Closed Thread
Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I think everyone will agree that there are good and bad eggs in every profession. What I get upset about is those generalist comments along the lines of "obstetricians are of no use, and want us all to have cesareans so they can go and play golf and drive their BMW".
    I don't think anyone has said that. I have said ob's are for surgical birth not 'normal' birth and that as women we shouldn't just blindly trust they are doing what is right. I also said my ob for my 2nd c/s is also my GP and is the bomb.

All I'm saying is blind faith, in anything, can be dangerous....

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-06-2012),Benji  (20-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (21-06-2012),Gandalf  (20-06-2012),SassyMummy  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'd have rather either not see them at all or use the visits to discuss more of the birthing process, aftercare, bf'ing etc (I did classes before bub and they were crap!).
    I agree and this is where independent midwives (homebirth mw) are so so great!

The one who is coming to my birth in the next couple of months so far has only listened to heart beats, palpate and blood pressure- other than that our very long appointments have been taken up just chatting....about mine and my partners relationship and how it will change when the twins come, making time for my others kids, getting them involved without making them little slaves, what exactly I expect and want from her, my hopes for my birth, my previous birth experiences, any particular anxieties I have around the birth/early weeks, what support I have in place- I said mums coming down for a few weeks- she asks about my relationship with my mum, is she a help or hinderance etc? My diet- nourishing my body so I'm in peak physical condition when they are born, breastfeeding etc etc

It really is the sort of care you will rarely get from an Ob and will never get in hospital where you see a different midwife/dr at every visit. After they are born she'll be back, helping with breastfeeding, settling, all that stuff. I love her, shes the best

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (20-06-2012),VicPark  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just because a woman doesn't understand why she'd personally require a surgeon to be present at her vaginal birth, doesn't mean she thinks OBs are evil and have no place in the world.

I just don't think they view birth as I do. I want a care provider who sees birth in the same light I do (as a natural thing, that my body is designed to deal with), so I do not choose the care of an OB. That also means I don't choose the care of a hospital midwife either. That doesn't mean they're uneducated twits who don't know what they're doing either, it just means that I don't think the way they deal with birth and the births they see daily are at all like the kind of birth I'm aiming for.

Given I want a natural birth (not to be a hero, purely because I believe it'll be the healthiest option for my baby and because less intervention means more chance of having the VBAC I want), it just seems to make sense, for me, to find a care provider who also sees birth as I do, as a natural, normal process that the majority of women can get through well enough if certain decisions are made.

I couldn't care less what another woman does if she's happy with her experience at the end of the day.

My thoughts on why a surgeon has no place in my birth (unless there a medical issue arises which requires their assistance, of course) are not the same as, "OBs are evil and just want to steal money from poor misguided ignorant mothers-to-be so they can buy a new BMW." It's sad that "I don't want an OB because it doesn't fit in with my beliefs about birthing," can be read as that though.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-06-2012),Gandalf  (20-06-2012),Kadorite  (20-06-2012),Super Trooper  (20-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    I think everyone will agree that there are good and bad eggs in every profession. What I get upset about is those generalist comments along the lines of "obstetricians are of no use, and want us all to have cesareans so they can go and play golf and drive their BMW".
    They do drive nice cars, they have higher rates of c/s's and they aren't any use in a non high risk birth hence why a midwife is only present in public hospitals to deliver the baby. I don't think any of that is a lie and no one has worded it that way you've put it so there is no need to get upset. You might have a great personal experience, but I've also had my experiences with an ob, private hospital, public hospital, c/s and vb and I speak from those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just because obs are qualified and experienced in surgery doesn't mean that they don't view birth in the same way that midwifes do! they are all humans with their own opinions and thoughts. Like I said, a lot of my friends are obs and they are extremely passionate about natural birth, and giving women the best possible experience.
    Funny Lily how you say obs have a higher rate of CS. I would be pretty shocked if midwives had a high rate of CS as they aren't qualified to perform them.....

i wasn't directly quoting anyone in my previous post, you know that and I still maintain that a lot of the previous comments were unnecessary doctor bashing.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (21-06-2012),Artful  (20-06-2012),Guest654  (20-06-2012),LoveLivesHere  (21-06-2012),Ulysses  (20-06-2012),VicPark  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How much does a midwife charge for a homebirth by the way?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Just because obs are qualified and experienced in surgery doesn't mean that they don't view birth in the same way that midwifes do! they are all humans with their own opinions and thoughts. Like I said, a lot of my friends are obs and they are extremely passionate about natural birth, and giving women the best possible experience.
    That's actually very true in some cases. My 2nd ob, being in the bush, also does lots of vb's. He really shies away from purely elective c/s maintaining vb is safer in low risk pgs. He is very hands off in birth, leaving the middies to do most of the work. I had a rye smile a few years back when I had a conversation with a woman who had a vb with him and she complained how he only stuck his head in every so often, and then would wander out again and came back for the pushing and crowning. I thought what a gem

But my first ob, not taking into account the stuff ups, only did c/s being a large regional area. When I was sent to him at 36 weeks bc DD was still breech and asked could I birth naturally, he actually laughed at me

I agree with you, there are good middies, and bad ones, good obs and bad ones. As with plumbers, police and lawyers.

But given my first experience respect is a virtue earned not automatically given for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How much does a midwife charge for a homebirth by the way?
    I think around 5k

Guest Guest
    Funny Lily how you say obs have a higher rate of CS. I would be pretty shocked if midwives had a high rate of CS as they aren't qualified to perform them.....

i wasn't directly quoting anyone in my previous post, you know that and I still maintain that a lot of the previous comments were unnecessary doctor bashing.
    Well its not funny actually, it wasn't a comparison to midwives, it was comparing private ob's in private hospitals to public care with no ob. You're more likely to have intervention and a c/s if you hire an obstetrician, you're more likely to have an elective at 38 weeks privately as opposed to 39+ in public, you're more likely to be induced before 10 days with an ob compared to public where you go 10+ over. Ob's have no problem giving women elective c/s's for no medical reason other then they want one. You can't get an elective c/s in a public hospital unless there is a good reason.
    Are you really opposing that?

You didn't directly quote anyone because no one said that, don't put words in peoples mouths and then tell them off for saying it? We're discussing our views on a lot of things in this thread, people have their opinions on the profession and the role it plays in our births, these are people who make very important decisions regarding women, their babies and our choices in childbirth, you need to be critical and can't put your blinkers on because it suits you. Women go through alot of things they shouldn't be. Ob's have alot to answer for for the high c/s rates in this country and passing the buck to the women isn't good enough, they have the control, it's their doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I thought it was $4k and most of that was for the indemnity insurance. Could be wrong.