Closed Thread
Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Following orders is the reason I ended up in this mess, as are a lot of other women.
    I also agree that a wrong direction or decision can really make or break an experience for anyone and that's in any industry - I don't think it's a collective issue - perhaps more individual based.

I liken it to telling a financial advisor you want to be a millionaire and you could consult with 5 or so and it would just take one to give you bad advice or direction and you're up poop creek - had you taken the other 4's advice who knows the end result.... could be better - could be worse.

When dealing with humans we need to understand human error in every field - maybe that's why there's such a lean on getting a second opinion?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    . Umm have you seen a baby born that isn't breathing or has turns blue from lack of oxygen?? I'm sorry but I prefer someone with more then 3 yrs at uni
    studying nursing to be looking after my baby. I love my job but we have a purpose and managing a crisis like that is best left for someone more experienced.
    As a nurse you should understand that a midwife probably is the most experienced to resus a baby. Their area of expertise is babies and they receive ongoing education on a yearly basis regarding this exact issue.. And as a nurse i can say that those "three years" at uni (most midwives would accumulate another two years on top of their general nursing) mean nothing compared to clinical education... Of which a midwives far outweighs a doctor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-06-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Anyway, my birth has shaped me as a person. It's why I only have one child for now. It's why I am deathly afraid of doing it again in a hospital setting. She can call people like me a birthzilla all she likes but some people ARE changed by their birth experience!

Yep, mine too. My experience in a hospital setting has completely scarred me for life. And many other women who have terrible experiences make a birth plan for their next birth. To then be told they are 'birthzillas' for doing so is extremely insulting.

I am defined by how the birth of my son unfolded. For many women her birth will be the major defining moment in her life. I think Mia is off the mark there that people should just forget it or that it's not important.

I'd like to have more control over my next birth if there is one. Following orders is the reason I ended up in this mess, as are a lot of other women.
    Yup, exactly.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-06-2012),IndigoJ  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree lamby but I don't think you'll convince the knockers. Some people just like seeing things how they want to see them. To some extent I think women are over analyzing and picking this article to shreds because it's written by a successful female (tall poppy syndrome).
    Successful? Depends on your definition of successful... I got my muddy soaked toddler home from the park showered in bed, fed the baby washed the clothes and prepared diner... Now THATS successful!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-06-2012),Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),elleandsam  (19-06-2012),GuestMember  (19-06-2012),share a book  (19-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I still don't see why the midwives et al can't be aware of your wishes. I just don't see what's so offensive about it So what if a woman wants a playlist??
    I don't think Mia gives a hoot if women want to write down their wishes, as long as:
    a) These wishes don't interfere with the birth in a detrimental way; and
    b) They don't believe that thestoe ushers give them any right to make another woman feel inferior.

This thread is getting very nitpicky. Over and out from me.

ETA "Thestoe ushers"? Good grief autocorrect! "These wishes"
    Last edited by lambjam; 19-06-2012 at 15:17.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-06-2012),hopefully2  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    To some extent I think women are over analyzing and picking this article to shreds because it's written by a successful female (tall poppy syndrome).
    I think there are black and white people and there are black, white and grey people and while I agree with some of what is said and disagree with others it makes me no difference - I am no different to anyone else typing perhaps other than I am willing to accept that my reasoning and thinking isn't right or wrong.
    Ultimately the last 40 pages of opinions means nothing - it's just words on a page of people saying how they feel and the different motives behind why they're saying it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ACS84 View Post
    I think there are black and white people and there are black, white and grey people and while I agree with some of what is said and disagree with others it makes me no difference - I am no different to anyone else typing perhaps other than I am willing to accept that my reasoning and thinking isn't right or wrong.
    Ultimately the last 40 pages of opinions means nothing - it's just words on a page of people saying how they feel and the different motives behind why they're saying it.
    But to finish off this thought - that isn't a bad thing! It makes us human and it makes us top of the food chain! How marvellous humans are that we are able to even have these thoughts and opinions and live in an age where we can share them - ladies *and any gents you're all right and you're all wrong LOL but at least your saying something xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ACS84 View Post
    I hate and love the fact that articles like this get everyone talking and debating but am disapointed when someone's opinion is disrespected or they are made to feel stupid for saying what they think - it's exactly what the writer of the article was trying to do and what is wrong with people today.

I don't mind if anyone agrees with me or not and I totally respect everyone's right to an opinion, but I feel that people shouldn't lose sight of the fact that vaginally or c/section delivery is still an operation and/or a procedure.

Professionals are in place to ensure the safest delivery of your child whilst ensuring your safety - this is what they get paid for (whether it be OB, Midwife etc)
    Yes have a plan if it makes you feel better - finding out my baby's sex makes me feel better so I'm going to do that!
    But ultimately take comfort in the fact that women have been doing this for millions of years.
    My theory is - I'll do what I'm told - I trust my OB - I trust the professionals around me - tell me how to best give birth and we'll try that.
    There is no "better way" when the end result is a healthy mum and healthy baby - that's the best result.
    I guess I've seen first hand as I work in a hospital - that recently a mother and her baby died during child birth which is so rare these days leaving behind a devestated father and confused 2 year old - sometimes in life you have to let go and trust.
    My SIL put trust in the professionals. 3 months later with a screaming baby who was in obvious physical pain, they discovered the birth harmed him, and 12 months later my brother and his wife are bitter and disappointed and feel ripped off financially and emotionally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    So does every case go to the coroner? What about if the parties involved decide on a settlement? When does that happen and how does a silent claus (no idea if that's the right term) factor in on the coroners voice? Does it mean that the whole case is hush hush or is the coronial investigation a public event?
    Just to clarify that by parties I didn't mean the parents or families. I meant medical staff. The health service and the parents can't just decide on a settlement and that's it. There's a protocol to follow re investigation. The family can choose to seek legal advice, that's a total different thing. Coronial investigation isn't public.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I assume by rights you mean birth choices?

I disagree. I don't believe that women should be able to choose any birth they want. For example I wouldn't support a woman's choice to birth at the top of Mount Everest just for fun; to me it is unnecessarily risky. By that logic, while I say I support birth choices it turns out I only support certain birth choices, and I think that's true of almost all of us.

I think you'll find that almost all people have a limit to what they'll accept as viable birth choices. This doesn't preclude them from being feminist or caring about the rights of women. If Mia doesn't see homebirth or freebirth as viable birth choices because she believes they are dangerous, it makes her no less a feminist than someone who doesn't see sky-diving birth as a viable choice because they believe it is dangerous.

You can say that she's mistaken, that her opinion is based on misinformation. But to take it further and say she doesn't care about women's rights at all is illogical.
    Aren't women humans? She isn't supporting human rights thus she isn't supporting women's rights. That IMO doesn't make her a feminist.