+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchsia! View Post
    Smacking is purely lazy parenting, and you can throw all the excuses my way, i have heard them all. I have been there and done that. There is ALWAYS another choice.
    Haha yeah ok, I won't throw any excuses your way cos they're my kids, I am not a lazy parent and if you had bothered to read any other pp's you would see that not many of us have said we smack first.

If you fancy yourself as the Aussie Jo frost then maybe you can take your qualifications and knowledge an write a book :-) I'd love to read it!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (18-06-2012)

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Argh Jo Frost *vomit* she would be the last person i took parenting advice from.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuchsia! For This Useful Post:

wrena  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Argh Jo Frost *vomit* she would be the last person i took parenting advice from.
    It's just 'unasseptable'.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-06-2012),Benji  (18-06-2012),Fuchsia!  (18-06-2012),HugsBunny  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hers&Hers View Post
    I was smacked and i really dont despice it, usually with a tree branch. It never embarassed or huniliated me because it was never in public or with an audience, i was smacked till about 13. My kids get smacked with a wooden spoon for DD and sometines tree branch for DS, it works i have never smacked them more than two occasions for doing the same incident, they always know its coming i tell them no a certain amount of time and then it comes. When i will stop will depend on them.
    I'm going to say this. You will probably ignore it. But thats abuse. You are assaulting your children with a weapon. You might think your "okay" after being abused but your are continuing the cycle of physically assaulting your children with a weapon. There is a line - it's blurry in some contexts - but the law is clear on striking children with a tree branch. As a childcarer, if your children were in my care, I wouldnt just be morally obliged to report you - I would be in trouble myself if I didn't.

You need help.

Sorry.

And I empathise with the fact you were physically abused yourself and I really hope you get that that's not normal. Its not okay. Nobody ever had the right to hurt you either. I am sorry. Please get help for your childrens sake.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 18-06-2012 at 17:02.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-06-2012),Guest1234  (18-06-2012),Lillynix  (18-06-2012),MissMuppet  (19-06-2012),River Song  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I havent read the thread, im just going to answer the OP...

I have no idea where a 'line' would be... I think i was about 5yo last time i was smacked, and it would only ever be the once, i dont resent my parents for it at all. 'smacking was then used as a threat until i was 7 or 8 maybe? But never actually got smacked, the threat was enough.

As for DD, well i havent smacked her yet, and she is almost 5yo. I never imagined myself smacking after about 5yo regardless, i guess because i never was. So i dont see myself ever needing to smack now, she is old enough to reason with, and has been for a while now, so it has never been needed.

But, never say never, i may end up with a strong willed child next time who wont listen to reason. I like to think i have a stronger will and would always discipline with other means, but you never really know until your put in that position. And in the case i ever felt smacking was needed, well i guess over about 6yo would be too old for me. And under 2yo is definitely too young. Toddlers dont know what they are doing wrong in the first place!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Here's a thought, how about people just don't smack at all? There is no line, there shouldn't be line. It should be illegal. Its abuse, plain and simple.

And if you really want to sugar coat it and say "oh we do it responsibly and safe" then you are kidding yourself. There is no safe or appropriate way of smacking a child. Open, shut, soft, hard, on the bum on the leg. Its all abuse and if it were on anyone else other than a child it would be classed as assault.

Its completely illogical to use violence on a child to "teach" them a lesson.

Smacking is purely lazy parenting, and you can throw all the excuses my way, i have heard them all. I have been there and done that. There is ALWAYS another choice.
    Oh whatever, that's your opinion. People have many different parenting methods and just because you are against smacking doesn't make it wrong. I don't think anyone has said they just go and smack before trying other methods first, it's usually a last resort and there is a difference between a smack and abuse.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have smacked, out of severe sleep deprived frustration ...

I regret every time I did it ... I can't take it back ...

It was also the only thing I knew how to do, I had been smacked, and I didn't know how to parent differently ...

I've learnt different coping mechanisms and will never smack again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Oh whatever, that's your opinion. People have many different parenting methods and just because you are against smacking doesn't make it wrong. I don't think anyone has said they just go and smack before trying other methods first, it's usually a last resort and there is a difference between a smack and abuse.
    Except there are about 33 countries who also also agree that smacking is wrong. Not just one person's opinion at all really.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (19-06-2012),trishalishous  (19-06-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Except there are about 33 countries who also also agree that smacking is wrong. Not just one person's opinion at all really.
    It'd be interesting to see if there's an actual definition of a 'smack' in these countries. Do you have any links?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    It'd be interesting to see if there's an actual definition of a 'smack' in these countries. Do you have any links?
    It's the definition of corporal punishment.

http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org...ib_states.html

The interesting line is:

The notion of a permissible line of corporal punishment was thus best avoided.