Closed Thread
Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OBs are surgeons, they have their place but for me I would never hire one unless I needed surgery IMO its like hiring a pediatrician to babysit my perfectly healthy children.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeah... I had surgery, different to a caesarean, but still. I paid approx $5000 after rebates and such. For everything - anesthetic, hospital stay, blah blah.

WITHOUT PHI, the charge would be about $15000.

It would cost WAAAAAAAY more to actually give someone a caesarean than the small amount they pay for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I'm not anti ob, I don't think they're uncaring or a salesman, but I do believe an ob has a different mindset when it comes to birth and labour. They're surgeons, they manage high risk and prefer control because it's what they do.

And regardless of what they're paid, its alot. $1000 for less than an hours work isn't a bad paycheck. Do 5 of those in a day, one day a week and its no wonder they're driving around in mercs and beamers

I have to disagree..I think often OBs are seen as they only want to do Csec..this is so not true..I know a few and they are fabulous ..caring .. vaginal birth supporting people!!

(also mercs and beamers are not that pricy..they drive Audis and Range Rovers!!)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (20-06-2012),Guest654  (20-06-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ]\
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This is from 2007 but surely still relevant:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/1186FF4200B2B2E6CA2575D9000F73B8/$File/SoOPH 2009 Part 8_Our Maternity Services.pdf

Cost of a caesarian without catastrophic complications - $7,085 public hospital
    Vaginal delivery without catastrophic complications - $4,205 public
    Vaginal delivery uncomplicated - $3,462 public

If you look at the chart caesarians cost more than a VB, of course they do - it's surgery. A straightforward caesarian costs similar to a catastrophic VB.
    this would include overheads that are covered by private health insurance though, theatre costs etc. So as a patient it costs me what my OB charges not what it costs the hospital to run the whole theatre for a c section.

As far as OB.s go they would only profit from the surgeons fee as far as I can see?

My OB told me that public hospitals would go to great lengths to avoid a c section because of the difference in costs to the hospital and essentially the government. As a private patient, and an OB being paid by a patient, the argument that they do it for the money i.e. 5k, is not so likely because they do not see any of that money to pay for nurses, theatre, equipment etc.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 20-06-2012 at 16:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    this would include overheads that are covered by private health insurance though, theatre costs etc. So as a patient it costs me what my OB charges not what it costs the hospital to run the whole theatre for a c section.

As far as OB.s go they would only profit from the surgeons fee as far as I can see?
    I'm really not sure, I'm just saying there's an extreme difference in costs that I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't earn more through cs than VB.

I do think that a caesarian *should* cost more - of course it should, it's major surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'm really not sure, I'm just saying there's an extreme difference in costs that I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't earn more through cs than VB.

I do think that a caesarian *should* cost more - of course it should, it's major surgery.
    Absolutely it would cost more. Giving me a bed to lay on while someone flits in and out of the room doesn't cost as much as having heaps of people attend to me in theatre, the drugs they're using, etc etc... increasing the risk of the baby needing to go to special care and then the costs of that too... and the fact that having a caesarean means you're more likely to stay in hospital for longer after the birth... so those costs as well.

Which honestly, is one reason I don't understand why the government doesn't encourage and fund safe homebirth. It'd save them a bucketload. Just the midwife and her associated costs...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (20-06-2012),Bubbles10  (20-06-2012),Lillynix  (20-06-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i think, as other posters have said - it COSTS the government and any hospital more to perform a c section however OB,s don't make alot of money from them as many might think. It only cost me fractionally more to have a c section than to have a natural birth as private patient after all the rebates etc.

So my point is, that I doubt OB,s perform more c sections because of the profit involved, because it isn't really a huge fee they charge for their services IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Which honestly, is one reason I don't understand why the government doesn't encourage and fund safe homebirth. It'd save them a bucketload. Just the midwife and her associated costs...
    Totally agree. Such a waste of resources considering our hospital systems are in such a mess already. We're sending perfectly healthy people there to give birth, and we have a much higher rate of cs than even the WHO recommends. I would imagine the cs rate is increasing because of all the intervention.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are obs in public hospitals on salaries?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    So my point is, that I doubt OB,s perform more c sections because of the profit involved, because it isn't really a huge fee they charge for their services IYKWIM.
    I'm really not sure how much they would charge the private funds nor the public system after they have charged you but as mentioned above, cs are quick - they can do several in one day.

My midwives had to stay with me for an entire night and then until noon the next day.