+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i have just allowed DS to sleep in the top bunk...he is 8.

It does somewhat depend on the child, but, there is so much to take into consideration and all it takes is one "silly moment" and they can be seriously hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    What about loft style bunk beds? The top bunk is lower than a normal bunk (I think around 180cm high) and the bottom bunk at normal height. They are configured as a corner unit generally so the person on the bottom doesnt feel about to be suffocated. If you google them you will see what I mean.
    That's the sort I fell out of!

We actually already have bunk beds. Beds that can be separate or can be bunks. I'm not sure what I was thinking when we bought them in the first place, because I hate bunk beds.

The thing that concerns me about DS1 is not him falling out (which is what DH thinks I"m worried about) but he can't use the sheets and blankets properly - we have to go in and fix them up at least once every night - and I don't want to see them hanging over the bed and him falling out because of the sheets. If that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Isn't it 'funny' that the adage 'each to their own' gets trotted out when people choose to go against the recommendations of experts - learned, educated people who actually have no emotional investment in your family but have studied things like bunks and make a recommendation for good reason.

The recommendations are there for good reason....

http://www.productsafety.gov.au/cont.../itemId/974795
    Not really funny at all no. My cousin was very badly injured falling out of a bunk at around 5. Scary.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

They are recommendations though, not laws.. recommendations are there to provide information so people can know and understand the risks and base their personal decisions upon them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

themissingpiece  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Accordingly to DD's "loft" style bunk bed (with a desk underneath) it's age 12.

DD is not quite 7.

There have been absolutely no accidents on it... but she only ever fell out of her bed once as a toddler too. It has railings so she couldn't fall out anyway, more like "fall down," the ladder part. But all has been well.

We got it simply to give her more room - it has a few cupboards and a desk under it so it saves room... giving her more floor space for play.

TBH, I think the recommendations are there for a reason, but individual children need to be taken into consideration. DD would be fine in a top bunk, I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know of at least six children under 5 who sleep on the top bunk they simply have a railing so I guess it's up to the individual

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isn't it 'funny' that the adage 'each to their own' gets trotted out when people choose to go against the recommendations of experts - learned, educated people who actually have no emotional investment in your family but have studied things like bunks and make a recommendation for good reason.

Ouch!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mac View Post
    That's the sort I fell out of!

We actually already have bunk beds. Beds that can be separate or can be bunks. I'm not sure what I was thinking when we bought them in the first place, because I hate bunk beds.

The thing that concerns me about DS1 is not him falling out (which is what DH thinks I"m worried about) but he can't use the sheets and blankets properly - we have to go in and fix them up at least once every night - and I don't want to see them hanging over the bed and him falling out because of the sheets. If that makes sense.
    Oh right, well there goes my suggestion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son still has a scar from when mil put him at 6 years old on a top bunk with no rails. He got a decent cut (glued) and a slight concussion. Thats where the 'your paranoid he will be right attitude gets you!'

I think around 8 as long as he isn't small for his age and always with safety bars. Bunks are great when used correctly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My DS was in a loft style bed at 4 years. We lived in a one bedroom house.... he need somewhere to sleep so i put his bed up and over mine.
    There were never any issues.