+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This thread has left me feeling physically ill.... Its brought back the fear and frustration of being smacked myself as a child, and the lack of understanding of why people who love you could treat you in a manor which hurts you. I have smacked my son in pure frustration however sought help and counselling and will always have to live with that regret... To those who say they were smacked but it never hurt them, i would have to wonder what underlying issues it may have caused. I know for myself i have continued relationships where a partner has caused hurt because i was taught at an early age that is how people who love you treat you

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (18-06-2012),Guest1234  (18-06-2012),heeeeerekittykitty  (18-06-2012),jez  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Theres a fine line between smacking a child amd beating them up. You just have to know your boundaries and know not to cross it. Most people when talking about smacking they imagine an angry parent realising their full force on a child but that is not what its all about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    This is where I get confused! So if your child hits someone they get punished ( time out etc) but it's ok for you to hit them - surely that has to mess with a small child's head?

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Boost  (18-06-2012),Brandnewbeginnings  (18-06-2012),jez  (18-06-2012),Lillynix  (18-06-2012),Lincolns mummy  (18-06-2012),ShanandBoc  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It didnt mess with my head.I was smacked not abused, i have really appreciated the way my gran raised me, it taught me a lot of things and her smcking me really did not have any negative impact on me, i just really learned that doing the wrong thing on purpose will always attaract consequences because that was really all the times i was ever smacked when i purposely do something wrong. We talked before and after the smack she never just attacked me without knowing why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm glad it didn't effect you but every child will deal with things differently , I suppose as I was never hit , it's hard for me to understand plus the thought of hurting my 19 month old son is foreign to me, I plan on teaching him right from wrong without the use of force, just like my parents did , I see parents smacking their toddlers for hitting other kids in the play ground all the time and I just don't get it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hers&Hers View Post
    I was smacked and i really dont despice it, usually with a tree branch. It never embarassed or huniliated me because it was never in public or with an audience, i was smacked till about 13. My kids get smacked with a wooden spoon for DD and sometines tree branch for DS, it works i have never smacked them more than two occasions for doing the same incident, they always know its coming i tell them no a certain amount of time and then it comes. When i will stop will depend on them.
    I rarely comment on other peoples parenting and try hard not to judge BUT as an advocate for the rights of children I couldn't just read this and not speak up because I believe not speaking up for our society's children is the same as condoning the behavior. Our children cannot stand up for their rights so we must do it for them.
    Does it really not bother you that you are choosing to punish your child in a way that has been made against the law? Theses laws were written because as a society we have decided that children have rights and IT IS NOT OK TO ABUSE THEM!
    Do you actually know how children develop emotionally and the sort of impact this can have on the adults they become ? I implore you to undertake some child studies or at the least parenting courses that explain why his is not ok and what impact it has been proven to have.
    It sickens me that there are people that still think it is ok to abuse the power entrusted to them to help raise another life. our children are young and vulnerable and need to be educated not punished. By telling them why they should or should not do something then you are educating them about the behavior already so there is NEVER any reason to use a weapon on a child. By justifying your actions you are only teaching your children that it is ok to use weapons as long as in their mind they can give a reason for it even if it's illegal. this is the same as your child becoming a teen and using a weapon on another person who acted in a way they did not like. this is the lesson you are indirectly teaching your children.
    PLEASE STOP! Do some research and open your eyes to the numerous child studies undertaken over the last decade. What your doing is not ok, illegal and a complete breach of the rights of children.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-06-2012),BaronessM  (18-06-2012),Guest1234  (18-06-2012),Lincolns mummy  (18-06-2012),MaybeBabyNo2  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Theres a fine line between smacking a child amd beating them up. You just have to know your boundaries and know not to cross it. Most people when talking about smacking they imagine an angry parent realising their full force on a child but that is not what its all about.
    But breaking the law to use your type of punishment ( I refuse to call it discipline because it not) is not crossing your boundaries? A law that was made based on research on the effects this type of punishment has on our children, the adults they will become an therefore our society as a whole. How can you not see anything wrong with what you are saying and doing? I'M just gobsmacked and sickened.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL smacked DS when she was babysitting the other night and she smacked our new puppy as well. We don't smack either so I wasn't impressed.

My parents stopped smacking me when I was a 'young adult' about 13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was smacked and i really dont despice it, usually with a tree branch. It never embarassed or huniliated me because it was never in public or with an audience, i was smacked till about 13. My kids get smacked with a wooden spoon for DD and sometines tree branch for DS, it works i have never smacked them more than two occasions for doing the same incident, they always know its coming i tell them no a certain amount of time and then it comes. When i will stop will depend on them.
    wow this is disgraceful!! your abusing your children. i would also report you! totally not ok at all. when you say it depends on them when you stop do you mean when they hit you back or report you themselves or when they need therapy because of your abuse?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

jez  (18-06-2012),Lincolns mummy  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    theres a difference between disciplining and abusing. im not abusing my children nor was I abused. just because others are against smacking does not make it the ultimate wrong. Im not ignorant or uneducated, theres always research for anything I can even find you one in support of smacking. like I said my children are not abused I will discipline them as I see fit, if it doesnt work I try something else. I dont spend all day beating them up I have only smacked a couple of times, if it works I stick with it.