Closed Thread
Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lots of women on here have had birth plans with their c/sections.

Anyhow - at the end of the day, I just don't really care about how women birth - I think everyone needs to do it in the way they feel comfortable.

I just didn't get the same thing out of the article that you did.

Either way - I think it has been a good discussion, lots of new information etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I absolutely have heard the term 'too posh to push' but its also the women having c/sections who are saying 'birth plans are uneccessary' 'nothing goes to plan in a birth' 'these women just want control' 'it's all about the experience and not about the baby' 'I just want a healthy baby' 'homebirths are dangerous' 'these women are selfish' 'they're putting the baby in danger' AND THEN say 'but I'm all for choice it's not a competition'
    As long as the choice is the same one you'd make?

I mean telling women feeling empowered during birth doesn't exist is just mind blowing. To tell women they should be handing over control of their bodies is a horrible message to give. I have no idea what feminism is, but to me she's really putting women down the barrell at the most vulnerable time in their lives.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (20-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    I agree. Thanks everyone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    In relation to having a natural birth after 1 or 2 caesareans, why would an obstetrician recommend a caesarean if it wasn't the best option? What do they have to gain?
    1) $5k roughly a c/s
    2) an ego stroke that they (the ob) are needed and life savers.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (20-06-2012),SassyMummy  (20-06-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my ob charged about 1k for the operation for my c/s.What is the 5k for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    My c/section was $1800 (for twins) plus the a/s was $1000 plus all the extra scans they make you have with twins, so every 2 weeks for the last 8 weeks, and I included the gap in my estimation too

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also doctors are much more likely to be sued for not providing a c section than vice versa.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    In relation to having a natural birth after 1 or 2 caesareans, why would an obstetrician recommend a caesarean if it wasn't the best option? What do they have to gain? I *suppose* I could have gone that route, but my OB said it was better not to. Why would he have said that? If it really was higher risk for me to have a 3rd caesarean, why would he have put me and my baby at risk?
    Sorry, I haven't read every single post so sorry if this has already been discussed.
    I think there's a lot of reasons but probably the perception of control. C/S are perceived as safer as they are more controlled than a VB (especially if a woman has had a C/S). If something goes wrong the OB/Hosptial can say they tried to do everything possible (because they were controlling the environment) as opposed to a VB that is a lot more unpredictable.

C/Ss have become very normalised as well which in turn makes it more marginalised to have an intervention free VB. I would wager that intervention free VBs are very much in the minority.

Another reason is that I think we just don't have the faith in woman's bodies and abilty to birth. If someone wants to have an intervention free VB the first step many would argue would be to develop faith in your body to birth.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (20-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    $1000 for a c/s? The hospital pays them alot more than that, medicare and private health cover it, your management fee is out of pocket bar what medicare covers which is not much anymore.
    My hospital bill for my c/s was $10000, $7000 was for the c/s alone (all covered by phi except some of the anaesthetists bill). Thats not including what I payed my ob during pregnancy.

Why do Ob's recommend a repaet c/s? Because ob's are dr's and surgeons, they manage risk. They trust their hand more than your body and they don't see the 70% chance you have for a vbac they see the 30% chance of an emergency c/s which is worse than an elective c/s. It gives them more control, you set a date and the surgery is done within an hour, they don't have to manage you during another labour that has a 70% success rate. The fact you've already had a c/s means you know what to expect and because its elective it can be managed better (women report their elective being much easier) I had a good discussion with my ob and I think everyone should know why their ob is recommending another c/s and they should be told what having multiple c/s's means and the risks involved. But I think it simply comes down to faith and they don't have faith in your body, perhaps they're jaded by what they see and perhaps it is a god complex. But its also their job, they believe in what they do and as along as mother and baby are alive then they've done their job. And we know there is more to giving birth than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I read an article a few years ago that said obs charge the public system 3-5k per c/s depending on whether it's simple or issues arise.

I admit I'm unfamiliar with the private system but I'm thinking your gap was a grand but the rest was paid by your private health fund? I suspect that figure could possibly include appointments before and after the c/s but I'm unsure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    1) $5k roughly a c/s
    2) an ego stroke that they (the ob) are needed and life savers.
    You are so arrogant! For your information it doesn't cost anywhere near that much. I would say max 1500 and so what they deserve every penny!!! I wasn't out of pocket a cent for my whole delivery.