+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birth certificate question

Hi, I have a question regarding my babies birth certificate. Me and her father are no longer together, but he want her to have both our last names. Hes pretty much a dead beat, I dont paticularly want her to carry his name, but dont really have a choice.
    My question is, how do I order put last names on the birth certificate? I plan to drop his and only use mine in day to day life (he knows this). Also, under what circumstances will I need to use her "full" name (can I just use mine for medicare and stuff)? Thanks for ur help

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    he will be required to sign the birth certificate to be named on it.
    for things where you would need to use the bubs official name is basically anything official- government agencies(centrelink, medicare etc...) as well as schooling and CCC.
    I would be reluctant to be bullied into adding his name as my child has a unusually long name and it is nothign but trouble for us wiht everything. Hyphenated names are a lot more popular now but I guess at the end of the day your the one submitting and signign the birth cert and the one who would probably be filling out school forms etc... in the future so it is ultimately yoru decision not his.

Just something else to consider- I looked at yoru posts to see if bub was here yet or not and found she is (Congratulations shes beautiful!) BUT maybe edit the post where you use her full name as it can be googled which would lead him to here and findign you and then this post and any others...(can be an issue for many single mummies)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD had to have FOB's name (hyphenated) as well. I have everything (including medicare, centrelink) in just my name. Set up those two before you get the birth certificate, you'll be fine. The only thing she'll need her full name for now is passport, licence, and maybe bank accounts.

BDM put our names in alphabetical order, mine is last.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaBear View Post
    he will be required to sign the birth certificate to be named on it.
    for things where you would need to use the bubs official name is basically anything official- government agencies(centrelink, medicare etc...) as well as schooling and CCC.
    I would be reluctant to be bullied into adding his name as my child has a unusually long name and it is nothign but trouble for us wiht everything. Hyphenated names are a lot more popular now but I guess at the end of the day your the one submitting and signign the birth cert and the one who would probably be filling out school forms etc... in the future so it is ultimately yoru decision not his.

Just something else to consider- I looked at yoru posts to see if bub was here yet or not and found she is (Congratulations shes beautiful!) BUT maybe edit the post where you use her full name as it can be googled which would lead him to here and findign you and then this post and any others...(can be an issue for many single mummies)!
    Oh thank you, I never thought of that.

He has signed the birth certificate, I just havent filled in all the.details yet. If I left his name out, wouldnt he be able to take me to court or whatever over it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    My DD had to have FOB's name (hyphenated) as well. I have everything (including medicare, centrelink) in just my name. Set up those two before you get the birth certificate, you'll be fine. The only thing she'll need her full name for now is passport, licence, and maybe bank accounts.

BDM put our names in alphabetical order, mine is last.
    Awesome, thank you. Thats good to know. It sucks that he thinks he desrves to be on there at all, I hate the idea of having to write his name every time I write hers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanuthead For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    Oh thank you, I never thought of that.

He has signed the birth certificate, I just havent filled in all the.details yet. If I left his name out, wouldnt he be able to take me to court or whatever over it?

If he has signed already and his name isnt on it put it as solely your name. He should have made sure he was happy with it when he signed! if he contests it then he would simply have to pay the fee to BDM and have you agree to allow him to change bubs name. TBH and I know some would/will disagree, put your name only and dont mention it again to him unless he asks then oops it was a BDM mistake!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he has signed already and his name isnt on it put it as solely your name. He should have made sure he was happy with it when he signed! if he contests it then he would simply have to pay the fee to BDM and have you agree to allow him to change bubs name. TBH and I know some would/will disagree, put your name only and dont mention it again to him unless he asks then oops it was a BDM mistake!
    And they do make mistakes. They recorded the wrong hospital on DD's BC, they lost my paperwork...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fully agree