+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Smacking - where's the line?

I was talking to a friend today, and we were discussing out upbringings. She was never smacked, I was. I then got into talking about something that I constantly wonder, and she then also started wondering the same thing.

If you smack, where is the line? At what point do you stop smacking, ever? (Is it a certain age, for example?) And why is that your 'line'?

Let's try keep this respectful - we can debate, but I'd really like for this to remain open if possible.
    Last edited by Guest1234; 17-06-2012 at 20:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought it was quite simple. A smack with an open hand on the child's buttocks, hard enough to only cause a small sting. Just one.
    Last edited by Blueberry Crumble; 17-06-2012 at 20:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A tap on the hand or butt with an open hand that leaves no mark. Never done in anger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Very interesting. I was smacked and from what I remember it was only ever once.

Definitely don't intend on doing it myself (it was pretty ineffective on me and made me more defiant and I also just resented my parents for doing it)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyLoaf For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Noooo, I mean at what age? Like, what makes you stop smacking, ever? Is it a particular age, for example?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooh lol, I guess around 6 when they can be better reasoned with and understand why to do things or not to do things. And I think under 3 is too young. That's how I feel anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that you haveto be the judge of that yourself, when the time comes I guess you will feel when they are too old.

As a child of the 80s I was smacked (more than one in a row, with relative force) up till I was around 15!!! Way too old lol!!

It gets worse the further back in generations you go. My mum used to get hit with a frying pan cord

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last time I got smacked, i was nearly 18. I got smacked with branches/sticks off trees with the leaves stripped, with the handle of a fly swat - the plastic bit, wooden spoon, wooden back scratcher which snapped off me, the rubber thong, hand, a broom stick, a leather belt with the buckle turned onto us or we'd get our palms whipped with a plastic stick. I don't know what on earth my parents line was supposed to be , but we always got told, the more you scream the more you're gonna get. As for my own kids, only a small smack with my hand on their bum..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum gave up at around 11? when the wooden spoon broke and we all fell about laughing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    Last time I got smacked, i was nearly 18. I got smacked with branches/sticks off trees with the leaves stripped, with the handle of a fly swat - the plastic bit, wooden spoon, wooden back scratcher which snapped off me, the rubber thong, hand, a broom stick, a leather belt with the buckle turned onto us or we'd get our palms whipped with a plastic stick. I don't know what on earth my parents line was supposed to be , but we always got told, the more you scream the more you're gonna get. As for my own kids, only a small smack with my hand on their bum..
    Oh hugs... Your post just gave me the strongest most violent nausea remembering being smacked... The phrase stop crying or ill give you something to cry about was thrown in for us too.. Needless to say, no smacking for this family...