+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    All 3 pregnancies... Have eaten deli meat, licked spoons, eaten cake mix and cookie dough, sushi......

Healthy, happy kids and healthy happy pregnancies.
    Ditto with 2 pregnancies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I made ice cream with egg yolks and cookies with raw egg this morning, and will eat the ice cream and ate the cookie dough.

The chances of listeria are so low. Like 60 cases a year across all of Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all your replies! I won't do it again.. i just also wanted to put DPs mind at ease. It was soooo yum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutbubs View Post
    I'm making cupcakes..and of course that means once your finished you get to lick the spoon. Yum.

Except DP had to ruin it by casually saying to me.. 'Umm.. doesn't that have raw egg in it?' Argh???!!

So.. Please tell me about your spoon licking experiences and your perfectly healthy babies so I don't start to become a crazy person!
    I have done it so many times it's not funny. You'll be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I made ice cream with egg yolks and cookies with raw egg this morning, and will eat the ice cream and ate the cookie dough.

The chances of listeria are so low. Like 60 cases a year across all of Australia.
    The raw egg thing is a salmonella risk, rather than a listeria risk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is salmonella fatal to babies, like listeria?

If not, even less guilt for my raw egg consumption, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end of the day, you can't turn back the clock...a few times I've eaten something that's a no-no by accident, but everything has been ok.
    It does make me a bit cross though, when I hear people say "I ate x, y, z (knowingly) and my baby was fine"- just because your baby was ok doesn't make it a good idea. It is only a very small percentage of women and babies that are affected, but when they are, the consequences can be devastating- I have seen it first hand. So my advice is chill out about what has happened knowing the chances of a big problem are very small, but don't repeat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The risk with salmonella is that you may be so sick that your dehydration etc may affect the baby, but no it doesn't directly affect the bub like listeria does.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Artful For This Useful Post:

MinkyJ  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    you will be fine.
    if the egg was off, you certainly would have noticed!
    listeria and salmonella need time to grow, they are found in foods made with raw egg (like mayo) that have been left to sit at nice warm temps.
    unless you made the cake mix yesterday, sat it on the counter since then i wouldn't worry.
    i ate mayo through my pregnancy as hubby is a chef. perfectly fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made carrot cake the other week, licked the beaters and the spoon (had too!)

Then I got really bad stomach aches... I then realised there was raw egg and I was an idiot...

What I DIDN'T know I'd gotten gastro from someone at work. ha ha ha. totally unrelated. Baby fine!