Closed Thread
Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    My definition of arriving safely is having an open mind to intervention if needed. So yours is no intervention at all ever?
    I never said I was against medical intervention ever

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    There are these people, called Midwives, who've done
    years of medical training specifically in the area of maternal health and babies.

Assuming the labour has gone well and there were no concerns about the babies health it's a safe option.

There would be not much more a paed could do than a MW in an emergency situation? So I don't understand your logic.
    Oh how wrong you are! A midwife is not trained to do medical checks on baby's. I don't care how experienced a midwife is, they don't have the extensive medical knowledge doctors have. And I am a nurse!
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 19-06-2012 at 11:15. Reason: fixing quote bracket

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At least them being at the hospital you are giving your baby a chance to recieve medical attention if needed.[/QUOTE]

Im sitting here looking at the homebirth kit in front of me. I have an oxygen tank, full resuscitation kit, defib, medications in the fridge, iv lines, iv fluids, catheters, right here in my home. I will have 2 midwives here when i birth. Two very skilled midwives. Not the luck.of the draw new grad in hospital running between several women. If anything looks like it is going pear shape they will pick it up much earlier than a midwife in hospital who may poke her head in every half hour or so. This gives me plenty of time to transfer the 3kms to the hospital by ambo. I have zero chance of unwanted medical intervention, thus zero risk of adverse outcomes for myself or.baby due to intervention. Tell me what further medical assistance my baby or myself should require at hospital?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub[/QUOTE]

I don't think the article is attacking women like you who are open to receive assistance if needed. It's the ones who are unwavering in their plans that the article is singling out. These women do exist. They are birthzillas and they do put unnecessary risk on themselves and their unborn.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When I was very close to having a caesarian (was even prepped for one - couldn't feel anything from waist down) it took ages for the anaethatist to arrive and a long time for a room to be prepped. Most women who opt for a homebirth do it within a reasonable distance from the hospital and the ambo will let the hospital know that she's on her way and there's an emergency. I doubt the time difference would be life-saving between the two waits.

I was open minded about intervention. What I didn't like was having intervention FORCED on me. Sometimes when you walk into a hospital you can pretty much guarantee you won't be having a normal birth. They will talk you into breaking waters or something to make it go faster. They're not always patient. If you can get a natural birth you're lucky. I think homebirth is good because it means you're open minded to a normal intervention-free birth when there's no complications I feel my complications were actually brought on by the intervention forced on me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I wonder if this was a piece by a natural birther making comments how c/s women were too posh to push, were putting their children and themselves at risk for their own vanity, elective c/s is dangerous and the option should be taken from women blah blah, with lots of generalisations and little stabs, would some of the comments here be different?

bc I know my comments would be the same. I have difficulty understanding purely elective c/s (so not for previous trauma from vb, medical reasons etc etc). but it's not my business or my body. I also highly doubt I would HB or FB. Doesn't mean I don't support their choice.

If you don't want a HB, don't have one. If you don't want a birth plan and want to take it as it comes, do so. If c/s is the best option for you, have it without feeling you have to justify yourself.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (19-06-2012),Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012),headoverfeet  (19-06-2012),SassyMummy  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    There are these people, called Midwives, who've done years of medical training specifically in the area of maternal health and babies.

Assuming the labour has gone well and there were no concerns about the babies health it's a safe option.

There would be not much more a paed could do than a MW in an emergency situation? So I don't understand your logic.
    Also how do you know a delivery is going to turn pear shape. Even the most low risk pregnancies can still have unexpected outcomes

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    UOTE=BlissedOut;6641173]There are these people, called Midwives, who've done
    years of medical training specifically in the area of maternal health and babies.

Oh how wrong you are! A midwife is not trained to do medical checks on baby's. I don't care how experienced a midwife is, they don't have the extensive medical knowledge doctors have. And I am a nurse![/QUOTE]

Oh **** a pead never checked my baby who was born in hospital, my son born at home was only checked by my midwife and my DD has never been checked at all. Quick someone call DOCS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At least them being at the hospital you are giving your baby a chance to recieve medical attention if needed.[/QUOTE]

Im sitting here looking at the homebirth kit in front of me. I have an oxygen tank, full resuscitation kit, defib, medications in the fridge, iv lines, iv fluids, catheters, right here in my home. I will have 2 midwives here when i birth. Two very skilled midwives. Not the luck.of the draw new grad in hospital running between several women. If anything looks like it is going pear shape they will pick it up much earlier than a midwife in hospital who may poke her head in every half hour or so. This gives me plenty of time to transfer the 3kms to the hospital by ambo. I have zero chance of unwanted medical intervention, thus zero risk of adverse outcomes for myself or.baby due to intervention. Tell me what further medical assistance my baby or myself should require at hospital?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub[/QUOTE]

Serious question. Do you have blood products and intubation available in the event of haemorrage and if baby is not breathing?? Or is this something most HB would not want? Do HB have a plan B in the event that something goes wrong? Will a hospital accept you? Again, this is a genuine question and I'm not trying to stir.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why are we so fearful of birth?

I planned to drive into work today. Nobody has told me "you and your DS could DIE in the car, you shouldn't drive"...

I just don't understand this fear. Anything could go wrong any time with anyone. My DS could go into anaphylactic shock from an allergy we don't know about, doesn't mean we should live at the hospital 'just in case'.

What a waste of hospital resources if every woman births there. No wonder I felt like I was on a production line whilst giving birth.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (19-06-2012),Super Trooper  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Also how do you know a delivery is going to turn pear shape. Even the most low risk pregnancies can still have unexpected outcomes
    How do you know when you gets for a drive next your not going to be in a major accident? Sure a seatbelt helps but it's not an operating room..