Closed Thread
Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 621
  1. #601
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I think everyone will agree that there are good and bad eggs in every profession. What I get upset about is those generalist comments along the lines of "obstetricians are of no use, and want us all to have cesareans so they can go and play golf and drive their BMW".
    I don't think anyone has said that. I have said ob's are for surgical birth not 'normal' birth and that as women we shouldn't just blindly trust they are doing what is right. I also said my ob for my 2nd c/s is also my GP and is the bomb.

    All I'm saying is blind faith, in anything, can be dangerous....

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (20-06-2012),Benji  (20-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (21-06-2012),Gandalf  (20-06-2012),SassyMummy  (20-06-2012)

  3. #602
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,125
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,694
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'd have rather either not see them at all or use the visits to discuss more of the birthing process, aftercare, bf'ing etc (I did classes before bub and they were crap!).
    I agree and this is where independent midwives (homebirth mw) are so so great!

    The one who is coming to my birth in the next couple of months so far has only listened to heart beats, palpate and blood pressure- other than that our very long appointments have been taken up just chatting....about mine and my partners relationship and how it will change when the twins come, making time for my others kids, getting them involved without making them little slaves, what exactly I expect and want from her, my hopes for my birth, my previous birth experiences, any particular anxieties I have around the birth/early weeks, what support I have in place- I said mums coming down for a few weeks- she asks about my relationship with my mum, is she a help or hinderance etc? My diet- nourishing my body so I'm in peak physical condition when they are born, breastfeeding etc etc

    It really is the sort of care you will rarely get from an Ob and will never get in hospital where you see a different midwife/dr at every visit. After they are born she'll be back, helping with breastfeeding, settling, all that stuff. I love her, shes the best

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

    Gandalf  (20-06-2012),VicPark  (21-06-2012)

  5. #603
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just because a woman doesn't understand why she'd personally require a surgeon to be present at her vaginal birth, doesn't mean she thinks OBs are evil and have no place in the world.

    I just don't think they view birth as I do. I want a care provider who sees birth in the same light I do (as a natural thing, that my body is designed to deal with), so I do not choose the care of an OB. That also means I don't choose the care of a hospital midwife either. That doesn't mean they're uneducated twits who don't know what they're doing either, it just means that I don't think the way they deal with birth and the births they see daily are at all like the kind of birth I'm aiming for.

    Given I want a natural birth (not to be a hero, purely because I believe it'll be the healthiest option for my baby and because less intervention means more chance of having the VBAC I want), it just seems to make sense, for me, to find a care provider who also sees birth as I do, as a natural, normal process that the majority of women can get through well enough if certain decisions are made.

    I couldn't care less what another woman does if she's happy with her experience at the end of the day.

    My thoughts on why a surgeon has no place in my birth (unless there a medical issue arises which requires their assistance, of course) are not the same as, "OBs are evil and just want to steal money from poor misguided ignorant mothers-to-be so they can buy a new BMW." It's sad that "I don't want an OB because it doesn't fit in with my beliefs about birthing," can be read as that though.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (21-06-2012),Gandalf  (20-06-2012),Kadorite  (20-06-2012),Super Trooper  (20-06-2012)

  7. #604
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I think everyone will agree that there are good and bad eggs in every profession. What I get upset about is those generalist comments along the lines of "obstetricians are of no use, and want us all to have cesareans so they can go and play golf and drive their BMW".
    They do drive nice cars, they have higher rates of c/s's and they aren't any use in a non high risk birth hence why a midwife is only present in public hospitals to deliver the baby. I don't think any of that is a lie and no one has worded it that way you've put it so there is no need to get upset. You might have a great personal experience, but I've also had my experiences with an ob, private hospital, public hospital, c/s and vb and I speak from those.

  8. #605
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    637
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just because obs are qualified and experienced in surgery doesn't mean that they don't view birth in the same way that midwifes do! they are all humans with their own opinions and thoughts. Like I said, a lot of my friends are obs and they are extremely passionate about natural birth, and giving women the best possible experience.
    Funny Lily how you say obs have a higher rate of CS. I would be pretty shocked if midwives had a high rate of CS as they aren't qualified to perform them.....

    i wasn't directly quoting anyone in my previous post, you know that and I still maintain that a lot of the previous comments were unnecessary doctor bashing.

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

    Alimia  (21-06-2012),Artful  (20-06-2012),Guest654  (20-06-2012),LoveLivesHere  (21-06-2012),Ulysses  (20-06-2012),VicPark  (21-06-2012)

  10. #606
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    637
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How much does a midwife charge for a homebirth by the way?

  11. #607
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Just because obs are qualified and experienced in surgery doesn't mean that they don't view birth in the same way that midwifes do! they are all humans with their own opinions and thoughts. Like I said, a lot of my friends are obs and they are extremely passionate about natural birth, and giving women the best possible experience.
    That's actually very true in some cases. My 2nd ob, being in the bush, also does lots of vb's. He really shies away from purely elective c/s maintaining vb is safer in low risk pgs. He is very hands off in birth, leaving the middies to do most of the work. I had a rye smile a few years back when I had a conversation with a woman who had a vb with him and she complained how he only stuck his head in every so often, and then would wander out again and came back for the pushing and crowning. I thought what a gem

    But my first ob, not taking into account the stuff ups, only did c/s being a large regional area. When I was sent to him at 36 weeks bc DD was still breech and asked could I birth naturally, he actually laughed at me

    I agree with you, there are good middies, and bad ones, good obs and bad ones. As with plumbers, police and lawyers.

    But given my first experience respect is a virtue earned not automatically given for me.

  12. #608
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    How much does a midwife charge for a homebirth by the way?
    I think around 5k

  13. #609
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Just because obs are qualified and experienced in surgery doesn't mean that they don't view birth in the same way that midwifes do! they are all humans with their own opinions and thoughts. Like I said, a lot of my friends are obs and they are extremely passionate about natural birth, and giving women the best possible experience.
    Funny Lily how you say obs have a higher rate of CS. I would be pretty shocked if midwives had a high rate of CS as they aren't qualified to perform them.....

    i wasn't directly quoting anyone in my previous post, you know that and I still maintain that a lot of the previous comments were unnecessary doctor bashing.
    Well its not funny actually, it wasn't a comparison to midwives, it was comparing private ob's in private hospitals to public care with no ob. You're more likely to have intervention and a c/s if you hire an obstetrician, you're more likely to have an elective at 38 weeks privately as opposed to 39+ in public, you're more likely to be induced before 10 days with an ob compared to public where you go 10+ over. Ob's have no problem giving women elective c/s's for no medical reason other then they want one. You can't get an elective c/s in a public hospital unless there is a good reason.
    Are you really opposing that?

    You didn't directly quote anyone because no one said that, don't put words in peoples mouths and then tell them off for saying it? We're discussing our views on a lot of things in this thread, people have their opinions on the profession and the role it plays in our births, these are people who make very important decisions regarding women, their babies and our choices in childbirth, you need to be critical and can't put your blinkers on because it suits you. Women go through alot of things they shouldn't be. Ob's have alot to answer for for the high c/s rates in this country and passing the buck to the women isn't good enough, they have the control, it's their doing.

  14. #610
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I thought it was $4k and most of that was for the indemnity insurance. Could be wrong.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30-09-2012, 23:17
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 20:51
  3. To all you mothers who's babies sleep through the night
    By summastarlet in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 17-05-2012, 15:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Cots on Bubhub
Looking to buy a cot or bassinet? :: Cot safety checklist :: Local or online nursery shops
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!