Closed Thread
Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 621
  1. #141
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    1,150
    Thanked
    420
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    C Sec best choice for my man..me in labour ..not very nice!!

    also if anyone starts talking about birth ..labour..etc ..my eyes glaze over..

    It's a great experience to have a baby..thats all!!
    Sorry, did you say a c section wAs the best choice for your man? *Shakes head* what about whats best for you and your baby?

  2. #142
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Do you want to deliver the placenta in your own time, or do you want an injection to make it come out quicker. Some people prefer to wait for the cord to finish pulsating, others then prefer to wait for the cord to rot off, others prefer to chew it off rather than cut it... then some like to eat it.

    Mine is taken out during my c-section, then cut with scissors and put in a bucket to await burial.
    And some want cord blood storage

    (not me though, I wanted my babies to get their full quota of blood).

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    23
    Reviews
    0
    Ok so the lady bits comment didn't go down too well...

    Bit of background relevant to the article. I had a terrible birth experience with ds 1, perfect pregnancy, 1st pregnancy with no prior loss, was naturally apprehensive about the birth, dh didn't help, he has a very big head and assured me all members of his family did. Anyway I was progressing fine in the delivery room, but got to 9 cm after about 24 hours and nothing else happened. After 30 hours and many nice voice requests, I had to put on my evil lady voice and demand a CS. It was OK except that the epi didn't work and I could feel the whole thing. Final result was a healthy baby and a sore and disappointed, but generally happy new mum.

    FFwd 6 months down the track during a txting argument with my bish of a SIL and she pull the 'You will never know the joy of natural childbirth' insult. I didn't know it was a competition until then and I felt so hurt and like my sons birth was second rate because this woman who had 2 natural births decided to make it an argument piece. My reply to her was childish. It was along the lines of 'well at least my dh is still satisfied by my undamaged vagina.' Immature I know, but boy it felt good at the time. SO when I read the article the first thing that popped into my head was that response when I was attacked about the 'failure' of a birth experience I had with my first.

    Sorry if I offended anyone, and I'm not a troll, just new.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marie45 For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (18-06-2012),Sariele  (18-06-2012)

  5. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    190
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry if I offended anyone, and I'm not a troll, just new.[/QUOTE]

    Haha I guess we all got a little defensive about our lady bits hehe! Birth choices and experiences are so personal and topics will always get heated!!

  6. #145
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,245
    Thanks
    2,512
    Thanked
    1,249
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will be having a birth plan and I will want it followed as closely as possible. Personally I have to have a plan as it is my way of feeling have some control which is very important for my mental health. However if it was necessary at any time for the plan to be scrapped for my health or the health of the baby then so be it! The only thing that would upset me is if I had to have an epidural (not because I don't think it is needed!) because I have an extreme phobia of needles and I know how much it would distress me at the time and after.

  7. #146
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    547
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    268
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    How can someone seriously think other women should be doing the happy jig at THAT? Being the most vulnerable, legs spread, things going in and coming out, having no control, no say about what's happening and we should be happy to have countles people in white coats watching while you're lying down with bright lights over you......
    Even your pet would get more respect while it gives birth.
    Women don't matter, only the baby coming out matters, fu$ck it if you can't walk, talk, get depressed, can't sleep cause your traumatised that your body just got ripped apart. But oh you had a baby, yay!!!!!! Stop complaining and get over it, and don't bother trying to make the 2nd time better for yourself, no one will read your birth 'plan' you're not in control, feeling empowered doesn't exist YOU DON'T MATTER........

    If someone told me THAT before having my baby I'd slap her dead in the face.
    Seriously???? That is what you take from that comment? Not everyone feels shameful and undignified during labour ... I certainly didn't ... Vulnerable yes, but for me it was a joyful but mostly empowering experiences of my life.
    Most important to have a support person who will not only support you emotionally and physically but you can trust to advocate for you if necessary.
    I don't care if you had vb or cs and I hate the signatures water birth etc ... Who cares? I don't feel the need. To add a signature saying my dd was born in car why? How is it relevant?

  8. #147
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Oh for heaven's sake! She's not dismissing birth trauma, and she's not discounting birth choices.

    She's simply saying that you don't get to choose your birthing ideology like you might your preferred political party! That there's no us and them, no inferior and superior, that there will be no pop quiz and you're not going to get an HD in "life" for your birth preferences.

    I can see there are plenty of posters here with an axe to grind, but some of you are grinding it on the wrong article.
    I'm sorry, what am I mis reading here? I've re read it about 3 times now and still get the same message. She's wrong and un informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    I've had two babies vaginally ... I might possibly have a clue about hold birth??? ... I can't figure out why u would need a birthing plan for a placenta
    Did you have the injection when after you gave birth? Do you know why? Were you asked before you were given the injection? Did you cut the cord while it was still pulsating or when it stopped? Were you asked what you prefered?
    You have choices about these things and there are reasons people choose to do them and not to.

    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I actually found the fact she *didn't* mention birth trauma as a sign she's not seeing the whole picture. From the surface a woman may seem demanding and difficult. But when you add the dimension of trauma the penny drops so to speak.

    I guess the article resonated with some and not others *shrugs* theres no right or wrong answer as to how we each feel about it.
    She doesn't know what she's talking about, simple as that.

  9. #148
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks
    5,083
    Thanked
    1,220
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Who is Mia Freedman?

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (18-06-2012),Maybelline  (18-06-2012),share a book  (18-06-2012)

  11. #149
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    FFwd 6 months down the track during a txting argument with my bish of a SIL and she pull the 'You will never know the joy of natural childbirth' insult. I didn't know it was a competition until then and I felt so hurt and like my sons birth was second rate because this woman who had 2 natural births decided to make it an argument piece. My reply to her was childish. It was along the lines of 'well at least my dh is still satisfied by my undamaged vagina.' Immature I know, but boy it felt good at the time. SO when I read the article the first thing that popped into my head was that response when I was attacked about the 'failure' of a birth experience I had with my first.
    I understand this. When I realised that an elective caesarean was the best option for my first baby, I remember chatting to my ob about the positives. He said to me that he spent half his career encouraging women to birth vaginally, and the other half repairing the damage that this caused.

    To someone who is reconciling all kinds of conflicting emotions and coming to terms with their surgery and all its associated cons, this kind of pro can be something to hold onto. I'd be lying if I didn't feel grateful for my caesareans every time I read about women with permanent damage caused by child birth.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    marie45  (18-06-2012)

  13. #150
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post

    She doesn't know what she's talking about, simple as that.
    She has a different opinion to you so therefore doesn't know what she is talking about??

    I can see why some people are getting upset about the article, but I still see she isn't meaning it the way most are taking it, she means about the hoity toity up themselves mums who look down their nose at intervention births like you haven't really had a real birth experience if you had intervention, drugs, c/sections. Those mums do exist.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Eko  (18-06-2012),marie45  (18-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (18-06-2012),Sariele  (18-06-2012),TimTamsandTea  (19-06-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30-09-2012, 23:17
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 20:51
  3. To all you mothers who's babies sleep through the night
    By summastarlet in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 17-05-2012, 15:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
The MAMA Centre
Pregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal care by medicare eligible midwives & holistic health practitioners. Massage, chiro, naturopathy, yoga, counselling & beauty therapy
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!