+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hers&Hers View Post
    Hannahyl yes there is and they know where it is and its purpose. When i was young my gram used to make us go get it ourselves i suspect soon my kids will be doing that too. I truly never hit them in anger, its discplinary if i find myself angry at them i dont smack them.
    I find this disgusting and wouldn't hesitate to call the police if I knew you in person.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

jez  (18-06-2012),Lillynix  (18-06-2012),Lincolns mummy  (18-06-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    theres always research for anything I can even find you one in support of smacking. like I said my children are not abused I will discipline them as I see fit,
    I don't think you will find a research paper though that advocates smacking with a tree branch

Have you tried some gentler methods? I know some Hubbers will have some really good ideas on other approaches that work for them

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (18-06-2012),jez  (18-06-2012),ShanandBoc  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hers&Hers if you are so confident that smacking with a tree branch or a wooden spoon is perfectly okay go down to children's services and tell them that's how your disciplining your children.. because if it's perfectly okay than they'll say good on you and give you a thumbs up. You need help if you're smacking your child with a tree branch or a wooden spoon. I'm a smacker and I would NEVER use an item on my child to hit them especially a tree branch. I don't even know how you think that's okay?!?

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-06-2012),BaronessM  (19-06-2012),Bennos Mummy  (18-06-2012),Bonkers  (18-06-2012),Guest1234  (18-06-2012),jez  (18-06-2012),KillerHeels  (18-06-2012),Lillynix  (18-06-2012),Sindrii  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Hers&Hers if you are so confident that smacking with a tree branch or a wooden spoon is perfectly okay go down to children's services and tell them that's how your disciplining your children.. because if it's perfectly okay than they'll say good on you and give you a thumbs up. You need help if you're smacking your child with a tree branch or a wooden spoon. I'm a smacker and I would NEVER use an item on my child to hit them especially a tree branch. I don't even know how you think that's okay?!?
    She thinks it's okay because she was abused and assaulted in a similar way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM;

I believe through violence you can never 'teach' ~ you only teach avoidance of openess and hiding of negative actions. Many people hit because they don't have the words to explain themselves, or they think it's quicker or easier or the child won't understand if explained to. Kids often don't have the words to explain why they did something ~ like the PP who's parents weren't interested that PP went up the big slide to escape a german shepherd...

I think much of 'naughtiness' is boredom and testing the boundaries. It's impossible to teach compassion without showing compassion. Little people understand much more than we think. This is, of course, all IMhO.
    I completely agree with this and consider smacking to be an ineffective discipline tool. I personally think people resort to it either out of frustration or because they don't know what else to do.

I also don't personally consider there is a safe or acceptable line in terms of potential harm to a child and honestly think that it shouldn't be a legitimate or lawful option available to parents.
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 18-06-2012 at 09:27.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (19-06-2012),Guest1234  (18-06-2012),jez  (18-06-2012),Lillynix  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Theres a fine line between smacking a child amd beating them up. You just have to know your boundaries and know not to cross it.
    Now imagine if this was being said about a husband hitting his wife instead of a parent hitting their child.
    It's absurd that hitting a child is still legal.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-06-2012),beccacino  (18-06-2012),Guest1234  (18-06-2012),jez  (18-06-2012),Lillynix  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    I find that smacking works. The immediate pain affect of the smack works better that the possible future more serious incident. Then the threat of a smack elicits a memory of pain and is more effective again than explaining or reasoning with a toddler.

Once they understand that running in a car park can be dangerous then they can be reasoned with.
    Yes it is dangerous for kids to run in a car park but doesn't smacking them put the "danger focus" on smacks from parents and not the real danger which is moving cars? If they are at an age that reasoning with them isn't possible shouldn't they be restrained in a pram or carried or having their hand held? It isn't a childs job to look for moving cars or danger, it is ours. Their little brains aren't built for it yet anyway. It is dangerous to rely on smacking to keep your child safe in a carpark.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beccacino For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (19-06-2012),Guest1234  (18-06-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Now imagine if this was being said about a husband hitting his wife instead of a parent hitting their child.
    I find this reasoning ridiculous. Obviously everyone has different opinions but I really believe those opinions are based purely on ones perception of the word 'smack'.

Having said that, I don't agree with using an implement to 'smack' a child with - no wooden spoon etc and definitely no 'tree branch'.

And as for running in the car park, some kids simply slip your hand and run. I wonder if a harness would be a suitable method of 'restraint' or would that parent then be under fire for 'treating their child as a dog'???

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beccacino View Post
    Yes it is dangerous for kids to run in a car park but doesn't smacking them put the "danger focus" on smacks from parents and not the real danger which is moving cars? If they are at an age that reasoning with them isn't possible shouldn't they be restrained in a pram or carried or having their hand held? It isn't a childs job to look for moving cars or danger, it is ours. Their little brains aren't built for it yet anyway. It is dangerous to rely on smacking to keep your child safe in a carpark.
    I dont use a pram for going from the car to the store, I do hold his hand but he is quick and has escaped my hand before and yes I did smack him for it, with an open hand on the leg.

I don't rely on it and he has to hold me hand (I use a wrist strap now when walking to and from the car etc and hold his hand as if he does manage to slip he wont run far)

Eta he is 2 and doesn't 'get' the danger factor yet but he sure as hell gets if I run mum will smack my bum.

Lately if it is in a store etc.I've taken to squatting down and using a firm voice and saying simply 'no, running away (or what ever else it is) is NOT okay' as he is starting to understand that when I usr that voice he needs.to stop.,
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Last edited by GuestMember; 18-06-2012 at 10:02.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    I find this reasoning ridiculous. Obviously everyone has different opinions but I really believe those opinions are based purely on ones perception of the word 'smack'.

Having said that, I don't agree with using an implement to 'smack' a child with - no wooden spoon etc and definitely no 'tree branch'.

And as for running in the car park, some kids simply slip your hand and run. I wonder if a harness would be a suitable method of 'restraint' or would that parent then be under fire for 'treating their child as a dog'???
    Well whatever your definition is of smacking apply that in regards to your hubby's actions towards you. What would you think of that?