Closed Thread
Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    lambjam I think the problem she's against choice of any kind - "birth plans are useful when you set them on fire".

Anyway, my birth has shaped me as a person. It's why I only have one child for now. It's why I am deathly afraid of doing it again in a hospital setting. She can call people like me a birthzilla all she likes but some people ARE changed by their birth experience!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (19-06-2012),erinn  (19-06-2012),Lillynix  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    I find this arrogance breathtaking and only underlines the article's relevance.
    A pity I didn't have these superior midwives at my birth. They freaked out and ran and got...you guessed it, the doctor.

Alimia, hear hear.
    It's not arrogance caviar. It's fact. Not all doctors are trained in normal birth. In fact most are not.
    I'm not disputing that in many aspect of health care, doctors are more trained than nurses or midwives- normal, low risk birth is just not one of those aspects I'm afraid.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (19-06-2012),Annabella  (20-06-2012),wrena  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    lambjam I think the problem she's against choice of any kind - "birth plans are useful when you set them on fire".

Anyway, my birth has shaped me as a person. It's why I only have one child for now. It's why I am deathly afraid of doing it again in a hospital setting. She can call people like me a birthzilla all she likes but some people ARE changed by their birth experience!
    I know of a young girl who was affected like this - I really felt for her because it seemed like nothing went smoothly or right in her recovery - but she went and saw a professional about it to work through some things (none of my business what they were) and I never thought she'd do it but she went back for a second - this isn't for everyone I'm sure - but seeing her heal from her experience was wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    I find this arrogance breathtaking and only underlines the article's relevance.
    A pity I didn't have these superior midwives at my birth. They freaked out and ran and got...you guessed it, the doctor.

Alimia, hear hear.
    Oh yeah those daft midwives

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I doubt a psych could fix my back or cure anal fissures but for the moment this is the least of my worries.

I am defined by how the birth of my son unfolded. For many women her birth will be the major defining moment in her life. I think Mia is off the mark there that people should just forget it or that it's not important.

I'd like to have more control over my next birth if there is one. Following orders is the reason I ended up in this mess, as are a lot of other women.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Roopee  (19-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No no no! That's not how I read that at all! She's just saying that babies will make their way the way they will, despite how eloquently you've worded your wishes.

"One of the most confronting things about pregnancy and birth is the unpredictability of it and women often believe they can regain control by planning. Babies, however, like to raise their middle finger at your plans. They come early, they come late, they get stuck, they get suddenly distressed or tired or tangled.
    I know you've made three playlists for the different stages of your labour but your baby doesn't care."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    . Umm have you seen a baby born that isn't breathing or has turns blue from lack of oxygen?? I'm sorry but I prefer someone with more then 3 yrs at uni
    studying nursing to be looking after my baby. I love my job but we have a purpose and managing a crisis like that is best left for someone more experienced.
    A lot of newly enrolled student midwives are not studying nursing- we're studying midwifery. Two very different and valuable professions and degrees.
    Yes, I have seen a baby born not breathing- I've seen a few babies born this way. Including my own. My third child was born 'flat', with an apgar of 3. And needing to be resussed. Thank god the midwives knew what they were doing because they, and their infant resuss skills are probably what saved her life.
    I'm not saying doctors don't have a role, that wouldn't exactly be very smart- of course they do- but at a normal, low risk birth midwives are more than qualified for childbirth. W
    What I'm getting at is that homebirth,with a qualified midwife, for normal, low risk pregnancies is a safe and valid OPTION for women. A sentiment the author of this 'article' does not subscribe to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    No no no! That's not how I read that at all! She's just saying that babies will make their way the way they will, despite how eloquently you've worded your wishes.

"One of the most confronting things about pregnancy and birth is the unpredictability of it and women often believe they can regain control by planning. Babies, however, like to raise their middle finger at your plans. They come early, they come late, they get stuck, they get suddenly distressed or tired or tangled.
    I know you've made three playlists for the different stages of your labour but your baby doesn't care."
    I still don't see why the midwives et al can't be aware of your wishes. I just don't see what's so offensive about it So what if a woman wants a playlist??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I doubt a psych could fix my back or cure anal fissures but for the moment this is the least of my worries.

I am defined by how the birth of my son unfolded. For many women her birth will be the major defining moment in her life. I think Mia is off the mark there that people should just forget it or that it's not important.

I'd like to have more control over my next birth if there is one. Following orders is the reason I ended up in this mess, as are a lot of other women.

Apologies Benji I assumed we were speaking about the same thing...

I totally agree with you - you have to find a provider of care that you feel you can trust and if that means you tell them exactly what you want and what you want to control - I say go for it - however if the provider says "that's do-able" and it will all go how you want it - I'd run in the opposite direction!

I really admire and respect my OB because of a few reasons but mainly because I feel like I'm consulted - not about my opinion on anything exactly - but it's like we're having a conversation between friends and she either agrees with me or disagrees - it's not a submissive dominator type relationship - she takes on board what I have to say and will make a decision after knowing all the relevant information.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ACS84 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post

I agree lamby but I don't think you'll convince the knockers. Some people just like seeing things how they want to see them. To some extent I think women are over analyzing and picking this article to shreds because it's written by a successful female (tall poppy syndrome).