+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please! Give me tips to save money in the home!

I need some tips on how to save some $$$ around the house.

We have just been hit with a huge amount of bills, hospital stays and car problems we are out by $714
    We knew the bills were coming and were putting away money each pay but we didn't budget for the other things to come.
    I know we should have more savings for emergencies but DHs job doesn't pay the best, we have been paying off a lot of debt and haven't really been able to save this year.
    But our personal luxuries haven't helped and I have now cut back on all of them.

Luckily my husband and I have been able to ask around the family for odd jobs for cash, I have gotten a few more hours at work, according to our budgets we should just cover it all

Our biggest bill was our electricity $600.
    And the water bill was $300.
    Looking back we can see where we have gone wrong and gotten lazy..
    I think is my fault :guilty:
    .. Dryer.. Heater.. Leaving the TV running.. A 4 foot fish tank with 1 little gold fish sitting in it.. That has the filter, heater and light running on it 24/7. All the other goldfish died and I have just left the 1 in there.
    And many other things like long showers.. Filling the washing machine to full for a few items etc.

So to avoid bills like this in the future this is what I have done so far.
    • put the gold fish in a nice large glass bowl. Put the big fish tank in storage.
    • only have the TV running when we are watching it.
    • no more heater.
    • turned off all appliances that we don't use regularly like the computer.
    • turned off the bar fridge that never gets used.
    • turning everything off at the switch that aren't in use.
    And turning all switches of when we go to bed.
    • no lights are used during the day, if it's dark I'll open up the curtains, and if I need the light I make sure I turn it off when I'm done.
    • only using the washing machine when we have a big load.
    • hanging washing up.. Ugh lol.

Water.
    • Showers at the Gym.. I pay a membership and go every day so why not use it! Dh also have a membership and goes every 2nd day.
    • using some of the water from DDs bath on the plants.

Now some of this might sound extreme lol, but when I have my mind set on something I tend to go a bit overboard!
    Really hoping to be more sensible with our money and to be prepared for the next time our bills roll around!

Please tell me what you do?
    Or if anything I'm doing is wrong.
    I'm really in the money saving mode right now and will take on and absorb any tips you have to offer

P.s dishwasher?? Is it better to wash by hand?
    Or is it better to use it when it's full and put it on Eco wash?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Since you've talked a lot about saving water, I thought I would give one more tip. Here's one thing I do to save water - whenever I need to run the tap to get it to the right temperature, I use the jug to collect the variable temperature water and then tip it into the washing machine - which'll reduce the amount of water needed next time we do a washing load.

For example, when washing dishes I use hot water and it always comes out cold to start with - so I will hold the jug under the spout to catch the water whilst it is warming up - then take it out to the washing machine and tip it in.

Once finished if you need to run the water cold again, do the same thing so you don't waste any of that water either.

----------

I've been told that a dishwasher uses less water than handwashing, though I don't know what conditions they used to determine that.

For example, when handwashing, I start with just a small amount of water in the sink, and rinse the dishes over the sink so that it fills up as I am going. Then once the sink is full enough, I'll switch to rinsing in the other sink - with the plug in. Once that sink it half full, I'll stop using fresh water to rinse and just dunk them in the rinsing sink to rinse instead. Then when the washing sink gets too greasy, I'll empty it out, add some detergent to the rinsing sink, and start washing in that one instead.

============

The other thing I've done a lot of research into is broadband internet and home phone bill. If you are paying more than $70 per month for these two combined (in a major metropolitan area) then you are paying too much. And if you ahve very light usage, you can get as low as $15-$30 per month.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 17-06-2012 at 12:57.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you're doing pretty much everything you can.

Just wanted to add to a pp- catch the shower water as you are waiting for it to heat (when showering at home obviously) and empty that and the bath water (after a bath) into the washing machine as well to save water on the fill cycle.

As for the dishwasher, I've read that sink washing dishes takes about 15-20 litres per full sink. I use my dishwasher at the end of the day on an Eco wash cycle and it uses 13 litres in total. If I was washing dishes by hand I'd probably use 3-4 sink fulls of water over the day for all of our dishes (2 adults and 3 kids).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! Lots of savings to be had already. Go You!!!!

I found that when I started being really careful about food wastage and storage I saved heaps.
    +I started buying fruit and veg from the grocer instead of the supermarket. They last longer so you don't end up throwing out the science experiment in the bottom of the fridge at the end of the week If thu'rr starting to look a bit dodgy make a pie or soup or casserole.
    +If you want to get really hard core, do menu plans and write your shopping list from that, and ONLY buy what's on the list
    +Use up everything. For example, roast a chook for dinner. Leftover meat for sandwiches, then boil up the carcass with an onion and some herbs for stock to freeze, or put more veggies in and make a soup. Don't let anything go to waste! You're just throwing money away!
    +Shop at Aldi I you have one.

Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nagari For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DHS pays one electricity and one gas bill per year up to $500 each if you need help.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanzanite For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Reassess how many cleaning products you buy.. Almost all are unnecessary. Vinegar, dish washing liquid and bicarb plus bleach are ALL that I use. (apart from natural washing powder or my soap nuts for laundry)

***Sent from my phone***

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Nagari  (17-06-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    budget and meal plan, plus eat up your pantry/freezer regularly. if we dont i find so much out of date food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagari View Post
    +Use up everything. For example, roast a chook for dinner. Leftover meat for sandwiches, then boil up the carcass with an onion and some herbs for stock to freeze, or put more veggies in and make a soup. Don't let anything go to waste! You're just throwing money away!
    I wonder if this sort of thing can be reverse psychology. Perhaps the cost of electricity to boil the carcass for stock might be more expensive than purchasing the stock elsewhere.