Closed Thread
Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But I despise it when people say "at least you got a healthy baby", "at least you are still alive" etc etc. I am just not seeing what you are all seeing in this article.

That kind of stuff makes my blood boil. It isn't ok, and I think it all comes down to voice, so many of us have had no voice in our births and a lot of the time it turns out badly. Which is why I really think that we all should have the right to any birth we feel comfortable with- Even if it is a c/section with no medical reason, even if it is a freebirth etc.

I'll have to sit down and read it again when my kids aren't bugging me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    That was lilyofthenile I was quoting!
    Thanks, it comes up with my name for some reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Thanks, it comes up with my name for some reason.
    whoops -sorry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's ridiculous to compare a woman in labour who has made responsible, informed (at least enough to even MAKE a birthplan) decisions about the treatment of her body and personal space during labour , to a woman who is screaming at someone because they've glued the wrong colour beads to her centrepieces! I sure hope this stupid, disrespectful, down-right nasty term of "Birthzilla" doesn't catch on. A truly tasteless term and badly written IMO.

I also feel sorry for the writer who considers men in general as uninformed, uncaring morons who don't give a hoot about a woman's birth choices. My husband has actively supported me through seven births with wonder and appreciation of every one. Like many (and probably most) women on here he wanted to know and participate in all decisions made and still now talks more about our birth experiences than I do! And I don't just mean seeing the baby pop out!

This writer makes birth experiences, whatever they are, seem insignificant - putting herself in the very same catagory as those she criticises and condemns for the choices THEY make.

Good on you all for having and sharing your birth stories - from homebirths to hospitals, c- sections to vaginal deliveries, doctors or doulas. They are inspiring, informative and unique. They are a part of who you are and contribute to your life stories and the birth stories of your precious children.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaesmummy For This Useful Post:

Benji  (18-06-2012),Bubbles10  (18-06-2012),delirium  (18-06-2012),MamaC  (18-06-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (18-06-2012),Piffle  (18-06-2012),wrena  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My brother is very upset that his baby was born the way he was. His wife is upset that she allowed doctors to take full control. My nephew was greatly affected by his birth and was a very unsettled baby who experienced pain for a long time. The doctors? Well, they got to keep to their schedule and earnt their money from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    Can you please explain your comment further because ATM this makes no sense to me at all.
    Sure! Although subsequent posters have pretty much cleared up what I meant.
    As an example, If a woman wants a natural birth and ends up with a traumatic birth OR a c/section (or both) it can lead to PND,Post natal phycosis, PTSD, anxiety disorders and the list goes on. All these problems, from mild to the extreme have the potential to affect how a mother parents her child. She may then feel like she has failed, she may feel like the system failed her or any number of problems may occur as a direct result of the birth. It may affect how she feeds her baby and how she bonds with her baby, or the strength of her bond with her baby. There are SO many subsequent effects of a negative birth experience. The way she parents is just one aspect of the cascade.

And I don't mean to disregard the father in all this either because they way HIS baby comes into the world generally DOES have an effect on how he parents his child/ren. If he is having to adopt the role of primary caregiver for his wife and child as a result of the mothers mental health (and physical) then this is bound to affect the entire family.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Sure! Although subsequent posters have pretty much cleared up what I meant.
    As an example, If a woman wants a natural birth and ends up with a traumatic birth OR a c/section (or both) it can lead to PND,Post natal phycosis, PTSD, anxiety disorders and the list goes on. All these problems, from mild to the extreme have the potential to affect how a mother parents her child. She may then feel like she has failed, she may feel like the system failed her or any number of problems may occur as a direct result of the birth. It may affect how she feeds her baby and how she bonds with her baby, or the strength of her bond with her baby. There are SO many subsequent effects of a negative birth experience. The way she parents is just one aspect of the cascade.

And I don't mean to disregard the father in all this either because they way HIS baby comes into the world generally DOES have an effect on how he parents his child/ren. If he is having to adopt the role of primary caregiver for his wife and child as a result of the mothers mental health (and physical) then this is bound to affect the entire family.
    Ahh okay yes that makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing it up for me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Roopee  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Birth should be celebrated not compared.

I see were where the article is coming from but it's poorly executed. I do give special kudos to ladies who after a traumatic birth go on to have a wonderful experience, like a lady in my birth group and it was celebrated never compared.

Sent from my LT15a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get what she is saying, but why is it acceptable for women to voice how traumatic their birth was, yet those who had a decent birth can't say anything or their 'bragging,' insensitive to those who had traumatic births etc? I had a brief birth plan and it went exactly how I wanted it to, why can't I be proud of that? Why do peoole assume I'm telling it because I'm smug and want others to feel bad? I don't thik my birth was better than anyones, but I'm supremely proud of how it turned out.

By the way, men DO care.. XDP raved about it for weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

diesal444  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    Ur first sentence ... Really a woman who has home birthed has more knowledge than a midwife? Not a gross generalization at all.
    I believe she said some midwives.... and i would have to agree!!! Two midwives i saw at my both prenatal visits both used "your best to discuss that with your doctor" problem was i was under midwife care and not the care of a doctor

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-06-2012)