Closed Thread
Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found this large study which is australian. I can't get the full article so I can't verify if there has 'never' been a uterine rupture in Vic, but it does set out the risks. Which are small

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I read the risk of UR after 1 c/s is between 0.1-0.5% depending on the study. Tiny given it's pretty much that for a UR for a vb with no previous c/s.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-06-2012),elleandsam  (20-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    Tiny risk. A baby dying from this is so small its not even recorded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    How is it under attack! Surely you can see that sometimes people really do make the wrong choice. It doesn't mean that all vabcers, HBers etc are under attack - just the few that are so hardline.

Seriously = and this is a very serious question to homebirthers and it isn't an attack, I am interested. If you were considered high risk - and no, I don't mean VBAC, I mean really high risk. Placenta previa or multiple pregnancy or whatever - would you really continue with a homebirth even though homebirth advocates don't recommend in these situations?
    Speaking for myself only, it would all depend on the specific situation.

I would homebirth twins if all was going well. I would homebirth a breech if all was going well. Placenta previa has different grades, usually with grades 1 and 2 a vaginal birth is still possible, so if my Midwife was happy them I'd be happy to stay home.

But again, so many variables, so long asmy Midwife was okay with a homebirth and I was okay with a homebirth, then that's what I do.

The only things that would stop me, would be if birth was not physically possible (transverse lie, for example), if there was a known medical condition with either myself or my baby that would require medical attention or if there was a real risk of something going pear shaped.

I'm considered "high risk" when it comes to birth centres and hospital funded homebirth programs, but not with Independent Midwives...go figure.

*I can haz typos*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grr link didn't work.
    Study was of 30,000 women who were having second birth after CS.
    Risk of rupture was 0.15% in spontaneous labour, 1.91% in spontaneous labour with oxytocin augmentation.
    Risk with induction was 0.54% for oxytocin alone, 0.68% for prostaglandin alone and 0.88% when combined.

I wouldn't say the risks are so small they are non recordable (I don't even know what that means lol) but they are small risks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Artful  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Public hospitals are teaching hospitals. When I had my appointments with the dr's I'd ask them if they're ob's and no not one of them was. The anaesthetist told me they're all residents and if I was to need a c/s or wanted an epi a resident would be doing that too. That is not years of experience in my eyes.
    You have to pay if you want a highly skilled and trained obstetrician to attend your birth in a private hospital. They're not all walking around the public hospitals and are waiting in the hallways while you're in labour. Again, false sense of security there, if they're so necessary and required, they'd be free and available at public hospitals. You would never see an ob at a public hospital appointment unless you were very high risk, otherwise, midwives look after you during pregnancy, delivery and post care. Ob's play little part, they're necessary for surgery and to manage high risk cases but in a normal, low risk birth, completely uneccessary. The public hospital system agrees obviously, I was suprsied to see the difference in my first private ob experience, to the public system.
    Exactly why I would just never give birth in a public hospital, chose to go private and have the same person who had monitored me throughout my pregnancy delivery my babies. He knew my history, he knew what I did or didn't want and I trusted him completely to do the best for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ACS84 View Post
    You took a risk and it paid off for you - unfortunately the woman who refused to take on a doctor and midwives advice last week at my work and her child both died.
    You have rights - but your not an OB, you're not a Dr and you're not a midwife who is aware of all the information - if you think you're more qualified than a professional....

But sorry for upsetting anyone in this thread if that's what I've done - I wasn't aware that my opinion isn't welcome and that I can't have my own thoughts and feelings on things....
    I agree with you.
    And I also know due to my profession that a mothers first instinct when something happens is to blame the dr when after an investigation a majority of the time what happened wasn't preventable. Sometimes things just do happen that aren't expected and the outcome most probably wouldn't have been any different had it been managed differently. It's just unfortunate!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

ACS84  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think, from the tone of the article, that the author was actually justifying her own birth choices rather then putting down other peoples choices or experiences. It read to me like an article that's been written after an unpleasant encounter with someone who has totally belittled her births, and yes the wording is unfortunate because it does seem to lash out at everyone making a birthing plan or having a home birth (when I don't think that's what she intended).

This is my first baby, so I have no idea really what to expect when it comes to labour, I do however want to send out a to everyone that had a hard time of it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

ACS84  (20-06-2012),beebs  (19-06-2012),Jenga  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That's extremely sad If I knew my child was at risk I would have a c/s. That's exactly their purpose, life saving surgery.

But for every sad story like this there are lots on the other end of the spectrum where they are responsible. When I woke from my GA the anesthetist met me in my room. In hindsight he knew he had stuffed up and was smoothing things out. he told me I felt the surgery bc I had thick spinal cord muscles and the anesthetic had only seeped partially thru. For a time I actually believed him, him being the expert and all.

It wasn't until I joined ICAN, an international group dealing primarily with women who have had traumatic c/s, that I come across many women with the same issue. I started reading, and I didn't like what I read. Then about 3 weeks off my due date with DS I saw another anesthetist for another c/s. He reviewed my records and I told him my story. He said the thick spinal muscles excuse was quote "rubbish" and the cause was quite simply not enough anesthetic. So for my c/s he gave me the right dose, and guess what, despite being sedated, i felt nothing I also had no retained membranes, and I got given dis solvable internal stitches rather than external cotton stitches that were ripped out. So this time the ob actually did a proper job as well.

Drs and obs aren't gods. We need to stop treating them as if they were and start seeing that yes, they are learned, but they make mistakes.
    Good point. You can have dodgy doctors. You can also have mothers that make dodgy decisions. I would have been furious in your situation! Glad your second was much better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yes - because she is doing the best for her baby, it is low risk and low risk homebirths have less problems that hospital births.
    Ohhh right, as opposed to high risk homebirthers that do it for gold stickers not the wellbeing of their baby. Gotcha

You think hospitals are safest, a homebirther thinks their home is safest. Are you going to change your opinion? Is the homebirther? No. So why fight it? The government is doing a fabulous job of taking away peoples personal choice as it is.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),Gandalf  (19-06-2012),Kadorite  (20-06-2012)