+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Never for us.My kids sleepwalk and talk,and get up at all hours.The exact reason I have a baby gate at top of my stairs for years to come...
    Heck my 3yo still falls out of my bed sometimes!!
    I just wouldnt take the risk of bunks..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I haven't read all the posts but my DSS has been sleeping on the top bunk for almost 12 months, he's 5. But he never had to get up in the middle of the night, we didn't have the ladder connected so he couldn't climb up and down at his own will

3. The Following User Says Thank You to InvisibleWoman For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I must admit I will never put my children in a top bunk (despite loving sleeping in bunks as a kid). Luckily we have enough space that it's not a big deal for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KyzaV View Post
    Hi, I haven't read all the posts but my DSS has been sleeping on the top bunk for almost 12 months, he's 5. But he never had to get up in the middle of the night, we didn't have the ladder connected so he couldn't climb up and down at his own will
    You don't have a ladder? Seems MORE dangerous to me. How does he get down if he HAS to? E.g. sick, needs to go to loo, bad nightmare?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

austmum  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Never. Apparently more kids end up jn hospital from falling out of bunk beds then any other reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had bunks in our old place due to space. I would never do them again unless I really didn't have a choice. Our twins were 5yrs when we bought the bunks. Originally DD1 was going to sleep in the top bunk but she didn't want to as she didn't like the height.

No accidents or anything though. It's just that the top bunk is a pain to make and I would get calls during the night to fix the blankets and quilt. I couldn't reach though and needed to get the step ladder out to do it. For that reason their room often looking untidy with an unmade bed a lot. Oh, and the one on the bottom has been hit with a doll etc falling down during the night.

And the biggest problem we had was when DD2 was sleeping on top and got a vomiting bug. Yuck! It was hard enough trying to get her down while not getting all the mess all over DD3 asleep on the bottom (plus she vomited again on the way down). Then when we got her cleaned up we had to get her bed cleaned up!

I love their single beds. No dramas tucking them back in during the night. Easy to check on them when they are sick. And quick and easy to make of a morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Looking at getting bunk beds for DS 5 and DD 2 but it will be something along these lines:

http://www.bunkers.com.au/vic/lo_line/lc2

These particular bunks seem very sturdy, can't even imagine how DS could fall out and even low enough that I could still kiss him goodnight and pull blankets up over him if necessary. I think in considering the recommendations you need to take each individual child and each bunk bed (height, quality, ladder and rail design) into consideration. Also important to use the correct thickness of mattress. The bunks you already have I would probably be a "no" but I'd be happy to get this style for DS (although I assume you don't really want to go bed shopping!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was about 5yo I think. No problems, no falls.

The "never in this house" thing will never work with us, or many others; I simply don't have room in my house for 3 single beds (hence bunks and a single), and unless someone wants to help me pay the extra couple of hundred dollars a week I would need for another bedroom, then hounding people about how bunks are soooooo dangerous isn't going to help. Most people use bunks due to lack of space reasons.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a futon bunk in the spare room and my mum recently stayed. My nearly 9yo slept on the bunk for 2 of the nights. It has raised edges and the ladder is at the end, not the side so I was ok with it. Not younger though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    You don't have a ladder? Seems MORE dangerous to me. How does he get down if he HAS to? E.g. sick, needs to go to loo, bad nightmare?
    He put the baby monitor back in his room and get up to him if ever he needed, and his bunks have sides the whole way around so I found it safer than having him get down without a light on
    Last edited by InvisibleWoman; 17-06-2012 at 22:34.