+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ten pin bowling. There are kids leagues at every centre and it's the perfect activity for kids with special needs or any kid that's not into contact sports. Great confidence builder and fun for the family to help him practice!

If he really wants to skip the sport thing, what about activities like art classes, music lessons, chess club or scouts/boys brigade?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My guy only wants to do things where no one is relying on him, i.e no team sports.

He did little athletics last year which was good, he just concentrated on improving his personal best.

He has also shown interest in tennis, and golf. But we dont have the money for it unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a local RSPCA or animal shelter?
    When I was younger they had a junior volunteer program where you fed ad played with the cats and walked the dogs.
    There was an element of teamwork but it was mostly about love of animals. If he's into animals, it might be an idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My df has a mild form and said try tennis, it is not over the top team related and yet there is still communication with others
    He said he use to also like bmx bike riding and roller blading things he could do alone.

Iv found since we got dogs he spends a lot of time with them at off leash dog parks he seems to enjoy that a lot,

Hope any of them may help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter does music too, she mostly plays the acoustic guitar but she also plays the electric guitar and drums. She turns 9 soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas there!

I would like him to try tennis, I think he might like that. Also karate I think he would like, I don't think I've ever asked him about that so will suggest that too. XH rang this morning and said he presented the scouts idea to him and apparantly he was keen. One of his kind-of-friends does it too, so it would be great if they could do it together to strengthen that friendship as well.

He's not interested in dance but is also pretty unco and as I said, no body strength, so anything requiring sportyness is probably not going to work!

Instruments I think he would be good at but they're just too expensive for my budget.

Thanks for all the other ideas too, I'll definitely keep them in mind!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Something to keep in mind, we tried karate, well we went to a demo and info night, and all the yelling from the sensai scared the bajeezus out of him, he doesnt cope with loud stuff at all, and was confused as to why the guy was yelling, they were extremely strict as well, if u were even 2 minutes late you were forced to sit out and do something (cant remember exactly) but yeah it was far too overwhelming for my ultra sensative anxious guy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

CMF  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother has autism and is 19. He's been doing 10 pin bowling every week since he was about 6 or 7 and loves it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm thanks Diamond Eyes I'll keep that in mind. At gymnastics at the moment as I said they have a bunch of.... unruly... kids in the class, so they've had to make a bunch of really strict rules about discipline. DS hates it, and gets really upset about it because he hates getting into trouble, especially when he hasn't done anything wrong. for eg, they now have a 'no touching' rule, for hitting/wrestling/inappropriate touching, but last week he accidently touched a kid with his hand while warming up, the kid dobbed for 'touching', and DS got his name on the board. He was really upset because it was obviously unintentional.
    It's really disappointing that the class is making him want to quit, but I've had a good chat to him and tried to seperate the 2 issues, ie do you want to be away from THAT class, or do you not like the sport, and he says he kind of likes it but doesn't love it. And as I've said, he has NO body strength so will never progress IMO.

Well that turned into abit of a vent there sorry LOL, but yes the harsh discipline could bother him so thanks for mentioning it. Maybe I'll suggest a trial class for him and see how he goes.

I might look into bowling too seeing as so many people are suggesting it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Note: none of my children have a dx, but I identify with traits and beleive that my daughters show some traits.

My daughters enjoy drama class and an amateur theater group.

My daughters also attend Girls Brigade (similar to scouts, but run by the Baptist Church) and have enjoyed it whilst younger, but seem to drop out in their teens. When we attended a church that also ran a Boys Brigade, my girls were jealous of the activities the boys got to do (such as archery).

Thier father also takes them speed skating, which seems to have worked out well.

As a teenager, I joined a roleplaying (Dungeons and Dragons) club, but it was primarily adults.

Another possibility is something that involves the whole family - such as team bowling, or a medieval reenactment group.

My other suggestion would be too look at a special interest group, such as model train making, stamp collecting, etc. Most of these activities will be groups geared to adults rather than children, but in my opinion a child with Aspergers may feel more comfortable associating with adults than other children.