+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Vagina/vulva/yoni/bum
    Penis/testicles/bum

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use vagina (for the general area) and penis but also at times the accepted slang names are ok - doodle, wee wee etc Please don't go down the cutesy butterfly/fairy/tootsie path it is silly, maybe confusing and maybe dangerous.

On a lighter note I had some friends who called their penis their "doo dah". Was fine until the youngest heard the song Camp Town Races playing in a public place!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we have girl bits and boy bits but recently have said that daddy has a pen!s(without the ! mark. She also calls breasts bobbies but she is only 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I don't think it's lying to your kids. It's just different terminology. It's child friendly language. And I'm sorry but if my DS says "Someone is playing with my dinkle" that's going to get the same reaction as "Someone is playing with my penis". It's the same body part. I'm not any less complacent because we use a different word. I understand what he's saying, and so would anyone that knows him (ie. our whole family and all of our friends).

To say to your child "This is your mandible" will only confuse them. To any other child their age, it's a chin. You say why lie to them. I say why confuse them?

it will get the same reaction from YOU.

It won't from a teacher/carer if that is who he decided to reach out to help for...it sounds like it could be "drink"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

austmum  (17-06-2012),misskittyfantastico  (17-06-2012),SassyMummy  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    it will get the same reaction from YOU.

It won't from a teacher/carer if that is who he decided to reach out to help for...it sounds like it could be "drink"
    I disagree. A normal care taker for the child will understand and I know that if any child told me someone touched their fairy, I would ask them to point to it to confirm my suspicion.

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    lets go find the fairy garden, will have a whole new meaning....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (17-06-2012),misskittyfantastico  (17-06-2012),SassyMummy  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh please I'm not lying to my son by saying willy and girly bits. I refer to my own genitals as my bits/girly bits and DH refers to his own willy and goolies (testicles) (except in the bedroom when they get naughtier names heehee) and yet we are very open in talking about them. How is this making it a "taboo subject"?? We just prefer a less-clinical way of talking in our family. My breasts are "boobies", our buttocks are "bottoms" and our stomachs are "tummies". What's the big deal? We are a very open and communicative family.

We are not judging those who prefer the accurate anatomical names so please give it a rest for those of us who use other words.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

knomie  (18-06-2012),Urban Tumbleweed  (18-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When she's old enough to understand, it will be vagina.

For the moment, it's fanny.

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I realise this is a whole other topic but I refuse to parent defensively out of fear so the whole in-case-of-abuse argument doesn't do it for me. If something uncomfortable for my child is happening he will have access to many sources of support and what he calls his willie will be the smallest obstacle.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

CakeyLoaf  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've never ever heard anyone use the term "dinkle," for penis so if a kid said that to me, I'd probably half listen and think they were just rambling normal crap that kids tend to ramble. I'd probably go, "Oh, yeah? Cool," without even thinking.

There are some cutesy silly names a LOT of people use though... in Australia, I think most people will understand what a fanny, doodle and willy are... so I think if you're going to use stupid names, you might as well pick a common one that most people will understand to be explaining the gential region. Not some obscure name to save face in case your kid mentions it in public. I'd rather my daughter loudly yell, "MUM! I'M TOUCHING MY 'GINA!" (as she did when she was 2, on a crowded train...) and embarrass the hell out of me, than be getting sexually abused, yet nobody know because the only person she confesses to does not understand that her "little friend," or "butterfly," or "petal," or something is actually her vagina.

I also remember my parents deciding I was "too old," to use fanny/doodle after all the years of previously using it, and it alone. I felt EMBARRASSED to have to use another name. All my life it had only been a fanny... then as soon as I started to develop, I was forced to call it something else, and it made me feel really ashamed for some reason. I think it's probably just better if kids call it that from the get-go and then there's no embarrassment.

I even have adult friends who will mention their "bits" and either whisper "vagina" so nobody can hear it, as if it's a horrible dirty word, or call it, thanks Oprah/Grey's Anatomy, their va-jayjay. I have no idea why that word is deemed a good choice by adult women, and vagina is so filthy it requires a hush-hush voice... but meh. I'd be happier if women didn't think fo their vaginas as horrible secretive things that are so shameful they need code names.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

austmum  (17-06-2012),Californication  (17-06-2012),CMF  (17-06-2012),GreenMama  (17-06-2012),Lillynix  (18-06-2012),misskittyfantastico  (17-06-2012),WorkingClassMum  (17-06-2012)