Closed Thread
Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love the irony of how her article has resulted in a 35 page (so far anyhow) thread being created and lots of the old classic judgemental bubhub posts cropping up, feeling the need to justify themselves. The funny thing is BubHub opened my eyes to the competitive world of mothers long before articles like this. This thread reaffirms that That and people take everything so seriously and to heart. Not everything is a personal attack.

I used to be this way with my 1st child, I used pain relief in labour and I was induced and used pain relief, failed to BF, used disposables, used childcare, etc, etc. Then I realised why should I feel the need to justify to someone else, my child is happy and healthy, screw them. I get where she is coming from.

Reading her article I just find it laughable how damn serious people take everything, taking it as a judgement, as a personal attack upon you as an individual like she's pointing at you and saying "yeah this is about YOU birthzilla".

I try not to overthink everything birth and parenting related and if I do, I stop and give myself a virtual slap

The amount of links I see people post in forums and on facebook is overwhelming. Good thing I don't tend to read most of them It's all well and good to be educated (I'm familiar with google and will do it when I feel necessary), but common lighten up a little is what I say.

Other people's methods or parenting choices are just that. THEIRS. Who am I to think I'm better than someone else and ram my opinions down their throat?

I'm personally very thankful for the medical practioners who assisted me during my 2 pregnancies and labours (the first very intervention filled due to preclampsia so IMO it was necessary, the second pretty relaxed and only a little intervention here and there).

My kids wouldn't be here without them.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misheycat For This Useful Post:

ACS84  (19-06-2012),Caviar  (19-06-2012),Guest654  (19-06-2012),Milly Molly Mandy  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had a paed at all my births

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I just read the part about c/sections and it makes sense now. The first was a vb that had lots of complications and the last two were c./sections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I'm the OP. After 35 pages I think reintroducing myself is necessary...as is the premise of the article

While not surprised that the topic hit a nerve, I admit I am surprised by a lot of the responses. There's certainly a lot of misinformation out there. And, then there's the way the article was interpreted.

I don't want to poo-poo anyone's perspective here. After all, life's all about perspective, right? But as I initially posted about the article and the thread seems to have veered waaaaaayyyyy of the track I initially put it on, I wanted to state the following reasons why I valued the article.

• The author wasn't panning all mothers. She was highlighting a social more that is very prevalent in today's society. Yes, mothers do get very confrontational!
    • I was bailed up at a bbq, a supermarket and a doctor's surgery. All by strangers. And all with something less than helpful to say. At least the author had a vague notion of who her interrogator was.
    • The article outlined exactly my experiences with people who feel they have the right to cast aspersions on other mothers, normally with very little knowledge on the subject to start with. And yes, some of them have been very confrontational....
    • The author described a particular situation, not a whole world view. I find that this was largely taken out of context in this thread.
    • Some people in this world do have their priorities in a way that you or I would find skewed. This is just a fact of life. The article illustrated to me how this fact of life applied to my life.
    • The author wasn't rejecting birth plans or the method of birth. She was only highlighting how these and other aspects of the birthing experience can be distracting to some. Kinda like the journey and not the destination analogy. And I liked how this was depicted in a non threatening way.
    • The author injected a modicum of humour into what was previously an unpleasant experience for me and therein helped me appreciate it for what it was and what it is now to me: an experience rather than an upsetting memory.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Caviar; 19-06-2012 at 13:51.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Our hospital only has a general Dr, who is on call (within the hospital, it was just whichever Dr was there) to deliver the baby if needed, if not the midwives do it themselves. DS1 was delivered by the Dr and about 4midwives. DS2 was birthed by me with the help of a middie, and a supervising middie. The Dr didnt see him until the next morning.

The Paed would have been called (from home) if needed, but he/she wasnt on hand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I love to hear about other people's birth experiences too. I think the process of birth is vitally important - i'd never minimise it.

But I don't think HOW someone birthed (vaginal, c/s, freebirth, while dancing on the top of a mountain) defines them as a woman or a mother. And the way I read her piece is that she feels the same way.
    <<This!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a paed present at all four of my births too?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's funny how people interpreted the article so differently. I think right from the beginning she was mocking and judgemental with her little placenta plan story and comment that birth plans should be burned. I beleive she was being the very thing she supposedly hates..

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    It's funny how people interpreted the article so differently. I think right from the beginning she was mocking and judgemental with her little placenta plan story and comment that birth plans should be burned. I beleive she was being the very thing she supposedly hates..

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    That's what I took from it, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Oh how wrong you are! A midwife is not trained to do medical checks on baby's. I don't care how experienced a midwife is, they don't have the extensive medical knowledge doctors have. And I am a nurse!
    Yes. Midwives CAN and DO perform discharge checks on babies. There is an additional course they must take if they want to be qualified in this task but they can do them. In fact, it's more common, especially within the public system, for the checks to be performed by a midwife.
    As for the knowledge comparison.Well midwives are actually MORE knowledgeable regading birth than some doctors. At my local Uni (and many others across the country) the MIDWIFE tutors and lecturers who ARE practising midwives themselves, spend a few days, (yes thats right a few DAYS) introducing the doctors to childbirth. Many doctors graduate without actually seeing a birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Probably because the cant fund a dr at every homebirth. I should re phrase, I'm sure they are competent just not as competent at someone who specializes in children's health. But hey I am pro- choice do whatever floats your boat but doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Ok thats it's I'm done arguing! Enjoy your day
    And nor should they- Dr's are not needed at most homebirths.
    Also, not sure if you're aware BUT there is a massive, huge gaping difference between 'childrens health' and 'childbirth'. Midwives know and practice infant resus, they know how to unravel a cord thats wrapped around a babies neck- they know their stuff when it comes to birth because thats what they are trained in. THAT is what we spend 3 years and 1300 (as a minimum) hours learning to do.