Closed Thread
Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    A bit happier. I do know that the buck stops with the doc though. And midwives in hospitals are protected by the hospital insurer. So the likelihood of them losing their house is minimal.
    Now homebirths are a different story.
    Pff i had an entire spiel to give but i doubt i'll ever change what you know...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Ohhh right, as opposed to high risk homebirthers that do it for gold stickers not the wellbeing of their baby. Gotcha

You think hospitals are safest, a homebirther thinks their home is safest. Are you going to change your opinion? Is the homebirther? No. So why fight it? The government is doing a fabulous job of taking away peoples personal choice as it is.
    I didn't actually say that, I never said anything about gold stickers- what I said was that some people become so blinkered that they make bad choices.

Never once, not once have I *ever* said I think hospital is the safest option.

I like how you just take one theme and run with it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised despite the varying passionate views that in 504 posts no mod has had to edit or close the thread. I think that's a first lol

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (19-06-2012),Amiedoll  (19-06-2012),Annabella  (20-06-2012),beebs  (19-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (20-06-2012),IndigoJ  (19-06-2012),Kadorite  (20-06-2012),LoveLivesHere  (19-06-2012),VicPark  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised despite the varying passionate views that in 504 posts no mod has had to edit or close the thread. I think that's a first lol
    Very true. I said before im out. So here is a good place. Thanks for the discussion everyone.

To each their own

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone here read The Birth Wars? It describes exactly the argument that has developed over the past 51 pages. It also describes how some women tragically slip through the cracks as there is a perception in Australia that a medically assisted birth cannot be natural, or that a natural birth cannot have medical assistance. The book describes it as an ongoing 'war' between the mechanics and the organics where the collateral damage are the women and their babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Exactly why I would just never give birth in a public hospital, chose to go private and have the same person who had monitored me throughout my pregnancy delivery my babies. He knew my history, he knew what I did or didn't want and I trusted him completely to do the best for me.
    Same with me, i chose to go private and had the same person monitor me through my pregnancy and attended my birth. She knew my history, knew what i did and didn't want and i trusted her to care for me and my baby. I love my private midwife, and am so glad she was there at my homebirth.

An extra bonus of having an private midwife that may not be so well known is that they usually do home visits for around 6 weeks post partum. These are initially daily and then the time increases between visits. This 1 on 1 care really helps in establishing breastfeeding and baby care, can help detect health issues sooner and reduce risks for PND. It is something that is lacking from the public system and traditional private obstetrician based care.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-06-2012),beebs  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, there are pro natural obs. But look at intervention rates of private hospitals where care is provided by private obs.

This study is very interesting reading that shows low risk women birthing in a private hospital with a private ob are much less likely to have a spontaneous labour and twice as likely to have an episiotomy than the public patients.

https://www.birthinternational.com/a...re-the-chances
    Thanks Big red. That study is really interesting.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    How is it under attack! Surely you can see that sometimes people really do make the wrong choice. It doesn't mean that all vabcers, HBers etc are under attack - just the few that are so hardline.

Seriously = and this is a very serious question to homebirthers and it isn't an attack, I am interested. If you were considered high risk - and no, I don't mean VBAC, I mean really high risk. Placenta previa or multiple pregnancy or whatever - would you really continue with a homebirth even though homebirth advocates don't recommend in these situations?

I can totally understand why women choose homebirth - sounds great. But it is this blinkered "can only be one way at all costs" attitude that I don't understand.

I was scared out of my mind having to have an elective (though medically needed) c/section. I didn't choose it, I didn't want it. But I had a 31% chance of one of my babies dying (read loads and loads of studies on pubmed and that seems to be the most common percent that came up) there was no way I would have a VB if the risk was that high.
    Twins, depending on what type, I know one type has a higher risk of issues but I've never had to look into it.

Placenta Previa, depends what grade once again I have never had PP so I would have to refresh what I have read about it. I did have a low lying placenta with DD (which had moved on the next scan) so I did look into it a but but I can't remember much now.

Transverse lie, I would give it a go yes chances are the baby can move during labour.

Breech, definitely.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-06-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Some of us are saying we don't support high risk home or free births and I stand by that.
    But you (collective you) support women who choose elective cesarean sections with no medical indication, how is that any different?

Sorry I don't understand this concept

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-06-2012),Bubbles10  (20-06-2012),elleandsam  (20-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Lambjam you said women shouldn't be allowed to birth how they want.
    I said I was out, but even though I unsubscribed it still showed up in my feed! What's a girl to do?

Lily, please read my post. I said that there were certain birth choices that very few people would support, like birthing while sky-diving. It made sense in the context, it was an exercise in logic.

I never said I didn't support a woman's right to birth at home, I do.

And Thermolicious... Women's rights, human rights, my point remains the same. Do you support a woman's right to a hot air balloon birth? If like me you don't, because you believe it is clearly dangerous and reckless, then you and Mia are employing the same logic. It may make her mistaken and misinformed, but it doesn't make her a violator of human rights.