get access like on a chair in the shower etc, do they care? Or do they just maneuver themselves into a position where they have access?
    this is why they started telling women to get on beds and lay on their backs, because it's easier for the Doctor. A real midwife will catch a baby anywhere, anyhow

9. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (18-06-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lolz83 View Post

Access to……? Oh!! Sorry to be dumb!!

What thermy said - 100%. I will be refusing internals if I have any more babies, as long as there are no complications there is no need for them IMO and cause more pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD 1 was born in theatre with an epi and vacuum so on my back. 2nd degree tear 4kg bub

Dd2 - laboured hands/knees rocking or in shower at home. At hospy I was On my side being monitored cos I begged for another epi but cos the anaes took too long and I needed to push - I flipped over to kneeling on the bed with hands over the top of the bed. Hubby held me up from the side so when DD was born I could catch her. No tears 3.5kg bub