+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    wow. Just…… wow.

Not interested in debating as I don't care about anyone else's opinion ON HERE.

Good grief.
    Fine nothing I say from now on is intended for you ok. And please don't call me rude and I'll save my opinions of what you say.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Fine nothing I say from now on is intended for you ok. And please don't call me rude and I'll save my opinions of what you say.
    Perhaps you should see my edit in a previous post.

And yeah no worries, feel free to belittle everyone else because I'm out of here.
    Last edited by HugsBunny; 18-06-2012 at 18:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think in some cases, smacking can be abusive... but to say all smacking is abuse is nonsense IMO. If that were the case, many of us would the be the children of abusers and would feel like victims of abuse.

I can say that my parents certainly made mistakes and did things I wouldn't, but I would never, ever consider them to be abusers for smacking me. It never felt like abuse.

The one time it came close was when I was smacked with a belt. It happened once. I suspect my mother felt uncomfortable with it and told my father "never again," and that was it. That was a once-off incident never to be repeated, and THAT was possibly abusive... but their general smacking was not. I never feared it as you would fear abuse... I was never terrified. I feared it in the same way I feared not being able to watch TV or having to go to bed early.

ETA - just clarifying that I'm not really a smacker either. I haven't smacked in years, and even when I did, it was something I rarely did, so this is not from the viewpoint of someone who is defending their own smacking.
    I haven't smacked for ages either, and rarely did before, and it was between the ages of 3 to 6, worked out maybe once a year in that time, and never hard, always for safety only. Yet I feel still like there is a need to defend that.

To a PP: This thread was asking where the line is for those who smack. Of course anyone who ever has will give their opinion on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    Shock value.
    I think it is also a circuit breaker for some kids when nothing else seems to be working.

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    Shock value.
    You must hit them pretty hard for the shock value to work? Wouldn't clapping loud or banging a book on the table have the same effect? Or even a very loud "Aggh"

The whole shock argument sounds a bit far fetched. You can do a heap of other things to shock a child into not doing something before having to lay a hand on them and have the same outcome.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuchsia! For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin13 View Post
    Agree with this. If children are too young to be reasoned with then you remove the danger. Toddlers don't understand consequences which is why they put themselves into dangerous situations. If we remove or minimise the threat then there is no need to punish. We have a fire and when my son was young enough to not understand the danger of it being hot we had a guard up to protect him. Now at 18 months, he is old enough to understand hot and will not go near it. We have not had to punish him for him to understand that.
    What? Parents taking responsibility, how absurd!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

jez  (18-06-2012),Lincolns mummy  (18-06-2012),River Song  (18-06-2012),ShanandBoc  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do not smack and i never ever will. To me its abuse. Whether its a 'tap' or what ever you want to call it you are still striking your child, the person who you are meant to be protecting you are hitting and trying to control.

How about we take a lesson from what we try to teach our children. Keep your hands to yourselves!!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchsia! View Post
    You must hit them pretty hard for the shock value to work? Wouldn't clapping loud or banging a book on the table have the same effect? Or even a very loud "Aggh"

The whole shock argument sounds a bit far fetched. You can do a heap of other things to shock a child into not doing something before having to lay a hand on them and have the same outcome.
    No, clapping loudly, banging a book or shouting would terrify my child. That would be cruel and not teach her anything. A soft tap on the hand or bottom was far, far, far nicer than your suggestions which have a lasting affect on her. I would not do that, not ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I have one question for those posters who see smacking as acceptable and still smack (ie not those who have in the past but whirl heir kids have now grown older).

If the states and territories of Australia outlawed smacking in line with what has happened overseas (so any form of hitting a child is illegal) would you obey the law? You don't have to answer you can ignore me but I am really interested. If you do feel very strongly that what you are doing is right and works for your family, how would you react if suddenly it became illegal?

I'm not trying to bait I am genuinely interested in how people would feel about this and whther they would change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just have to say im sorry to anyone who has suffered abuse from their parents. And thanks to anyome who has shown concern for me and my experience i have done a lot of thinking and reading amd i just have to say, i was not abused, i have never suffered any psychological damage from being smacked hell ive never even had a bruise from it, so i guess im one of the few who smacking was not abuse to them. Unlike many other i can tell you a reason for every single time i got smacked which wasnt many times at all, and as for me and my gran being the only person who has ever smacked me she is the closest person to me and i love her the way i should love mom, i never feared her not then and not now. There really is a huge difference between abuse and smacking but being from different backgrounds and experiences its one thing we will always disagree on. On last note the law isnt always right.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hers&Hers For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (19-06-2012),halloweendee  (19-06-2012)