+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 235
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,038
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked
    165
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am neither for or against smacking, but just wanted to add that I think the argument "What is the difference between smacking children, and the smacking of wives that happened 50 years ago" is invalid. Children need discipline to grow and thrive. Wives dont.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blueberry Crumble For This Useful Post:

    Blessedwith3boys  (19-06-2012),HugsBunny  (19-06-2012),Piffle  (19-06-2012)

  3. #182
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,057
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry Crumble View Post
    I am neither for or against smacking, but just wanted to add that I think the argument "What is the difference between smacking children, and the smacking of wives that happened 50 years ago" is invalid. Children need discipline to grow and thrive. Wives dont.
    50 years ago people said wives needed disciplining too.

    I think you'll find in 50 years time children will start being valued as people and the physical assault of them people call 'discipline' will also be abhorrent.

    The shift is already happening, Australia just needs to catch up.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (19-06-2012),meljemillie  (19-06-2012),wrena  (19-06-2012)

  5. #183
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,706
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,687
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry Crumble View Post
    I am neither for or against smacking, but just wanted to add that I think the argument "What is the difference between smacking children, and the smacking of wives that happened 50 years ago" is invalid. Children need discipline to grow and thrive. Wives dont.
    Discipline yes. But If a parent thinks hitting is appropriate, or the only way of disciplining their child they need to take parenting classes.

  6. #184
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry Crumble View Post
    I am neither for or against smacking, but just wanted to add that I think the argument "What is the difference between smacking children, and the smacking of wives that happened 50 years ago" is invalid. Children need discipline to grow and thrive. Wives dont.
    The comparison is valid. The global initiative to end corporal punishment refers to government papers where the link is directly made between domestic violence and smacking children.

    Sorry but the links are made by human rights activists, government activists, pedaitricians etc.

    Ulysses thanks so much for taking the time to post. While I don't smack I'm not a perfect parent and your post encourages me to keep challenging the way I parent.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    Ulysses  (19-06-2012)

  8. #185
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    50 years ago people said wives needed disciplining too.

    I think you'll find in 50 years time children will start being valued as people and the physical assault of them people call 'discipline' will also be abhorrent.

    The shift is already happening, Australia just needs to catch up.
    Agree. By the time our kids are parents they'll find it ridiculous that smacking was legal "in our day"

  9. #186
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,733
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked
    473
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't have time to read the whole thread, but I know that my mum stopped smacking my brother when she did it once (I think he was around 13 or so?) and his reaction was just to laugh at her, lol.

    We were both smacked very occasionally as kids, but I don't have a problem with it at all. It was never done to hurt us, and was quite effective in keeping us in line TBH. We were both very well behaved and well adjusted kids.

    It's interesting: If you have a look at nature, other mammals such as bears and big cats take a swipe at their young when they step out of line. It's a natural reaction, as long as it isn't hurting them.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sariele For This Useful Post:

    Blessedwith3boys  (19-06-2012),Renesme  (19-06-2012)

  11. #187
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,512
    Thanks
    432
    Thanked
    3,239
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about the fact that smacking is a dicipline involving a humans rights to bodilly autonomy, or the lack thereof?? I would definitely not take it kindly if my employer opted to smack me as a diciplinary action for not doing my job correctly, or "misbehaving" in the work place. They are in a position of power over me, just as parents are in a position of power over their children.

    If your children are old enough to say "Don't smack me", do you stop then? If so, what about beforehand, when your children are too young to speak? If your children say "Don't smack me" and you do it regardless, what does that teach them about the rights they have over their own body? If they say "Stop" someone doesn't have to listen, based purely on the fact that they're bigger, stronger and have more power over them?
    Because, when it comes down to it, parents smack because they are ABLE to smack. They're bigger, stronger and in a position of power over their children. If smacking was an accepted punishment, then people who smack their children would also smack other peoples children, wouldn't they? If they truly thought smacking was okay, and should be an acceptable punishment, wouldn't they also smack other peoples kids? No, they wouldn't, because they don't hold that position of power over another persons children. Only their own.

    For the people who believe that they should stop smacking when their children reach an age where they can be explained to/reasoned with, how does that work? Human brains don't stop "ageing" exactly until humans are in their mid-twenties, so should you continue to punish your children until they are actually old enough to make informed decisions based on things? No? Why? Because your kids suddenly aren't kids anymore, they turn into grown ups who have the power to hit you back. If you think that smacking is an appropriate punishment, try smacking your husband when your husband does some kind of dumb-**** thing that they inevitably do. Infact, tell him that it is TOTALLY appropriate for him to smack you if you do something he finds inappropriate/dangerous/silly.

  12. #188
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    637
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find it very interesting that you say smacking wasn't intended to hurt you. Did it not hurt? And if not, how on earth was it effective to make you stop doing what you were doing?

    When I think of smacking my 16 month old for touching power points, I shudder in horror. The thought of her tears and the look of pain and betrayal in her eyes would kill me

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

    BaronessM  (20-06-2012),trishalishous  (19-06-2012),Ulysses  (19-06-2012),wrena  (19-06-2012)

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I find it very interesting that you say smacking wasn't intended to hurt you. Did it not hurt? And if not, how on earth was it effective to make you stop doing what you were doing?

    When I think of smacking my 16 month old for touching power points, I shudder in horror. The thought of her tears and the look of pain and betrayal in her eyes would kill me

    I can't understand why people would smack a child under 3. I really don't get it. And no, I remember every time I was smacked, I do not remember it being painful, but I do remember thinking "yep I totally deserved that!"

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

    SassyMummy  (19-06-2012)

  16. #190
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,733
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked
    473
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I find it very interesting that you say smacking wasn't intended to hurt you. Did it not hurt? And if not, how on earth was it effective to make you stop doing what you were doing?
    No, it didn't really hurt at all. It more shocked me into realising that I'd done something to seriously upset, anger or disappoint my mum, and it was the realisation of this that made me cry afterwards, not any pain associated with the act itself. I loved and respected my parents (still do!) and I hated that something I'd done could make mum feel like that. There was only one time I can remember where I really didn't deserve it, but I just tease Mum about it now!

    Every smack that I can remember (which is barely any TBH) was resolved with me calming down, apologising for whatever I'd done, then cuddles afterwards.

    When I think of smacking my 16 month old for touching power points, I shudder in horror. The thought of her tears and the look of pain and betrayal in her eyes would kill me
    She wouldn't do it again though, would she? Sorry, just being a meanie. That young they wouldn't understand, so it wouldn't be right at all. But sometimes it's just instinctive (see my post above).


 

Similar Threads

  1. Smacking
    By october in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-08-2012, 07:05
  2. Smacking
    By Jarylee in forum General Chat
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 21:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!