Closed Thread
Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 640
  1. #271
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I get what you are saying about hospital births, so much birth trauma occurs due to unnecessary medical intervention in birth.

    But - if my memory serves correctly - those 4 homebirth deaths were considered high risk and should have been managed at hospital. Perhaps that is what she was trying to put across. That sometimes homebirth just is not right for that particular woman at that particular time.
    She wrote that article before the coroner determined they could have been avoided in a hospital. Otherwise she was making a blind stance before knowing any facts. No one knows whether a homebirth death could have been avoided in a hospital until its determined that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    PS - If someone came up to me at a party and asked me how I "birthed my placenta" I'd want to poke them in the eye with a sausage too.
    No one did that to her, she was asked what her plan was when pregnant. Seeing as she writes artciles and opinion pieces and makes a public stance on birth practices, someone thought it'd be a good conversation to have with her??

    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    She is entitled to her opinion, no matter if it is right or if anyone agrees with it.
    She advocates, she doesn't just give her opinion and she has influence that takes away choices. She believes women should birth with a dr in a hospital, its not her decision to make for other women.

    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Those deaths are discussed, but to address your point I suppose it's because the homebirth deaths may have been avoided in hospital, but the reverse cannot be said of the hospital deaths.

    I agree with your second point though.
    ]
    You have no idea whether those hospital deaths could have been avoided. Dr's and midwives make mistakes. And to assume all homebirth deaths could have been avoided in a hospital is false. When it happens at home, the mother and midwife is blamed, when it happens in a hospital it's no one fault and nothing could have been done?? No.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-06-2012),Super Trooper  (19-06-2012)

  3. #272
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    She believes they're dangerous, and that the Australian medical system is not set up for them.

    ETA http://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/...ragic-reasons/
    2 of these births were freebirths, not homebirths.

  4. #273
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    You have no idea whether those hospital deaths could have been avoided. Dr's and midwives make mistakes. And to assume all homebirth deaths could have been avoided in a hospital is false. When it happens at home, the mother and midwife is blamed, when it happens in a hospital it's no one fault and nothing could have been done?? No.
    I said they may have been avoided. I don't know and you don't know, and it's that question that hangs over homebirth deaths and gives them the attention they get.

    I don't understand why people say deaths in hospital aren't investigated. Of course they are.
    Last edited by lambjam; 19-06-2012 at 10:39.

  5. #274
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    2 of these births were freebirths, not homebirths.
    My first statement was in answer to a question about Mia Freedman. I later linked to the article to give some background.

    The fact remains that Mia Freedman believes that homebirths are dangerous and that the Australian medical system is not set up for them. I didn't write it!

  6. #275
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked
    383
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    2 of these births were freebirths, not homebirths.
    They were only free births coz the midwife deregistered herself so she wouldn't be legally culpable if and when things went balls up!

    Ok I am I unsubscribing before I send myself into early labor.

  7. #276
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    So why say you don't support 'high risk' women birthing at home if you do? You say you think they should birth in hospital but if they are adamant they are going to HB you'll support them? That's not support.
    It's like that catch 22 thing, I don't support them really - I don't think high risk births should be at home BUT, if they are going to do it, then they shouldn't be doing it by themselves. Just because I don't support it doesn't mean I think they should be alone and in danger by themselves. Does that make sense?

  8. #277
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I said they may have been avoided. I don't know and you dont' know, and it's that question that hangs over homebirth deaths and gives them the attention they get.

    I don't understand why people say deaths in hospital aren't investigated. Of course they are.
    They get the attention because of people like Mia using scare tactics and projecting her own fears and lack of understanding about women and birthing.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012),headoverfeet  (19-06-2012),Super Trooper  (19-06-2012)

  10. #278
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Since when did this turn into a homebirthers/freebirths don't believe a healthy baby is good enough debate? Why don't we have a look at all the women who birth in hospital, make choices and end up with dead injured babies?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012)

  12. #279
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    They get the attention because of people like Mia using scare tactics and projecting her own fears and lack of understanding about women and birthing.
    You forgot all the payouts hospitals make to shut up families who's babies they maimed or killed. Because hospitals have insurance companies

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    Super Trooper  (19-06-2012)

  14. #280
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have been, heaps of people have been mentioning birth trauma due to hospitals that medicalise birth


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30-09-2012, 23:17
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 20:51
  3. To all you mothers who's babies sleep through the night
    By Eleven3Eleven in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 17-05-2012, 15:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Baby Sensory
Baby Sensory is the only baby programme that offers a complete approach to learning & development. Our classes offer an exciting world full of fun sensory experiences for parents and babies to enjoy.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!