Closed Thread
Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    In my hometown a mother is suing the local hospital/doctors because her baby tragically died during birth. The woman was having a vbac after 2 c-sections. Doctors advised against it, but she refused a csec. She went into labor naturally, was again advised that a csec was needed due to her specific circumstances but refused to sign the paperwork for a csec. She unfortunately hit difficulties and doctors had to choose between her and bubba. Bubba died.

I think it's extreme cases like this that Mia was having a go at in her article. Women that have a plan but have blinkers on and won't listen to medical professionals outlining real risks. They think they know best when they don't, Their 'plan' is at the front of their mind rather than the end goal of having a healthy bubba.

ITs going to sound harsh but in this case instead of suing the hospital the mother should look in the mirror.
    That's extremely sad If I knew my child was at risk I would have a c/s. That's exactly their purpose, life saving surgery.

But for every sad story like this there are lots on the other end of the spectrum where they are responsible. When I woke from my GA the anesthetist met me in my room. In hindsight he knew he had stuffed up and was smoothing things out. he told me I felt the surgery bc I had thick spinal cord muscles and the anesthetic had only seeped partially thru. For a time I actually believed him, him being the expert and all.

It wasn't until I joined ICAN, an international group dealing primarily with women who have had traumatic c/s, that I come across many women with the same issue. I started reading, and I didn't like what I read. Then about 3 weeks off my due date with DS I saw another anesthetist for another c/s. He reviewed my records and I told him my story. He said the thick spinal muscles excuse was quote "rubbish" and the cause was quite simply not enough anesthetic. So for my c/s he gave me the right dose, and guess what, despite being sedated, i felt nothing I also had no retained membranes, and I got given dis solvable internal stitches rather than external cotton stitches that were ripped out. So this time the ob actually did a proper job as well.

Drs and obs aren't gods. We need to stop treating them as if they were and start seeing that yes, they are learned, but they make mistakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That's extremely sad If I knew my child was at risk I would have a c/s. That's exactly their purpose, life saving surgery.

But for every sad story like this there are lots on the other end of the spectrum where they are responsible. When I woke from my GA the anesthetist met me in my room. In hindsight he knew he had stuffed up and was smoothing things out. he told me I felt the surgery bc I had thick spinal cord muscles and the anesthetic had only seeped partially thru. For a time I actually believed him, him being the expert and all.

It wasn't until I joined ICAN, an international group dealing primarily with women who have had traumatic c/s, that I come across many women with the same issue. I started reading, and I didn't like what I read. Then about 3 weeks off my due date with DS I saw another anesthetist for another c/s. He reviewed my records and I told him my story. He said the thick spinal muscles excuse was quote "rubbish" and the cause was quite simply not enough anesthetic. So for my c/s he gave me the right dose, and guess what, despite being sedated, i felt nothing I also had no retained membranes, and I got given dis solvable internal stitches rather than external cotton stitches that were ripped out. So this time the ob actually did a proper job as well.

Drs and obs aren't gods. We need to stop treating them as if they were and start seeing that yes, they are learned, but they make mistakes.
    I'm so sorry for what you went through. You are right, docs are not gods. They do make mistakes but stories like yours are the exception rather than the norm. Why don't you sue? Plenty of lawyers work on charging only if you win.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    And thankyou vicpark, this is why some doctors are scared. They are human! A case like this could ruin their career and their lives.

Sorry but midwives are not accountable for problems happening during birth. I would like to see how they changed if they were held as accountable as doctors are.
    What a load of rubbish! Midwives can be reported and are accountable to the nursing and midwifery board of practice and open to being privately sued by clients... So they can loose their job, as in never work again, and their house too, happy now?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-06-2012),Benji  (19-06-2012),Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),Gandalf  (19-06-2012),IndigoJ  (19-06-2012),trishalishous  (19-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    In my hometown a mother is suing the local hospital/doctors because her baby tragically died during birth. The woman was having a vbac after 2 c-sections. Doctors advised against it, but she refused a csec. She went into labor naturally, was again advised that a csec was needed due to her specific circumstances but refused to sign the paperwork for a csec. She unfortunately hit difficulties and doctors had to choose between her and bubba. Bubba died.

I think it's extreme cases like this that Mia was having a go at in her article. Women that have a plan but have blinkers on and won't listen to medical professionals outlining real risks. They think they know best when they don't, Their 'plan' is at the front of their mind rather than the end goal of having a healthy bubba.

ITs going to sound harsh but in this case instead of suing the hospital the mother should look in the mirror.
    I think you and Mia should do more research into vbac's and the actual risks involved. Having 2 previous c/s's doesn't mean its safer to do a c/s 3rd time around. This is the type of scare tactics that gets thrown around by people who don't even do the research and know what they're talking about. Vbac2 is not riskier than a 3rd c/section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Obviously you have no idea how much training is involved to become a consultant
    You're all missing the point, you're against homebirth because a dr isn't there, my point is a dr isn't involved in hospital births either. Not everone is a highly skilled and trained Ob, in a public hospital you'll never see one. I'm not comparing who has and doesn't have more experience If you feel safest in a hospital with residents and midwives and incase of emergency an Ob that's your perogative, but don't for a second believe you actually are safer than a homebirthe. It's a false sense of security.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How do you "not care" how another person gives birth at the same time as feeling unsupportive of it? Feeling supportive or unsupportive of something shows some level of caring.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    What a load of rubbish! Midwives can be reported and are accountable to the nursing and midwifery board of practice and open to being privately sued by clients... So they can loose their job, as in never work again, and their house too, happy now?
    A bit happier. I do know that the buck stops with the doc though. And midwives in hospitals are protected by the hospital insurer. So the likelihood of them losing their house is minimal.
    Now homebirths are a different story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    How do you "not care" how another person gives birth at the same time as feeling unsupportive of it? Feeling supportive or unsupportive of something shows some level of caring.
    I agree. I do care when babies lives are at risk. And I believe that high risk home or free births puts lives at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I'm so sorry for what you went through. You are right, docs are not gods. They do make mistakes but stories like yours are the exception rather than the norm. Why don't you sue? Plenty of lawyers work on charging only if you win.
    I thought about it, but it's been over 5 years (about 7.5) plus honestly, I don't think I could go thru it. My medical records are incomplete and there was some major a*se covering.

Believe it or not I at least partially made peace with it, it's when these type of threads come up it drags it up again... and I'm not saying we shouldn't be having these discussions to save my feelings, i think it's a very important topic that women should discuss.

I know not all obs and medical staff are bad. As I said earlier, my 2nd ob is the bomb, totally brilliant surgeon that is low intervention, hands off and is not c/s happy. I would trust him with a 3rd birth no issue.

But I think some show blind questioning, that's maybe bad wording but i think ykwim.

Guest Guest
    A baby dying of uterine rupture is also so rare there are no reported cases in Victoria. Where did your friend give birth? And I'd question whether this was the cause and whether you know the full details.

Guest Guest
    The Umbilical Cord for anyone who is interested.
    http://www.nurturingheartsbirthservi...m/blog/?p=1542