Closed Thread
Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    I have to side with this. The article (which has sarcastic tones and I don't think it should be taken seriously) is referring to a very specific type of person.
    Perhaps I could believe this if Mia was writing in a vacuum and this was the only piece on natural birth she has written. But it isn't. She is very vocal about her anti Homebirth stance. Which I find confusing as she calls herself a feminist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does anyone know why Mia is anti homebirth?? I would never do it myself and will never fathom anyone who is high risk doing it, but at the end of the day, if you are healthy etc then I can't see a problem with it.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    I have to side with this. The article (which has sarcastic tones and I don't think it should be taken seriously) is referring to a very specific type of person. I have come across the elusive 'birthzilla' and will share a couple of close, let's call them 'acquaintances' stories. A1, A2 and A3

A1 decided very early on in her pregnancy (her first) exactly how it was going to go. Come hell or high water, there was to be NO intervention. After labouring for two days after her waters had broken she still refused a cesarean birth. Sadly her beautiful dd was born with her cord around her neck and had a lack of oxygen for two days. She was born with severe brain damage and passed away at 18 hours old. For her second birth she opted to travel four hours for an elective cesarean and has a handsome ds.

A2 had a horrible experience with two of her previous hospital births. Labouring for hours, 'forced' pain relief, vacuum, tearing etc. Cesarean had been suggested but she too refused. For her third birth she decided she was doing it at home her way. Due to complications I have never found out, her bub also passed away. Is it possible that a hospital birth could have prevented such a tragedy?

I believe that these are the type of women Mia is referring to. There is a point where you draw the line and toast that plan like marshmallows.

A3 had three 'textbook perfect' births, she had no time do get to the hospital for her fourth and had a home birth delivered by her DP. She now has a beautiful 1 week old boy. She loved it and said it was the most amazing thing she's ever done and was glad to have her other three chillens a part of it. This isn't what she planned but it worked for her and her family. Who are we to judge?
    I'm pretty shocked you're calling these women birthzillas, especially when they lost their babies. You don't know the circumstances around these cases, what they were being told by their hcp and whether they or their birth preferences directly contributed to their babies deaths.
    Babies die in hospitals aswell for many many reasons, blaming the mother and calling her a birthzilla is very hurtful.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (19-06-2012),BabushkaMumma  (19-06-2012),Benji  (19-06-2012),Bubbles10  (19-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (19-06-2012),IndigoJ  (19-06-2012),Super Trooper  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Perhaps I could believe this if Mia was writing in a vacuum and this was the only piece on natural birth she has written. But it isn't. She is very vocal about her anti Homebirth stance. Which I find confusing as she calls herself a feminist?
    I have never heard of her before now, so I have no idea what she stands for. My opinion (and mine alone) is based purely on THIS article and the experiences of people I know.

I don't care how another women births her child, all I care about when my time comes is that both myself and my baby will be safe and healthy. All I ask is that I'm informed about what's going on and I would like medical staff (yes I WILL give birth in a hospital) to talk TO me not ABOUT me.

I believe that it's not just the author with these views, plenty of hubbers criticise eachother for birthing decisions all the time, much the same as AP, Immunisations and BFvsFF . The competition stems from one persons beliefs being forced upon another. "I had a cesarean" or "I formula fed" "I would NEVER do that, it's cheating"

I have told friends when they talk about their births that when my times comes I'm open to drugs, if they're there to make it easier them I'll take them, and for this I have been crucified. Really, How does my decision affect their lives? It's when people start putting down your decision that it becomes competitive. And this is what I believe she is writing about.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (19-06-2012),VicPark  (19-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Does anyone know why Mia is anti homebirth?? I would never do it myself and will never fathom anyone who is high risk doing it, but at the end of the day, if you are healthy etc then I can't see a problem with it.
    She believes they're dangerous, and that the Australian medical system is not set up for them.

ETA http://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/...ragic-reasons/
    Last edited by lambjam; 19-06-2012 at 09:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    She believes they're dangerous, and that the Australian medical system is not set up for them.

ETA http://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/...ragic-reasons/
    She is talking about freebirth, not homebirth with an independent midwife.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't realise being main****** precluded women from being feminists?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-06-2012),Guest654  (19-06-2012),hopefully2  (19-06-2012)

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    She is an deadset twit. Thats all there is too it really. Her stories aren't even worth arguing over, she does it all for shock value, and she gets it every time she does a ridiculous story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my goodness. She's not......'main******' is she? Heaven help us from this evil woman!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (19-06-2012),beebs  (19-06-2012),Guest654  (19-06-2012),hopefully2  (19-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    She is talking about freebirth, not homebirth with an independent midwife.
    She begins by referring to a previous article written about freebirth, but she goes in to speak generally about homebirths.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (19-06-2012)