I need some tips on how to save some $$$ around the house.
We have just been hit with a huge amount of bills, hospital stays and car problems we are out by $714
We knew the bills were coming and were putting away money each pay but we didn't budget for the other things to come.
I know we should have more savings for emergencies but DHs job doesn't pay the best, we have been paying off a lot of debt and haven't really been able to save this year.
But our personal luxuries haven't helped and I have now cut back on all of them.
Luckily my husband and I have been able to ask around the family for odd jobs for cash, I have gotten a few more hours at work, according to our budgets we should just cover it all
Our biggest bill was our electricity $600.
And the water bill was $300.
Looking back we can see where we have gone wrong and gotten lazy..
I think is my fault :guilty:
.. Dryer.. Heater.. Leaving the TV running.. A 4 foot fish tank with 1 little gold fish sitting in it.. That has the filter, heater and light running on it 24/7. All the other goldfish died and I have just left the 1 in there.
And many other things like long showers.. Filling the washing machine to full for a few items etc.
So to avoid bills like this in the future this is what I have done so far.
• put the gold fish in a nice large glass bowl. Put the big fish tank in storage.
• only have the TV running when we are watching it.
• no more heater.
• turned off all appliances that we don't use regularly like the computer.
• turned off the bar fridge that never gets used.
• turning everything off at the switch that aren't in use.
And turning all switches of when we go to bed.
• no lights are used during the day, if it's dark I'll open up the curtains, and if I need the light I make sure I turn it off when I'm done.
• only using the washing machine when we have a big load.
• hanging washing up.. Ugh lol.
• Showers at the Gym.. I pay a membership and go every day so why not use it! Dh also have a membership and goes every 2nd day.
• using some of the water from DDs bath on the plants.
Now some of this might sound extreme lol, but when I have my mind set on something I tend to go a bit overboard!
Really hoping to be more sensible with our money and to be prepared for the next time our bills roll around!
Please tell me what you do?
Or if anything I'm doing is wrong.
I'm really in the money saving mode right now and will take on and absorb any tips you have to offer
P.s dishwasher?? Is it better to wash by hand?
Or is it better to use it when it's full and put it on Eco wash?