+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Advice from teachers pls

My daughter is 7 and in grade 2...I've posted before about her teacher and the issues we had at the beginning of the year with the teacher..

Anyway, can anyone tell me what a child in grade 2 is expected to be able to do regarding maths, spelling etc..I know all kids are different and there is a big range in what some can and can't do, but generally what should a 7 year old be able to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry my DS is only in Prep so I can't help but hopefully a bump will.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

sunshinebub  (17-06-2012)

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is in grade two (Queensland) he is at reading level 28 (high for his class)
    Maths, he does addition & this term was focused on addition with 3 digit numbers.
    He knows some time tables, however that's more of his own doing from home than the school requirement.

Hope that helps, please feel free to ask me any more questions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mystical mumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sunshine that's a pretty hard question to answer and, like u said, it varies widely. You can check out your state's education standards online and they are not difficult to follow - they ate quite specific for the earlier years at school.

Please remember though that kids progress at different rates in different areas and that her development is not only reliant on her teacher ( though, to be honest, if she is not keeping up the teacher should be informing u and setting extra things for home as well as providing assistance in class/school as well).

The best advice I can give u is to look at yourself as a vital part in her education journey - regardless of her achievement level or her teacher's abilities. Read at home with her every single day. Count to 100 when u are in the car together, cook with her and get her to read the recipe etc.

But if u want to know specifics, check out the curriculum documents online

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Squishy115 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebub View Post
    My daughter is 7 and in grade 2...I've posted before about her teacher and the issues we had at the beginning of the year with the teacher..

Anyway, can anyone tell me what a child in grade 2 is expected to be able to do regarding maths, spelling etc..I know all kids are different and there is a big range in what some can and can't do, but generally what should a 7 year old be able to do?
    Hi sunshine bub! :-)

I'm a year 2 teacher in nsw and our end of year goals/expectations for year 2 (although as you said all children are different and some are higher/lower) are that they should be able to read (and comprehend) to a level 20, count to 1000 and recognise numerals to 1000, and to add and subtract without needing counters/visuals... Of course there are many more outcomes of learning but these are some general ones

Hope this helps!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gumnutbaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Have a look on google for Queensland English syllabus and maths syllabus to give you an idea

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone..I'll just explain why I want to know this. You see, my daughter had a good year in grade 1, good marks, great report cards and all was well. This year, she hasn't....at the beginning the teacher kind of took a dislike to my daughter and another "spirited" little girl....this teacher is very quite and shy, and it is easy to see she tends to gravitate towards the little girls who are quite, and do their work without talking and mucking around...things that my child sometimes does..because that's her personality.

Anyway, I had a meeting with the principal and the deputy and the teacher because the teacher wouldn't listen to my requests to move my daughter to a chair by herself so she could concentrate, as she was getting into trouble for talking etc..the teacher wouldn't listen to my requests and wouldn't give me any feedback, and I wasn't allowed to move my child to another class.

So we just let it go and as far as I knew, my daughter had settled down and was learning and things were okay.

I take my daughter into the classroom every morning and often ask hows shes going and the teacher doesn't give any negative feedback at all.

So we got her report card on Friday and it is really really bad. All C's and D'c, C for behaviour, really negative comments about her not listening, mucking around, bad behaviour and sound and below average achievements...I was so upset for my little girl, she started to cry when she saw it and said "mummy are you still proud of me"..

I can't believe if my daughter was falling so far behind and misbehaving so much, why the hell didn't this teacher give me feedback when I asked, the many times I did?

I'm basically writing this year off.....as she doesn't like my girl and the other girl I mentioned got a similiar report card....I'm going to do some extra work at home with her to help her....

I just feel so cranky and upset...sorry for the long story...x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok firstly as a teacher I must ask if your child is at a school with the new Australian curriculum? If so then a c is perfectly fine, in fact a c represents that your child is at grade level
    It's totally different to the c I had when I was at school and this new curriculum makes an a nearly impossible unless a child is gifted. Mind you it's still a new curriculum so us teachers are also learning!
    I've taught year 1/2 for 5 years and I always found a child who thrived in year 1 would 9/10 have the next year as a consolidation year - which is NOT something to worry about.
    As others have stated, check your schools policy and curriculum. My advice - to do things at home with her to support her learning. Don't try to extend her knowledge just yet, just try to re-affirm that what she's doing is right or correct her if it's not.
    All the best.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mammainwaiting For This Useful Post:

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are u in Queensland?

I know that with the new curriculum (sp?) they brought in this year, that many parents will notice a drop in grades. (teacher friend told me this)

Last year my son got a D for behaviour. He is not a naughty kid, never sent to the principals office, would never hurt a child. Isn't the kid that chucks tantrums and walks off mid class... He simply talks... Non stop!!

He doesn't see it as disruptive, as he can talk and still gets his work done first. He is a multi tasker.

Don't beat yourself up about it.
    Do you know what level she is reading at?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with mammainwaiting. I am a teacher, and the report grades are c for average/at year level, B is for working almost at a year above, and D is for limited understanding. Not bad.