Closed Thread
Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At least them being at the hospital you are giving your baby a chance to recieve medical attention if needed.
    Im sitting here looking at the homebirth kit in front of me. I have an oxygen tank, full resuscitation kit, defib, medications in the fridge, iv lines, iv fluids, catheters, right here in my home. I will have 2 midwives here when i birth. Two very skilled midwives. Not the luck.of the draw new grad in hospital running between several women. If anything looks like it is going pear shape they will pick it up much earlier than a midwife in hospital who may poke her head in every half hour or so. This gives me plenty of time to transfer the 3kms to the hospital by ambo. I have zero chance of unwanted medical intervention, thus zero risk of adverse outcomes for myself or.baby due to intervention. Tell me what further medical assistance my baby or myself should require at hospital?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub[/QUOTE]

I don't think the article is attacking women like you who are open to receive assistance if needed. It's the ones who are unwavering in their plans that the article is singling out. These women do exist. They are birthzillas and they do put unnecessary risk on themselves and their unborn.[/QUOTE]

This post wasnt about the article, it was aimed at the likes of alimia who perpetuate the unfounded risks of homebirth.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    What a waste of hospital resources if every woman births there. No wonder I felt like I was on a production line whilst giving birth.
    I was the 5th women in a line for a c/s when I had DD, and I had her at 10:18am. I said to DH I felt like it was just an assembly line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I was the 5th women in a line for a c/s when I had DD, and I had her at 10:18am. I said to DH I felt like it was just an assembly line.

even with my VB I felt like the midwife didn't want to be there and just wanted the baby out as quick as possible at any cost so she could move onto the next birth. Thank goodness for my student midwife who was present, she was a blessing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post

Serious question. Do you have blood products and intubation available in the event of haemorrage and if baby is not breathing?? Or is this something most HB would not want? Do HB have a plan B in the event that something goes wrong? Will a hospital accept you? Again, this is a genuine question and I'm not trying to stir.
    No to blood products - if the situation is that dire we will be in hospital by then. Also, the biggest immediate threat of blood loss is hypovolaemia, so fluids are sufficient to prevent death on the way to hospital as they maintain blood volume, hence pressure, so zero need for blood at home

Yes to intubation, it is in the resus kit, as well as a full tank of oxygen.

Yes the hospital will accept me a) no hospital can refuse anyone brought in by ambulance. B) im going through a publically funded HB program attached to a hospital. They are fully aware who i am and my plans for a homebirth

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),headoverfeet  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Oh how wrong you are! A midwife is not trained to do medical checks on baby's. I don't care how experienced a midwife is, they don't have the extensive medical knowledge doctors have. And I am a nurse!
    I am also a nurse, ansd i could not disagree with your posts more if i tried.

Also, i would expect better of a nurse, a health care professional, than to take such a strong stance on a subject based on personal opinion, not research.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Why are we so fearful of birth?

I planned to drive into work today. Nobody has told me "you and your DS could DIE in the car, you shouldn't drive"...

I just don't understand this fear. Anything could go wrong any time with anyone. My DS could go into anaphylactic shock from an allergy we don't know about, doesn't mean we should live at the hospital 'just in case'.

What a waste of hospital resources if every woman births there. No wonder I felt like I was on a production line whilst giving birth.
    Oh, Amen to you! A woman after my own heart :-) I agree wholeheartedly and almost ashamed I was suckered in as a first time mum into giving birth in a hospital :-( IF there is ever another baby (which I doubt) it will 100% be at home :-)

***Sent from my phone***

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I said they may have been avoided. I don't know and you don't know, and it's that question that hangs over homebirth deaths and gives them the attention they get.

I don't understand why people say deaths in hospital aren't investigated. Of course they are.
    Yes they definately are! I work in Clinical Risk so I know.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Yes they definately are! I work in Clinical Risk so I know.
    Of course they are, but are they investigated by the coroner or within the confines of the hospital? I'd be interested to hear what happens when a baby dies in hospital and how they investigate it?

*genuine question!*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Also how do you know a delivery is going to turn pear shape. Even the most low risk pregnancies can still have unexpected outcomes
    You dont know. Just as you dont know in a hospital. The midwives at home use the exact same criteria as midwives in hospital to determine if a labour is going pear-shaped, such as merconium stained waters, etc. If something indicates anything is wrong it is immediate transfer to hospital, you are in theatre just as fast as a woman in the birthing suite who starts going pear-shaped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Okay - we are getting off track here, we are talking about the article, an if you like it or not is not the point. The point is that there *are* women out there who look down at other peoples birth choice, as I said before that includes women who have c/sections and vbs and all other types of birth.

And that is not ok, there have been some whopper threads on here about the very thing - it is funny how we all forget about them when at the time it seem so massive

Who cares how anyone births - as long as they are happy then who cares. And as long as other women don't think they are somehow special because they did it xyz way.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Artful  (19-06-2012),delirium  (19-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (19-06-2012)