+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    DS calls his penis a doddle
    My boys know its a penis but they say doodle as well. On one episode of spongebob where he gets a song stuck in his mind called 'musical doodle' was extra hilarious for my kids lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Don't pussy foot around with stupid made up names
    Am I the only incredibly immature person to laugh at "pussy foot"?

Meanwhile, my DS is only 16 months but he has a doodle or willy, balls or nuts and a bum, and I'd refer to my niece's as a fanny. They also have feeties, toesies and occasionally a noggin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

austmum  (17-06-2012),Urban Tumbleweed  (18-06-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually don't know any grown men who refer to their manhood as a penis*. They use the c word, generally. I have been told off by male friends for using penis as a term because they think it sounds too medical. And I wouldn't want my partner talking about my vulva either. It just isn't an attractive word. I do use technical terms with my children, but when they are old enough to not use them on the bus I will probably go with colloquial terms.

* or testicles. Definitely never heard testicles. Not even from a British dude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I'd be happier if women didn't think fo their vaginas as horrible secretive things that are so shameful they need code names.
    I think most grown women who use other terms do so simply because they find "vagina" a bit too clinical and gross, conjuring up image of pap smears and pelvic exams. I know I do! Same sorta reason we say AF/period instead of menstruation and sex instead of coitus. Not shameful or taboo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We say Vagina, Penis and bottom.

ETA I have numerous times called it a Vag, but quickly corrected in relation to my children!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DP calls his a penis. Or a bunch of other crass things, but penis gets used too.

I call my vagina random stupid things too, if I think being vulgar is going to better suit the situation and make people laugh... lol... but it's when people actually choose to say vagina, but whisper it (and not because there are people around listening either)... it weirds me out.

I dunno, I'm one of those people who thinks we'd all be a lot better off if we weren't so scared of discussing our various body parts... and I think a start to that is at least feeling comfortable with using words.

Of course, nobody uses correct terminology for everything, but there are acceptable "layman" terms for many body parts that EVERYONE uses and understands. There seems to be no such words for our genitals and so I don't see the problem in using the right ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think using nicknames is ok, as long as they are used interchangeably with actual genital names. I had the mother of one of my DD's friends come to me upset that my DD had argued that a vagina was a vagina and not a "Mary". This was in prep!

Mine still say giny, peenie occasionally, and bottom, but they know vagina/vulva/penis/anus etc.. just like they say noggin, tummy, piggies but know they are heads, stomachs and toes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Correct terms will be taught in this house because they are just words and body parts. Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. Also for to afford them more protection against abuse. They need to be able to say the words if the worst was to happen. It means that there is no way there is a misunderstanding of what is happening.

Though having said that DS is 2 1/2 and knows it as his doodle. But most people would know what a doodle was. We also say penis, but doodle is what he recognises it as.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally prefer the term 'Vajingo', aka Elliot style (from Scrubs). It makes it sound... sparkly

I am a big believer in using the correct terms for the correct body parts, so it will be vag1na, pen1s, and chest for our DD. I will also teach her about her body and appropriate touch, and that there are some parts of the body that are more private than others, etc, so when she is older, I'll tell her that she can call them girl bits/ boy bits if she prefers to do so - for example, if telling her teacher, where she got hit by a ball in the playground. However, I do believe it is important that she refers to and understands correct body terms first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I call my son's penis his penis.

"X, when you finish doing a wee you need to shake your penis"

When he pointed to my vagina in the bath and said 'poo' I said "no, that's where mummy does wee's" and that was it. If he asked I'd call it my vagina.

It works well for us.