+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What have you/will you do to make life easier?

I'm expecting bub #2 in 6 weeks, and have recently purchased an iRobot Roomba (auto vacuum cleaner) and just ordered a thermomix today (can't wait!).

I would also LOOOVE to get a cleaner, but will have to wait until I'm back at work for that one ($$)

Just wondering what others have or will be doing to help make their lives a bit easier with bubby on the way.

Am I just being lazy?! I have sooo much more appreciation for my mum who raised 3 kids, worked crazy hours in the family business and kept the house spick and span whilst putting a spread of 3-4 dishes on for dinner on a regular basis. I have no idea how she did it! (love you mum!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had #3 in November, I had a month's worth of meals frozen for my other 2, so I could heat up something in the microwave and they would be fed at a moments notice. And I had a meal plan (of sorts) for DH and I. Even just meat frozen in meal size quantities that DH could BBQ and we could chuck together a salad to have on the side.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love my Roomba! We got the carpets pulled up and floating floors installed. With the roomba, its just SO much cleaner. We also have a dog walker a couple of times a week, a dishwasher and I don't buy clothes that need ironing. I also buy lite n easy frozen meals for days when neither of us can be arsed to cook. Also, I spend sat or sun making a huge batch of pasta/casserole to eat and freeze for the rest of the week. We also have a soup day once a week. Sometimes I get groceries delivered.

Heck, all these shortcuts and our bub isn't even here yet. I'd love to hear other ideas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing, I honestly dont find it any harder having 2, I just think I have lowered my expectations of a spotlesd house and worked on spending time and creating memories for my daughters. The only thing that would be nice is a bigger washing machine, a 5kg doesnt cut it anymore

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    The only thing that would be nice is a bigger washing machine, a 5kg doesnt cut it anymore

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    Haha - I have a 7kg and it's still not big enough!

I would love to have a dog walker too Bongly, but my dogs are crazy stupid and pull like crazy. There is no way I can walk them with the kids, but I also feel bad unleashing that kind of craziness on anyone else.

Cindye - a meal plan is what I need! I saw someone posted a housework plan on facebook, and have saved that one to the computer, but I should work on a meal plan also. I hate trying to think of what to cook each night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got a friend to come once a fortnight to help out for a few hours, either cleaning or watching the kids or both. Made a massive difference.

Having an electric baby swing from when I had a newborn was also fantastic. I didn't get one til my ds was 4 or 5 months old and this time around it was a great place to pop my newborn during meals or when my arms just got plain tired!

I also get Aussie Farmers to deliver bread, milk, meat, etc once a week (they can deliver twice a week). This was great so that I didn't have to go out mid-week to buy fresh bread & milk, especially as my ds needed lunches for kinder! My dd is 8 months old now, but I make sure we get at least 2 meals a week either through Aussie Farmers or from Coles that can easily be put in the oven or in the microwave and they're done. No preparation, no fuss, just nice, healthy, yummy food. We have homemade frozen meals too, but tend to use them when just one adult is home.

Of course, plenty of baby clothes is great too. Means you don't need to wash baby clothes every single day which on top of everything else is extremely tiring for me. Doesn't matter if they are cheap 2nd hand clothes off ebay, but having something warm & clean to put bubs in when you've already done 5 outfit changes in one day is great! (gotta love newborns!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a huge stock of baby clothes, I formula fed and having enough bottles to last a day was a big help, I put nappies and wipes in almost every room so I wasn't having to leave kids to go get stuff.

I also have a cleaner, $60 a fortnight to make my life way easier, worth every dollar, she does the bathrooms, oven, windows, dusting and a big vacuum/mop every week (1.5 hours a week). They're jobs I found hard to do with the kids, I can do washing, vacuuming and general tidying with them around quite easily or quickly while they nap. It was cheaper (and better) than putting them in child care to get it done.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just started freezing meals to make the early days at home with a new bub and my older dd a little easier, so far I have lasagne, vege quiche,chicken pie, muffins and biscuits frozen but I have plans for shepards pie, apple and berry crumbles and apple pies. Oh and today I have made banana cake which I am hoping to freeze half in individual slices and white choc brownies, hopefully this will also save me from having to eat the hospital meals, I figure my meals are more nutritious and palatable then there awful excuse for food.

I would love a dish washer, it would be so helpful and a couple of months after bubs is born we are planning on moving to a bigger rental. I also have a slow cooker which I think will come in handy as for the house DH is just going to have to start doing his fair share for a little while.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to maple For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kymmie View Post
    Haha - I have a 7kg and it's still not big enough!

I would love to have a dog walker too Bongly, but my dogs are crazy stupid and pull like crazy. There is no way I can walk them with the kids, but I also feel bad unleashing that kind of craziness on anyone else.

Cindye - a meal plan is what I need! I saw someone posted a housework plan on facebook, and have saved that one to the computer, but I should work on a meal plan also. I hate trying to think of what to cook each night.
    Oh my dogs pull like crazy too, they are still young and on the way to the park are pulling the whole way with all their strength. Urgh. Still, I figure thats what I pay my dog walker to deal with When the baby is here its going to be tricky walking them with the pram. I'm hoping they will chill out and slow down as they get older.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Let us know how the vacuum cleaner works! I want one but I'd want to make sure it works well before I'd fork out the coin.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellymoe For This Useful Post:

kymmie  (17-06-2012)