Closed Thread
Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    She was shocked to read about 4 deaths in a homebirth (that weren't freebirths) but how about we analyze babies deaths in hospitals, why aren't those ever discussed?
    If she was worried about our hospital system not being equipped to deal with homebirths, how about she advocates for them to be, so women can still have the choice.
    Those deaths are discussed, but to address your point I suppose it's because the homebirth deaths may have been avoided in hospital, but the reverse cannot be said of the hospital deaths.

I agree with your second point though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly I love the article. I think a lot of women get caught up in wanting a certain birth and end up seriously mentally unwell when things go pear shaped. I think having a birth plan is fine but when it's is inflexible and detrimental to the health of mother and child I feel perplexed. I have caught a conversation between two ob's before where one was nearly in tears coz the woman wouldn't let him do his job and he nearly lost both her and the baby. Another example was this week I took my dd on a tour of our hospital so she was prepared as our baby arrives soon and a woman on the tour was so fixated on epidural side effects she was an hysterical mess at the end of the 20 minute tour. I don't care if the author is labelled feminist, moderate or main******. IMO she speaks sense for what is and should be the primary concern of all expectant mothers which is get this baby out of me safely!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-06-2012),Guest654  (19-06-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I get what you are saying about hospital births, so much birth trauma occurs due to unnecessary medical intervention in birth.

But - if my memory serves correctly - those 4 homebirth deaths were considered high risk and should have been managed at hospital. Perhaps that is what she was trying to put across. That sometimes homebirth just is not right for that particular woman at that particular time.
    But are you the person who gets to decide that?

'High risk' women will still birth outside the system with or without the backing of a hospital&/midwife, removing the choice for them to have a midwife present doesn't make homebirth safer, some women who would other wise homebirth would switch to free birthing and free birthing isn't something you should do by default IMO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Those deaths are discussed, but to address your point I suppose it's because the homebirth deaths may have been avoided in hospital, but the reverse cannot be said of the hospital deaths.

Same - at the end of the day, some women want to homebirth - so it should be set up so they can do it easily and safely, and free just like hospital birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, I can see why one would think freebirth was a bit full on. I am sure freebirthers are the first to say that it isn't for everyone?
    Damn straight! I've freebirthed, but it's absolutely not something I go around actively promoting, or encouraging other women to do it.

I will absolutely suggest homebirth as a valid option, and encourage a woman to look in to it if I think she's interested, but yeah, I don't do that with freebirth.

What I will do in regards to freebirth, is offer my opinions and suggestions to someone who has already made the decision to freebirth.

*I can haz typos*

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She is entitled to her opinion, no matter if it is right or if anyone agrees with it.
    I didn't say she wasn't I just got the vibe that 'we' were debating her stance on homebirthing when she has clearly stated her opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    But are you the person who gets to decide that?

'High risk' women will still birth outside the system with or without the backing of a hospital&/midwife, removing the choice for them to have a midwife present doesn't make homebirth safer, some women who would other wise homebirth would switch to free birthing and free birthing isn't something you should do by default IMO.
    NO of course I don't get to decide. But as mentioned before by PP, some people are stupid twits, and will do it even if they are really high risk. I would prefer to see that those people are supported at home if they are really intent on doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post

You cannot take a birth and put it in another location and say what kind of result you would of gotten

(unless we are talking about placenta previa etc.)

I know a woman who was planning a HB, her waters were mec stained, she went to hospy and they augmented her labour for a few hours before realizing they were nearly killing her baby, she ended up with a Cs and they cord was coiled around the bottom of her uterus, I can't remember how long the cord was but it was very long.

If I had of been going main****** I would of been induced with DD, who knows how that might of ended? Instead I had a perfectly straight forward normal VB now I could say that I might of been induced with the drip, had an epi, her heart rate might of plummeted, I could of gone for a Cs and ended up bleeding to death..but how do I know that? It works both ways.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't even think she is talking about those who put others down about their own birth. She talks about her friend who asked her about her placenta - as if that is an offensive thing to ask And talks about her own plan for her placenta, but Mia basically said she doesn't give a shiz and she should've shut up. There was nothing there to suggest to me that this woman was competing, just telling her her own plans.

Then she has a dig at those who use the words 'empowerment' and 'control' of THEIR OWN BIRTHS. How dare they - how dare they want to be in control of their own body at their own birth

If she wrote an article about those who put down others who have a VB or a CS etc I would agree with her.

But SHE herself is behaving like a 'birthzilla' as she puts it. She isn't having a go at birthzillas, she's having a dig at those who want to have their own birth. And she doesn't give a crap about their birth plan. Again, how dare anybody write down their preferences for how they would like to give birth - they should just be TOLD what to do

I think she's being offensive and rude.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (19-06-2012),BabushkaMumma  (19-06-2012),Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012),delirium  (19-06-2012),erinn  (19-06-2012),headoverfeet  (19-06-2012),IndigoJ  (19-06-2012),Lillynix  (19-06-2012),Piffle  (19-06-2012),Super Trooper  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    NO of course I don't get to decide. But as mentioned before by PP, some people are stupid twits, and will do it even if they are really high risk. I would prefer to see that those people are supported at home if they are really intent on doing it.
    So why say you don't support 'high risk' women birthing at home if you do? You say you think they should birth in hospital but if they are adamant they are going to HB you'll support them? That's not support.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),elleandsam  (19-06-2012)