Closed Thread
Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How your child comes into the world and your wedding day arent comparable in my opinion.

Mia stated her friend was a 'birthzilla' for having a placenta plan. Why is it unreasonable to be aware of choices for birthing the placenta? Why is it unreasonable to have that conversation with friends. A detailed birth plan doesnt make you a birthzilla, it makes you informed to make decisions which will impact on the rest of your and your babies lives.

Being informed to make decisions regarding every option for your birth, your baby and your body, is not comparable to picking centre pieces or a dress.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (18-06-2012),wrena  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Don't for a second believe that Mia Freedman is a champion of birth choices. She runs a hate campaign against Homebirth, and has written countless blog posts about how dangerous it is. She tells all about her fabulous epidurals. And to add she wrote awful things about the ABA.

She is an awful hateful person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post

Im pretty sure mia doesnt have a uterus, or a soul. And she definitely doesnt have a brain.

Whoa! So angry

Quote Originally Posted by samken View Post
    I've always felt sorry for women who have c-sections. Any operation (cutting of your protective skin) is open to major problems. That woman have to do it isn't their fault. It is usually for the health of the mother &/or baby.

I don't think you should feel sorry for them, lots of women chose to have c-secs. Even if they have c-sections they still have had their own amazing and powerful birth experiences. If my baby is birthed by c-section in 7 weeks I wouldn't want anyone to feel sorry for me.

Anyway surely it doesn't have to be this polemical? All she was saying is that she gets sick of some people who make others feel bad because of the way they choose to birth. I do too. She isn't saying don't have a homebirth, don't have a freebirth (although yes she has in previous articles), don't have a VBAC. All she is saying is that the way you give birth doesn't have to define you.

Thank god for that. Because otherwise I would be a LOT more nervous about what is going to happen to me in about 7 weeks.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Artful For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-06-2012),Guest654  (18-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (19-06-2012),TimTamsandTea  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I understand what Mia meant by the phrase "birthzilla." Some women are perfectionists, inflexible, worry-warts and/or control freaks. These qualities will raise their head in stressful situations such as getting married or having a baby.

(no, I don't think everyone with a birth plan is a birthzilla)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Whoa! So angry
    No not angry, i just think she is an ignorant fool. And for a self-proclaimed 'feminist' she really doesnt care much for women empowerment and choice. Her opinion doesnt impact on me in the slightest, but doesnt mean i have to like it either

ETA - April78, i lost a baby at 8 months.... I still very much care about my experience of birth, as well as having a live baby at the end of the process. I also happen to believe that being better informed, and/or having a better birthing experience *for you* is most likely to produce a positive outcome. I dont think her loss is an excuse for her stance on birth choices at all

Last edited by Super Trooper; 18-06-2012 at 19:22.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No not angry, i just think she is an ignorant fool. And for a self-proclaimed 'feminist' she really doesnt care much for women empowerment and choice. Her opinion doesnt impact on me in the slightest, but doesnt mean i have to like it either

"Despite the feelgood platitudes parrotted by home-birth champions, women in this country already enjoy a good deal of choice regarding where and how to deliver. And rightfully so.

But that should not extend to the right to give birth at home."

Quoted form one of her articles on homebirth here http://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/...spital-phobia/

Yeah she's really pro choice.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (18-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (18-06-2012),delirium  (18-06-2012),elleandsam  (18-06-2012),IndigoJ  (19-06-2012),SassyMummy  (18-06-2012),Super Trooper  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Eh? So many women have a go at women on here for having elective c/sections - how is that any different?

Next time it happens can I start calling people names and saying they are devoid of a uterus and soul. Cool!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-06-2012),TimTamsandTea  (19-06-2012),VicPark  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    A detailed birth plan doesnt make you a birthzilla, it makes you informed to make decisions which will impact on the rest of your and your babies lives.

i don't think things are black and white. A detailed birth plan could make you informed. It could make you a birthzilla. It could be a combination of the two. When under stress women aren't all mother Teresa's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Eh? So many women have a go at women on here for having elective c/sections - how is that any different?

Next time it happens can I start calling people names and saying they are devoid of a uterus and soul. Cool!
    Go for it... It will never be directed at me because I would never condemn another womans birth choices ever

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-06-2012),Benji  (18-06-2012),GuestMember  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    i don't think things are black and white. A detailed birth plan could make you informed. It could make you a birthzilla. It could be a combination of the two. When under stress women aren't all mother Teresa's.
    If we had a decent, supportive, truly family centred maternity system, alot of that stress could be alleviated. Women wouldnt have to 'fight' for the right to birth how they want. They wouldnt have to fight hospital policy. They wouldnt have to fight the individual beliefs of medical 'professionals.'

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (19-06-2012),Bubbles10  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Homebirthers don't go into this decision with the attitude of 'whatever happens happens' like many women do during a hospital birth (and I was one of those women) Homebirthers plan for every possible case scenario, they research and learn as much about birthing as possible, no one has a homebirth without knowing ALL the pros and cons and without knowing as much as possible about their particular circumstance. Ie. birthing a breech baby. How many midwives can say they've delivered a breech baby? How many midwives can say they know HOW to deliver a breech under xyz circumstance. A homebirther planning this will undergo alot research and decide on the best course of action and will employ a midwife who has experience if they're not freebirthing.
    I wasn't making a broad general statement about ALL midwives, but I was highlighting the fact that homebirthers aren't negligent or selfish and are very knowledgable in birthing a baby, and in an emergency they have a plan.
    Just by saying midwives came in to watch a natural labour makes me question how much they're learning about natural birth in todays hospital settings.
    I'm with Mia (not for home birthing) but I get your point that those who do are probably much more researched on the birthing process.