Closed Thread
Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 621
  1. #371
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Now the article was about birthzillas, people who talk about their births with an air of superiority. But that's not just homebirthers, is it?

    Every time someone suggests that if you care about your baby you'll go to hospital instead of staying home selfishly and taking unnecessary risk they are suggesting they're the better mother because they sacrifice any control over their body for their baby. They are leaving it to the experts because that's what good mothers do.

    Right....

    And then these same people claim that homebirthers are soooo judgemental and look down on them because they act so superior. Really? REALLY?

    Because I'm seeing a lot of suggestion regarding the selfishness and arrogance of homebirthers and a lot of suggestion about how good mums go to hospital "for the good of the baby." A lot of suggestion that mums birthing at home only care about themselves, not their baby.

    I think all mothers want to believe they made the very best decision for their unborn child. And you know what, most do.
    lol yes I have noticed that too, and not just in this thread but in pretty much every birth thread when it comes up. It's only your choice when it's a c/s or vb birth in a hospital. It isn't ok to question those, but more than ok to question those that birth at home.

    In regards to paed's I never had one in either of my c/s. The first was in a large regional hospital, no paed. he saw DD on day 3 or 4 where he checked for clicky hips since she was complete breech. He also did the wellness check.

    For DS I gave birth in a little bush hospital (far better in every respect to the bigger one). No paed full stop. The nearest one is 65kms away. I had the ob, anesthetist, 2 registrars and 2 middies. The middie did the health check on discharge. IMO a paed is not needed.
    Last edited by delirium; 19-06-2012 at 14:16.

  2. #372
    Guest Guest
    I had my babies at 2 hospitals in Melbourne, the womens and St V's private. Never had a paed present for either vb or my c/s. Paed saw ds on day 3, and dd at the womens never saw one.

  3. #373
    Fuchsia!'s Avatar
    Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,910
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked
    815
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never had a pead at either my C/S or my vaginal.

  4. #374
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    12
    Reviews
    0
    I hate and love the fact that articles like this get everyone talking and debating but am disapointed when someone's opinion is disrespected or they are made to feel stupid for saying what they think - it's exactly what the writer of the article was trying to do and what is wrong with people today.

    I don't mind if anyone agrees with me or not and I totally respect everyone's right to an opinion, but I feel that people shouldn't lose sight of the fact that vaginally or c/section delivery is still an operation and/or a procedure.

    Professionals are in place to ensure the safest delivery of your child whilst ensuring your safety - this is what they get paid for (whether it be OB, Midwife etc)
    Yes have a plan if it makes you feel better - finding out my baby's sex makes me feel better so I'm going to do that!
    But ultimately take comfort in the fact that women have been doing this for millions of years.
    My theory is - I'll do what I'm told - I trust my OB - I trust the professionals around me - tell me how to best give birth and we'll try that.
    There is no "better way" when the end result is a healthy mum and healthy baby - that's the best result.
    I guess I've seen first hand as I work in a hospital - that recently a mother and her baby died during child birth which is so rare these days leaving behind a devestated father and confused 2 year old - sometimes in life you have to let go and trust.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACS84 For This Useful Post:

    Guest654  (19-06-2012),VicPark  (19-06-2012)

  6. #375
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    478
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked
    120
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Yes. Midwives CAN and DO perform discharge checks on babies. There is an additional course they must take if they want to be qualified in this task but they can do them. In fact, it's more common, especially within the public system, for the checks to be performed by a midwife.
    As for the knowledge comparison.Well midwives are actually MORE knowledgeable regading birth than some doctors. At my local Uni (and many others across the country) the MIDWIFE tutors and lecturers who ARE practising midwives themselves, spend a few days, (yes thats right a few DAYS) introducing the doctors to childbirth. Many doctors graduate without actually seeing a birth.




    And nor should they- Dr's are not needed at most homebirths.
    Also, not sure if you're aware BUT there is a massive, huge gaping difference between 'childrens health' and 'childbirth'. Midwives know and practice infant resus, they know how to unravel a cord thats wrapped around a babies neck- they know their stuff when it comes to birth because thats what they are trained in. THAT is what we spend 3 years and 1300 (as a minimum) hours learning to do.
    . Umm have you seen a baby born that isn't breathing or has turns blue from lack of oxygen?? I'm sorry but I prefer someone with more then 3 yrs at uni
    studying nursing to be looking after my baby. I love my job but we have a purpose and managing a crisis like that is best left for someone more experienced.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alimia For This Useful Post:

    AllYouNeedIsLove  (19-06-2012),Blessedwith3boys  (19-06-2012),Caviar  (19-06-2012),VicPark  (19-06-2012)

  8. #376
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,057
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    . Umm have you seen a baby born that isn't breathing or has turns blue from lack of oxygen?? I'm sorry but I prefer someone with more then 3 yrs at uni
    studying nursing to be looking after my baby. I love my job but we have a purpose and managing a crisis like that is best left for someone more experienced.
    It's really sad you undervalue your own profession and your coworkers abilities.

    As PP have pointed out, paeds are not normally attending births, or always doing checks. I had 3 at the birth of DS, 2 students and a fully qualified one, I had none check DD out ever, both were c-sections.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

    AllYouNeedIsLove  (19-06-2012),Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),elleandsam  (19-06-2012)

  10. #377
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Adelaide foothills
    Posts
    753
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked
    426
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well midwives are actually MORE knowledgeable regading birth than some doctors.
    I find this arrogance breathtaking and only underlines the article's relevance.
    A pity I didn't have these superior midwives at my birth. They freaked out and ran and got...you guessed it, the doctor.

    Alimia, hear hear.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

    Alimia  (19-06-2012),Blessedwith3boys  (19-06-2012),VicPark  (19-06-2012)

  12. #378
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    It doesn't. What precludes her from being a feminist is not giving a hoot about the rights of women.
    I assume by rights you mean birth choices?

    I disagree. I don't believe that women should be able to choose any birth they want. For example I wouldn't support a woman's choice to birth at the top of Mount Everest just for fun; to me it is unnecessarily risky. By that logic, while I say I support birth choices it turns out I only support certain birth choices, and I think that's true of almost all of us.

    I think you'll find that almost all people have a limit to what they'll accept as viable birth choices. This doesn't preclude them from being feminist or caring about the rights of women. If Mia doesn't see homebirth or freebirth as viable birth choices because she believes they are dangerous, it makes her no less a feminist than someone who doesn't see sky-diving birth as a viable choice because they believe it is dangerous.

    You can say that she's mistaken, that her opinion is based on misinformation. But to take it further and say she doesn't care about women's rights at all is illogical.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    Artful  (19-06-2012),beebs  (19-06-2012),Guest654  (19-06-2012),VicPark  (19-06-2012)

  14. #379
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    12
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    By that logic, while I say I support birth choices it turns out I only support certain birth choices, and I think that's true of almost all of us.
    I agree! A choice can't be by someone who doesn't know all relevant factors - which quite frankly not many people giving birth do.
    (Not meaning to insult anyone's inteligence here! Just stating that it's not everyone's field of speciality).

    It's like a wishlist - you can think you know how you want things to go down - but there are SO many times and ways "what's best" can change throughout the process - IMO there needs to be room to move in a plan - that goes with everything in life!

  15. #380
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,057
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hah, I'm going to ask for a sky diving birth on my next birth plan.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30-09-2012, 23:17
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 20:51
  3. To all you mothers who's babies sleep through the night
    By summastarlet in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 17-05-2012, 15:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!